Smash factor and clubhead weight (just added TrackMan data!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
Would a 190g and 200g clubhead have identical smash factors assuming everything else being equal ie. same speed at impact and center hit.

There seems to be some people that still think an accelerating clubhead at impact gives a higher smash factor than one that is not accelerating even though they have the same velocity.

I was just thinking perhaps this could be more a case of varying clubhead weight to explain the discrepency in smash factors between 2 players that have identical speed at impact.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Smash Factor...

Lets assume Mandrin and Zick are correct, and they is no "heavy hit"...

...or "Accelerating Hit."

If you understand the physics of impact in the basic form, you can answer this question:

How do you have two shots, with the same club, both sweetspot contact, both with the same clubhead speed at impact, but with a different smash factor?

It's pretty easy, but the first correct answer is King for a day!

Lets assume Mandrin and Zick are correct, and they is no "heavy hit"...

...or "Accelerating Hit."

If you understand the physics of impact in the basic form, you can answer this question:

How do you have two shots, with the same club, both sweetspot contact, both with the same clubhead speed at impact, but with a different smash factor?

It's pretty easy, but the first correct answer is King for a day!

I would guess the effective loft changes the smashfactor?

As for the original question a heavier driver head does increase the smashfactor (all other things being equal) but unfortunately i am to dumb to do the math to tell you exactly how much.

Dariusz J.

Would be too easy...but it has not been mentioned - different COR of a face for sure.

Impact of the shaft bend characteristics is also not without importance, I guess.

Cheers

Well if the clubhead speed is the same the ball speed must be different as that is the other factor in the calculation. What could change the ball speed is a deflected hit, out to in path that still hits the sweet spot but is a glancing blow and does not deliver the same ball speed as a square contact.

Different smash factor, but with the same club, same clubhead speed, same golf ball?

Smash factor is ball speed and clubhead speed. There aren't any more variables?

Does trackman get post impact shots too? Ball speed @ impact is not the same as ball speed at separation.

What ‘Bolt‘ said.
Leading edge perpendicular to the target line with a swing path that can produce that condition, through impact, would have superior smash factor to any swing, out to in, or in to out, or down the line, that compromises leading edge perpendicularity through impact, causing some degree of side-swipe – two dimensionally.

im a novice at this, but if clubface in one of the swings was not square and the other was.....would that affect the smash factor?.............ianJ scotland

But doesn't 5 and 5 just give you more ball speed?

,,, maybe there's more to 5 & 5 than I know...

I'm assuming that if you gave Charles Howell and Bubba Watson the same driver and hit it with the same speed, one would go farther than the other. CH hits down on it with his 11.5 degree head while BW hits up on it with a 7 degree head. The difference at the end is the club alignments which affect ball speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.