Steel shafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

Hi there,

I wonder how many people play with steel shafts also in their drivers, woods and hybrids. Comments are much welcomed.

Cheers

Sweet. You guys bring my belief in humanity...LOL. Anyone who plays steel with a driver ?

Cheers

I've been thinking about it. My last steel shafted driver was a Hogan 56, I believe. I still have it. It looks like a modern day 5 wood/metal.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I wonder how many people play with steel shafts also in their drivers, woods and hybrids. Comments are much welcomed.

Cheers
Dari,
Don't anymore, but I look back in fondness at the days that I did. You think certain people would gain from steel in this day and age?

Dariusz J.

I am 47 now, fat and not trained at all...and I have 3 drivers: LD version of SMT DeepBore, one of XXS Heavy Graffaloy Pro and my favourite Wishon Steel shaft - although they are for much higher speed swings. My SS is around 100 mph now, maybe 105 with graphite whippy crap. Never liked the feel of graphite; granted, my best drives were with graphite, but consistency is another tale.
Bought a persimmon driver and #4 wood recently on steel too - I shall see what it was in the 60-ies (the clubs are 1 year older than me...LOL). They will be a great addition to my McGregor blades from that era.
Graphite, steeper angles, bounce, dull leading edges, etc. make me puke...same as watching golf without punishment for bad shots.

Cheers

I am 47 now, fat and not trained at all...and I have 3 drivers: LD version of SMT DeepBore, one of XXS Heavy Graffaloy Pro and my favourite Wishon Steel shaft - although they are for much higher speed swings. My SS is around 100 mph now, maybe 105 with graphite whippy crap. Never liked the feel of graphite; granted, my best drives were with graphite, but consistency is another tale.
Bought a persimmon driver and #4 wood recently on steel too - I shall see what it was in the 60-ies (the clubs are 1 year older than me...LOL). They will be a great addition to my McGregor blades from that era.
Graphite, steeper angles, bounce, dull leading edges, etc. make me puke...same as watching golf without punishment for bad shots.

Cheers
LOL - You are a glutton for punishment, Dariusz. Sounds like you were born in entirely the wrong era. You do make me chuckle...
You think Ben Hogan once said "all these fancy-pants steel shafts and wound balls make me puke. Gimme the hickory shafts and gutta perchas and we'll show these kids a thing or two..."
BTW. How is Lodz at this time of year? Must be a bit on the brisk side...

Dariusz J.

LOL - You are a glutton for punishment, Dariusz. Sounds like you were born in entirely the wrong era. You do make me chuckle...
You think Ben Hogan once said "all these fancy-pants steel shafts and wound balls make me puke. Gimme the hickory shafts and gutta perchas and we'll show these kids a thing or two..."
BTW. How is Lodz at this time of year? Must be a bit on the brisk side...

Yep, probably you're right. I prefer to watch old true real golf, that separated men from boys.

Lodz - nothing great, dull and poor city, even snow is grayer here. Only people are great.

Cheers

Last edited:
5 wood steel shaft. Graphite for driver, 3 and hybrid. Tried steel in the driver when I was you get and stronger. Still went back to graphite. Get a V2 if you don't like whippy.

Dariusz J.

5 wood steel shaft. Graphite for driver, 3 and hybrid. Tried steel in the driver when I was you get and stronger. Still went back to graphite. Get a V2 if you don't like whippy.

My Graffaloy is very stiff, stiffer than my steel driver shaft. But the reaction is different, steel feels like a reward, not as a pan filled with mineral cotton.

Cheers

Lodz - nothing great, dull and poor city, even snow is grayer here. Only people are great.

Cheers
Yep, they certainly are. When I left the UK in 1999, the only Poles in England were the old boys left over from the Home Army in WWII. Now there's a thriving immigrant population. Thing is, before they leave Poland I'm guessing all the lads must have to watch James Bond movies in an attempt to help their assimilation because all the English girls just swoon at their chivalry and impeccable manners - Quite the spectacle apparently.
Anyway, sorry for threadjacking. Back to steel shafts!!;)

Last edited:

hp12c

New
Yep, probably you're right. I prefer to watch old true real golf, that separated men from boys. I believe Hogan would teach these pseudo-pros of today with persimmons and gutta percha balls provided courses are for men, not for spoilt kids or gays.

Cheers

Yo d whats up with the anti gay remark! U think gay men cant play great back then or now?

I played a TTDG x300 in my 919thi (43") until this past summer... I replaced it with a Talimonti PD80 TourX.

No looking back.

natep

New
The only steel shafted drivers I have are several old Taylor Made pittsburgh persimmons, and they're probably smaller than an actual persimmon. :)

I carry a steel shafted Hogan 1-iron though, its probably my favorite club and I use it a lot off the tee, its virtually impossible to hit a wild shot with it.

I swing at about that with an X-graphite, but there's no way in the world I could handle what you have in steel. You must have a very easy swing, I'm sure.

My transition is so silky smooooooooooth! :)

Truth be told, it's more of a violent death chop from the top. Ain't nothin' "easy" about it. I put in the X300 for the added gross weight, but took it out because I prefer the ball flight produced by the Talamonti... and despite the fact that the club is only 43" long it took only a little bit of lead tape to get the swing weight up to E0.

It's like swinging an axe. I hate light gear.

Dariusz - I have this mental image of you at your course.

There you are, in your white cap and steel spikes, lecturing the juniors on the evils of the modern era. Curious, they follow you to the first tee to see what this "real man golf" is all about, and then you pull out a SMT Deep Bore and an 8 inch tee...

Status
Not open for further replies.