Sergio Garcia Analysis by Brian Manzella...Golf Magazine Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
With apologies to Brady Riggs (who did a good job on his Sergio analysis), I wanted to see if I could fit my "style" into a magazine's format.

Well—what do you think?

briansshot.jpg

Nice work Brian. I would expect nothing less from you. The camera angle is low on the Nicklaus picture making the shaft look "higher" than it would be. Believe it or not, I have received numerous emails from people critical of the camera angle in articles I have written, something not in my control of course.

Red

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Enjoyed both articles. What I enjoy the most is Sergio's swing. To me it is just a fabulous pattern...wish I could do it.

Nice job(s).

Brian,

Good work Brian.

I remember you said that getting more bent over at address helps you get more 'bunched up' or gives you more delay with the accumulators.

How come Sergio can achieve maximum delay but stands very upright?

=========================

Having heard you analyse swings over the years, I noticed that when players are slightly below/above the TSP, you consider them to be ON the TSP. Here, I think Sergio is a little below the TSP.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
In the last few days i was able to reflect on my original post and the fact that it was done in haste without consideration for the difficulty of doing swing analysis in limited space to a wide audience. That being said, my only point was that through the years, i wish they were a touch more specific so the reader wouldn't be lead to believe that certain positions were universally good for all golfers. Again, i apologize and excellent job, Brian.

nwb

New
Great post Brian. I have realised that I swing down the turned shoulder plane (I guess not much of a suprise as Jack was my idol when learning!). I always thought i was coming into the ball too steep (I have a high ball flight and distance is not a problem). I have always been concerend that i am not returning the club to the original shaft plane at impact, like Faldo, Price and Sergio. But seeing that I come down on the same plane as Jack makes me feel a whole lot happier! Do you think one is better than another or is it very much whatever suits you naturally is best?

Leek

New
Great job. Your page layout skill set and software is very, very good!

You did open a can of worms. Many will be asking you how to float load now!

I enjoyed how TGM terms were used in the analysis and instead of "over-complicating" matters like many think they would, they actually made things very clear. They didn't over-complicate things because you didn't let them :) .

Having heard you analyse swings over the years, I noticed that when players are slightly below/above the TSP, you consider them to be ON the TSP. Here, I think Sergio is a little below the TSP.

he only looks below the TSP because of the small amount of srist cock he has at the top. his ahnds are on the TSP but the club isnt as it is pointing much more at the sky. if he cocked his wrists more, and the club went to parallel, it would look alot more 'on plane'

Great article Brian, i just love float loaders.
When Garcia hits bad shots, is it because his body on the down swing get to fast?

tank

New
That's the kind of analysis that would get me buying golf magazines again. Loaded with information, but presented in a way that almost anyone coud understand and appreciate.

You're good.

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
Good article Brian, I liked it but I still think it was a little too technical for Golf Magazines. Remember how poor a base they have, however you might have been trying to educate the masses?

NICE

Nicely done Brian, I'm ready to sign up for a subscription!! I think this analysis could work in ANY golf magazine and is understandable by "the masses".

A question.... is it a plane shift if the butt end of the club no longer points at the target line on the downswing (or is it an "off-plane shift"). I have a bit of Sergio in my swing, but I'm afraid I don't keep the butt end of the club pointing at the baseline on the downswing as Sergio does (mine will point over the top of the ball more than Sergio's does).

Well written. I don't think this would be too technical for anybody.

In case you decide to publish as is, please note a spelling change from "conveted" to "coveted."

Status
Not open for further replies.