Sergio Garcia & The Tumble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I was just in awe looking at this swing. How does he ever miss? I am working on several things in my own swing (no, not the lag) that would be consistent with some of these positions. Does anybody else like this swing? I try so hard to not show preference, but to me this is reeeeally solid.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q_GIvKmvqI&feature=related[/media]

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Pretty incredible, I agree. It is one of my faves. Not for the lag, but for how he releases everything. He is not holding on to anything. Minimal shaft lean. Beautiful.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
His last parallel position has no equal. Level shoulders (no early tilt), vertical left arm and clubface just tipping toward the ball. Perfect.

Speed & Power, Accuracy...

I was just in awe looking at this swing. How does he ever miss? I am working on several things in my own swing (no, not the lag) that would be consistent with some of these positions. Does anybody else like this swing? I try so hard to not show preference, but to me this is reeeeally solid.

Beside the Backswing, I see no differences,
15 years old, Swing speed 110mph, Carry...240 Meters!

Iron FO

So powerful at impact and more important zeroed-out with a straight ball flight.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I see a huge difference. Your friend is pure but the clubface in the bottom half of the plane or downswing is waaay more open than Sergio causing a last second change in posture to square it up. Future tour player if he fixes that!!

I knew it...

I see a huge difference. Your friend is pure but the clubface in the bottom half of the plane or downswing is waaay more open than Sergio causing a last second change in posture to square it up. Future tour player if he fixes that!!

Ha ha I knew you gona mention the clubface...
I got that thanks.

ej20

New
The key to all these swings is the tremendous laying off of the club on the transition.

Now the question is whether you can teach that or not.Bit like teaching the elbow plane,you could ruin someone trying to get him there.

I would not teach this to anyone if I was a pro, the incredible hand speed, rotation and coordination is not taught.

I also wonder how this holds up under pressure, I know Sergio has collapsed a few times, not sure about Creamer though, whats her record in the major events.

How about the pivot on Sergio! A model of efficiency in the golf swing. Awesome. I would love to see some 3-d numbers on him as well as some Trackman numbers.

There's 2 kids at my course that swing very similar to Sergio. One has the float loading down, but swings too far right and hits the ball too high. Of course, he is a great driver of the ball and he's only 14 I think.

The other is an 11 year old GIRL who is already one of the top girls in her age class and has a better swing than most of the girls I've seen on the LPGA and Duramed tour. Her father came up to me a few weeks ago and said he liked my swing and knew I played college golf and wanted some advice. Anyway, he was concerned about his daughter's float loading (he didn't know it was float loading, he just thought it looked weird) and I had to talk him off the ledge and tell him that she swings great and told him to take some pics of his daughter's swing and Hogan's and Sergio and he'll see that there's nothing wrong with float loading. If she develops a solid short game, I think there's no doubt she'll be on the LPGA.

3JACK

How about the pivot on Sergio! A model of efficiency in the golf swing. Awesome. I would love to see some 3-d numbers on him as well as some Trackman numbers.

Here's some Motion Golf Numbers. I couldn't make them all out.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU7RXXJisAY[/media]

3JACK

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I would not teach this to anyone if I was a pro, the incredible hand speed, rotation and coordination is not taught.

I also wonder how this holds up under pressure, I know Sergio has collapsed a few times, not sure about Creamer though, whats her record in the major events.

What do you mean, hand speed? And as far as pressure, that clubface is as square as it could be from last parallel to the ball.

You can teach some of these positions without the layoff or the lag i might add.

What do you mean, hand speed? And as far as pressure, that clubface is as square as it could be from last parallel to the ball.

You can teach some of these positions without the layoff or the lag i might add.

I think if you try and get into the positions that he does I highly doubt most amateurs are going to be able to have their hands catch up to the body/pivot and you are going to get a lot of dumping early.

I am not an expert but that is my opinion.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin, what's the significance of the vertical left arm?

Technically speaking it allows you to keep the hands inside the sweetspot plane and turn the face to the ball earlier. This allows you to use the right arm as hard as you want and not worry about squaring the face. The holy grail for me personally (and all you underplaners)

Status
Not open for further replies.