Return the shaft to its address position at impact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveT

In Five Lessons, didn't Hogan show his downswing "plane" skewed to the right ..??!!!

What did this do to his D-plane??? ... :eek:

Was he not just accounting for the "outwardness?" The literalist brigade (I was a padawan) hammered Hogan's plane shifting to the right. Does this suggests he may have understood the resultant path idea in his own way? Plausible?

Some of the greatest ball-strikers have returned the shaft to the same vertical angle at impact as address. But the majority do not, including Nicklaus and Woods. FWIW, more often than not, when I draw the plane at impact on a Tour pro, it will run along the underside of the right elbow when I return the video to address.

footwedge

Why not rephrase the question as to whether or not there is any merit of the club coming into the ball flat, not coming in at the same at address since address set up varies widely.

Its not an imperative, but is it more than coincidence that that the supposed greatest strikers came in flat? Hogan, Nelson, Snead, Knudson, and Trevino.

That's awesome, it's not a coincidence as it's a result of their great swings, right, but they all swung differently how did that happen but their all great...lol. Where's Horton? Is anything an imperative? Sounds like TGM speak.

Last edited:

footwedge

Here's an opinion from a poster at Richie's forum who is a really knowledgeable teacher IMO. A little better answer than "they had great swings".

Re: Same shaft angle at address and impact?
« Reply #4 Today at 2:05pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would say if you setup on the elbow plane then yes it would be a good thing to strive for. If you set up on the hands plane the shaft will be slightly higher at impact but still on the same plane angle and have the same rate of closure.

S

SteveT

Why this obsession with the artificial Address position ..??!!!

SJO

New
Faldo didn't have high hands at setup and he had it on the shaft plane line at impact. Also, Tiger does do it, on his mid-short irons anyway. Just saying.

I think the reason it might be important is because you are returning the club to it's proper lie angle.

ej20

New
Faldo didn't have high hands at setup and he had it on the shaft plane line at impact. Also, Tiger does do it, on his mid-short irons anyway. Just saying.

I think the reason it might be important is because you are returning the club to it's proper lie angle.

Faldo and Tiger are both very tall so they tend to bend over a little more giving the impression of low hands.

I think low and high hands is perhaps not a complete description as you get players of varying heights.A better way to descibe it would be the angle of the shaft and the right forearm.Players with a large angle will have a tougher time getting the shaft back planed.They will address the ball with toe of the clubhead pointed up(wrong lie angle) and that's not how you want it at impact.

Both Faldo and Tiger don't have a large angle particularly as the clubs get shorter.

You hit the nail on the head when you said it's about returning the club to it's proper lie angle.If you address the ball at it's proper lie angle then you will more likely return it there.

S

SteveT

If you're neurotically obsessed with returning to the Address position at Impact, you should spend countless hours practicing your golfswing in that big plastic inclined hullahoop thingy that was the craze many years ago. Wonder why it was only a fad that fizzled out like so many other golf gizmos ...:confused:

Tiger doesn't do it on short irons, either.
[media]http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/ipgapro/tigerElbowPlane.jpg[/media]

For what it is worth, Dr Zick at the Anti-Summit said returning the club on a plane described by a point between the shoulders at impact and then down to the ball seemed to work for him. This was based on heuristics not science so more work needs to be done.

If true then setup plane is not the ideal impact plane and I believe Brian said something to the effect that where the hands are at setup doesn't matter in this regard. I would add: as long as you can do all the other things necessary to bring the club down powerfully into the "Zick Plane"

I struggled with this in my TGM days - zillions of setup/grip/impact combinations and all of it useless. I like Dr. Zick's suggestion better - simple.

Drew

S

SteveT

Drew .... there is a 'dynamic' aspect to determining what happens approaching and at Impact. The body is rotating, the arms are lashing, the club and shaft are flexing and torquing all over.

To prescribe a static plane in all this motion is problematic.

Everybody's Impact position is different because everybody's swing mechanics and body structure are different ... and that's why I ask posters for their physical statistics before making suggestions.

Blanket statements about clubhead to hand positions at Impact are dubious without taking ALL factors into account. Anything less is "unscientific" ...!!!!

SteveT

Good point. You have to be suspicious of magic bullets. However,this off the top of my head. Isn't Dr. Zick's plane variable with with all the elements you mentioned? For example, if I am tall the Zick plane is different, all else being equal, than if I am short. If I use a short club the Z plane is different than the plane for a driver. If I am a bit hunched over then a different plane than if I have a more upright posture. So too for flat vs steep shoulder turn.

Maybe Dr. Zick is trying to describe a plane that automatically compensates for all the variables? Don't know.

Of course if the variables are too extreme, maybe delivering the club on Z plane either becomes impossible or results in a suboptimal delivery of force to the ball.

Anyway the Anti Summit video explains it better than I could, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.