Sergio Garcia & The Tumble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically speaking it allows you to keep the hands inside the sweetspot plane and turn the face to the ball earlier. This allows you to use the right arm as hard as you want and not worry about squaring the face. The holy grail for me personally (and all you underplaners)

Ok, thanks. It just seems pretty rare, as most pros that I have looked at have the left arm more out at that position.

Technically speaking it allows you to keep the hands inside the sweetspot plane and turn the face to the ball earlier. This allows you to use the right arm as hard as you want and not worry about squaring the face. The holy grail for me personally (and all you underplaners)

Great insight and you can bet the hands are low through impact. I went and looked at a few more down the line swings and even with longer clubs, like Creamer's driver, the amount of vertical doesn't really change. I was thinking that the longer the club, the less vertical.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Great insight and you can bet the hands are low through impact. I went and looked at a few more down the line swings and even with longer clubs, like Creamer's driver, the amount of vertical doesn't really change. I was thinking that the longer the club, the less vertical.

That would normally be the case. The more out the left arm the more late roll or roll/arch of the left wrist is required. You can do this but id like to strive for more #3 accummulator roll early then right arm POW with a free wheeling clubhead.

sorry, i'm a little behind on this discussion, but what do you all mean by "vertical" left arm? is this in the tgm meaning of vertical?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Not mechanically inclined

I'm actually trying to post a video of this. Some, like jbrunk from tulsa, were promised an underplane video and i think im just figuring out how to do it. But for now, i dont know wht TGM vertical is, I thought vertical was vertical, 90 degrees to the ground.

Kevin, if you need someone who might be a bit more "tech" inclined, feel free to send me the video and I'll get it up on the site. I may not be able to imbed a QT video like Brian can, but I can at least put it on YouTube and then imbed it that way.

Kevin, the golf swing is a very difficult thing to put into words. I sometimes come across group of words that need further explanation.

You wrote, "And as far as pressure, that clubface is as square as it could be from last parallel to the ball."

What does last parallel to the ball mean? Face can't be parallel to a round object.

This is similar to my question about Brian saying, "Clubface vertical to the ground." I can understand parallel to the ground or perpendicular to the ground, but vertical to the ground makes no sense to me. Care to take a stab at this one.

Thanks, (It's a sloooo day staring at the snow.)

Kevin, the golf swing is a very difficult thing to put into words. I sometimes come across group of words that need further explanation.

You wrote, "And as far as pressure, that clubface is as square as it could be from last parallel to the ball."

What does last parallel to the ball mean? Face can't be parallel to a round object.

This is similar to my question about Brian saying, "Clubface vertical to the ground." I can understand parallel to the ground or perpendicular to the ground, but vertical to the ground makes no sense to me. Care to take a stab at this one.

Thanks, (It's a sloooo day staring at the snow.)

I think he means the clubface is square to the path the club is taking (or perpindicular to the plane?) and the last parallel he's talking about is when the clubshaft is parallel to the ground. I could be wrong.

Left arm vertical to ground at the last parallel point would allow the swing to continue left more easily, correct? An underplaner would have the left arm pointing more towards the target line or more outward, is this what you are referring to Kevin?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Left arm vertical to ground at the last parallel point would allow the swing to continue left more easily, correct? An underplaner would have the left arm pointing more towards the target line or more outward, is this what you are referring to Kevin?

Absolutely. And holeouts post was right on as well.

Thanks Kevin, this cleared up a lot of questions I had about swinging left. Sergio's backswing ends up laid off slightly, what top of swing position makes it easier to get the left arm vertical at the last parallel position? laid off, cross the line? If a goal is to obtain the left arm vertical position at last parallel, what would we need to do before that point to make sure we get there? I think it is more than just handspeed as has been suggested.

Thanks Kevin, this cleared up a lot of questions I had about swinging left. Sergio's backswing ends up laid off slightly, what top of swing position makes it easier to get the left arm vertical at the last parallel position? laid off, cross the line? If a goal is to obtain the left arm vertical position at last parallel, what would we need to do before that point to make sure we get there? I think it is more than just handspeed as has been suggested.

I think that IF YOU NEED IT, a more vertical left arm would be most helped by the Tumble.

However, this is something that mainly just under-planers need.

I think. :D

My experimentation setting the plane board on the elbow plane the Sergio swinging left equates to keeping the entire shaft on the plane board to to follow through. IMHO Hogan did this better than Sergio. It helps to have a fluid pivot with no hip stall.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

Those without a lot of tricep or wrist strength might have to lay the club off to give the tumble a running start so to speak. Kids who learn to do this early like Fowler and Garcia lay it off. It its something you pick up as a fix to underplane i would suggest on line or slightly cross the line to acheive down hand path and a vert left arm.

I have been trying to get my hands lower through impact and have not been too successful. Until I saw this. I worked on this at the range today and can get really close to having a vertical left arm hitting irons. I had really good success at hitting the ball straight. There were some pushes and draws, but no real big hooks that I have been doing with even a pitching wedge.

But, when trying this with the woods and driver, it was a disaster. I could barely hit the ball.

But for now, i dont know wht TGM vertical is, I thought vertical was vertical, 90 degrees to the ground.

haha, i don't know what it is by definition either. i believe that it is used to describe hand and/or wrist conditions.
but, i do see what you are referring to now. i guess i just wasn't looking at the video correctly. an underplaner's hands would be further from their body, making the left arm not hang vertically, but at an angle.
sorry if i added any unnecessary confusion to the thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.