Should I Give Up Putting Practice - Or just quit golf altogether?

Status
Not open for further replies.
His movie is on my list while I'm convalescing from shoulders surgery. I'm sure you've seen it, what did you think?

A definite must Mike. He dominated the sport completely. The race footage is brilliant and shows him always just on the edge of losing control (similar to recent Open participants <irony>). And the astounding win with one gear is a highlight. Moving and you feel the tragedy of genius lost and a nice person too.

I play golf because it satisfies my "hunter-gatherer" need to see an untethered projectile arching through the air at a target that it will hit sucessfully. My entire game (ie. attitude on the course) goes as my ballstriking goes. I'm a good putter, if not a great green-reader. I have a nice shortgame, as long as I don't have to use it to get up and down for bogey multiple times on the front 9. My success at these aspects of the game is more predicated on my attitude than my skill level. If I'm mentally engaged, the skill level is there. That engagement is tied purely to my ballstriking.

I play to watch the ball come down from the clouds on the general line I want, with the general curvature I want, and land in the general area I want. 95% of my poor full swings are directly related to my inner poor sportsman telling me that I have picked the wrong club or the wrong shot to play. The problem is, the insolent goon won't tell me which one is the right shot or club to hit.

How can I use that information to better understand how to play golf, and ultimatly get more enjoyment out of golf?

Anyone of a reasonable standard, behind most bad shots is a poor or sloppy decision. The brain isn't committed or confident in the decision (or lack of one) and this causes tension.

Tense muscles are weak muscles, and they forget (Old martial art saying). Muscles don;t have memory but don;t do what is asked of them is there is unnecessary tension

If you are in two minds over a shot or club, ask yourself

"What is my decision?"

Most times you will have an answer. Be bold and whatever you decide commit to it.

You could even mark a scorecard showing how many shots on a hole you hit with a firm, committed decision. It doesn't have to be the right one, just a decision.

Even the "I know I shouldn't but I'm gonna try to carry it 270 over the water into the wind" is fine as long as that is what you commit to doing even if you don;t achieve the outcome.

Make your decision, do your best at making it happen and be satisfied with that.

Every hole you make a committed decision on every shot, you get to circle the hole number in your favourite sharpie colour.

If you play all 18 holes with a circle, strangely enough you'll probably find your lowest score :confused:

:cool:

Sometimes it helps to make the game separate,

1. a decision making one where you score decisions made and stuck to
2. and a scoring one which is the game of golf.

The game of golf is to score as low as possible and it's about getting your ball from the tee to hole in a few shots as possible.

If you truly just want to be a great ballstriker, just hit shots and don't worry or bother scoring.

We all know at least one great ballstriker who moans about choppers who outscore them :p

Darius goes on about one all the time.

Can I play too?

Casual round B
Tournament C, but the fat iron would bug the hell out of me.

Sure, you can play. But I'm not a sports psychologist by any means, so who knows where we'll end up with this. You answered the question the same way I would but let's go further yet.

Ok, same scenario: in a tournamant, fat iron shot into bunker, hole out bunker shot for birdie.

Option 1: The other guys you are suppossed to be playing with didn't show up so you are playing alone but the pro has sent around a scorer with you. The scorer is a kart boy and didn't know and wouldn't care that you hit the shot fat. On the next hole, a par 5, you are going to bomb a drive, then rip a 3 iron in there to 6 feet and make eagle. Again, kart boy hardly knows the difference.

Option 2: Everything the same but your playing partners did show. They witness the fat shot and they witness the eagle.

Which do you choose?

Ok, i think a lot of scratch golfers feel the same way you do. Let's delve further into your psyche. Answer the following question:

If given the choice in a casual round, which would you prefer?

A. A well struck middle iron with the right trajectory and curve, finishing at 8 feet, which you will 3-putt.

B. A reasonably well stuck shot, maybe a little thin, that ends at 15 feet, that you will lip out and tap in for par.

C. Middle iron struck fat, ball goes in bunker short, hole out bunker shot for birdie.

Same question for a tournament round, A, B, or C?

At the end of either round, I would pick C. But at the beginning of either round, I would choose A, because the well struck shot will give me confidence that I can get that bogey back later.

At the end of either round, I would pick C. But at the beginning of either round, I would choose A, because the well struck shot will give me confidence that I can get that bogey back later.

Welcome to Exhibition golf. When you are ready to stop at destination Actual Golf (lowest score) like the real slim shady "please stand up"

Ok, that's an insightful answer. It sounds to me like the game of golf to you is the actual process of playing a certain way. You're a purist that will only make a compromise for score after all other options have been exhausted. It would make sense then that your greatest anxiety would come when your ability to execute the process "properly" was threatened, ie, confusion and lack of commitment when trying to execute a particular shot.

What would be a specific example on the course of not being able to commit to a certain shot? Describe the typical circumstances.

Last edited:
For me, the worst thing I ever did for my putting was to let my brain get involved in trying to get better. I have a library FULL of putting books and every one of them took me further down the rabbit hole. Now all I work on is speed and green reading. Brian basically killed off my putting brain! LOL!!!

This thought helped me quite a bit today. I was more focused on the read instead of the stroke and things went much better. Thanks!

Sure, you can play. But I'm not a sports psychologist by any means, so who knows where we'll end up with this. You answered the question the same way I would but let's go further yet.

Ok, same scenario: in a tournamant, fat iron shot into bunker, hole out bunker shot for birdie.

Option 1: The other guys you are suppossed to be playing with didn't show up so you are playing alone but the pro has sent around a scorer with you. The scorer is a kart boy and didn't know and wouldn't care that you hit the shot fat. On the next hole, a par 5, you are going to bomb a drive, then rip a 3 iron in there to 6 feet and make eagle. Again, kart boy hardly knows the difference.

Option 2: Everything the same but your playing partners did show. They witness the fat shot and they witness the eagle.

Which do you choose?

Even though you're not a sports psychologist, I'm still listening and liking what I'm hearing.

With those options, it really doesn't matter to me who is watching, I want to score the best I can.

I do have too long term a memory though, because I will remember that fat shot and it's very hard to keep that thought out of my mind with every successive shot.

Ok, that's an insightful answer. It sounds to me like the game of golf to you is the actual process of playing a certain way. You're a purist that will only make a compromise for score after all other options have been exhausted. It would make sense then that your greatest anxiety would come when your ability to execute the process "properly" was threatened, ie, confusion and lack of commitment when trying to execute a particular shot.

What would be a specific example on the course of not being able to commit to a certain shot? Describe the typical circumstances.

This is true to some degree, but I am still very score driven. It's just that if I am even after 5 or 6 holes with a chip in, some good up and downs, and maybe 1 GIR, I tend to feel like it is a house of cards doomed to come crashing down. I don't tend to gain confidence in my ball striking after a really poor stretch. Like spktho said, my memory will betray me.

As far as examples go, I have 2 basic scenarios. The first doesn't happen as often now, as my lesson with Brian has given me a shot shape to play. I used to get up over a shot, typically a drive, and have no idea what shot the hole called for. Now, I get up and play my draw.

However, the second scenario happens regularly. I will pick my shot and determine which side of the hole I want to avoid, let's say water down the right. At some point during my swing, the brain will kick out a message of "But don't hit it in the woods left, either!" At this point, I will hit a glorious push fade into the water. The situation is just as prevalent when the hazards are on the opposite sides.

Last edited:
Take a gander at this famous putt (from 2:36 - 2:48)...

What percentage would you guys place on our ability to determine whether a putt drops or not (on average)? On a 15 footer like this one, how much can you control in determining the outcome?

This is true to some degree, but I am still very score driven. It's just that if I am even after 5 or 6 holes with a chip in, some good up and downs, and maybe 1 GIR, I tend to feel like it is a house of cards doomed to come crashing down. I don't tend to gain confidence in my ball striking after a really poor stretch. Like spktho said, my memory will betray me.

As far as examples go, I have 2 basic scenarios. The first doesn't happen as often now, as my lesson with Brian has given me a shot shape to play. I used to get up over a shot, typically a drive, and have no idea what shot the hole called for. Now, I get up and play my draw.

However, the second scenario happens regularly. I will pick my shot and determine which side of the hole I want to avoid, let's say water down the right. At some point during my swing, the brain will kick out a message of "But don't hit it in the woods left, either!" At this point, I will hit a glorious push fade into the water. The situation is just as prevalent when the hazards are on the opposite sides.

Never think of what you don't want to do. Think of what you want to do and commit.

Shot limit, I try that, but it doesn't seem to work. I need a Clear Key. Something to think about that gets my brain occupied after I have decided on the shot. That way it can't change my mind for me in my downswing!

Pre-shot routine.

Something you really take the time to develope and adhere to. Once you've decided on the shot and shape, focus on the pre-shot routine.

I always undervalued a good pre-shot routine but for me helped establish a point of no return so to speak. It also really helped that I took the time to plan out the routine, even though it's not long or elaborate, I feel obligated to make sure I stay consistant and follow the routine to a tee. It helps me shift the focus.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Everyone has to figure out their own recipe. Know why you miss (for me its a tendency to drag and get underplane, putting too), either in the long game or short game. Work on it, play without fear (despite the rantings of the inner poor sportsman). Play to play not for some silly score. Each round is different and not an extension of the previous round. Pick a general area to putt to and whatever happens, happens.

The key is to not be afraid to go out and shoot 100, likewise don't be afraid to shoot 65 either.

Everyone has to figure out their own recipe. Know why you miss (for me its a tendency to drag and get underplane, putting too), either in the long game or short game. Work on it, play without fear (despite the rantings of the inner poor sportsman). Play to play not for some silly score. Each round is different and not an extension of the previous round. Pick a general area to putt to and whatever happens, happens.

The key is to not be afraid to go out and shoot 100, likewise don't be afraid to shoot 65 either.

Agree, except for the putt target. Rather than a general area, I focus on the most minute (tiniest) thing possible (tip of grass blade, brown spot, nick around the cup, etc.) along my target path. That way, I am totally relaxed (feel no pressure) by the knowledge that I can miss that spot by the width of the ball and still have a good chance of rolling the putt into a 4.25" hole.

Agree, except for the putt target. Rather than a general area, I focus on the most minute (tiniest) thing possible (tip of grass blade, brown spot, nick around the cup, etc.) along my target path. That way, I am totally relaxed (feel no pressure) by the knowledge that I can miss that spot by the width of the ball and still have a good chance of rolling the putt into a 4.25" hole.

This is what Rotella talks about all the time and it's something that really helped me. Pick the smallest target you can and focus on that.

Bruce,
Use a claw, or a severely weak grip, and then go to the practice green and hit every putt with at least a 3 second pause before looking up. Get very involved in the listening for putts. Roll the putts mostly with dead weight so that you avoid the short ones as much as possible. Remember what Venturi said to Hogan about not caring and start evaluating your results AFTER the 2 week mark. Report back here!

The OP "reporting back" -

Had a "fat" grip installed on my TM Monza Corsa Friday AM. Played Friday and yesterday (different courses but ones that I know well).

Friday - no 3 putts - 4 one putts - no missed short putts (4' or less) as I did not leave myself any of these other than "tap-ins" from a foot or less. Did make 2 6' putts for par. Missed 2 6' for par Mediocre ball striking (hit only 9 greens). No birdies - score 5 over par. Missed 3 birdie putts in the 10' - 15' range - none hit very well.

Saturday - excellent ball striking round - 15 greens in reg including a par 5 in 2 shots. 3 birdies (30', 15', and 2 putt on the par 5). 5 other putts in the 20' to 30' range just barely missed (all just on the top edge and finished less than a foot past). Now the bad news - 2 3 putts (both from 20' - 25' range) - both 2nd putts missed from about 3' - one was dead straight, the other a slight R to L. Both missed badly 1 left and 1 right. On the 3 greens I missed - 2 bunkers - out to 5' both putts missed badly to the left. 1 difficult short side pitch to about 6' - putt missed badly to the left. Total score - 2 over par 74. Also had another 3 birdie chances in the 10' to 15' range - only medicore strokes on these - speed slightly off (too soft) and all pushed a couple inches to the right off line.

The "fat" grip feels good - playing again on Monday in a "Shamble" - hopefully there will be "short" putts that I can put to the test.

Bruce.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Bruce, Sounds good so far. It would be almost inconceivable that you would not still miss some of the short ones, or at least have some of the old feelings. How do most of them feel? Do you feel that there is some hope? If so, then continue!

http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfing-discussions/17376-little-levity-5.html

Post 49

Status
Not open for further replies.