Steel shafts

Status
Not open for further replies.
The golfing public has been brainwashed into thinking graphite is better for drivers. And brainwashing in hard to change.

Dariusz J.

Yep, they certainly are. When I left the UK in 1999, the only Poles in England were the old boys left over from the Home Army in WWII. Now there's a thriving immigrant population. Thing is, before they leave Poland I'm guessing all the lads must have to watch James Bond movies in an attempt to help their assimilation because all the English girls just swoon at their chivalry and impeccable manners - Quite the spectacle apparently.
Anyway, sorry for threadjacking. Back to steel shafts!!;)

LOL. It's a historical issue. Ladies were always on altars in Poland.

Yo d whats up with the anti gay remark! U think gay men cant play great back then or now?

Deleted the comment, I agree it was not a good one.

It's like swinging an axe. I hate light gear.

Same here.

Dariusz - I have this mental image of you at your course.

There you are, in your white cap and steel spikes, lecturing the juniors on the evils of the modern era. Curious, they follow you to the first tee to see what this "real man golf" is all about, and then you pull out a SMT Deep Bore and an 8 inch tee...

...and drove the ball in the trees or OB. ROFL. Good one, Birly.
The truth is that the longest drive I had with this DeepBore/Accuflex combo; OTOH, the percentage of worst drives is the highest with it. It's a driver for special occasions.

The golfing public has been brainwashed into thinking graphite is better for drivers. And brainwashing in hard to change.

True. Same with the cc of driver heads.

Cheers

I'm always skeptical of these posts because...its like the belly putters; people might attach a stigma to them but the pro's have to make putts to make a living, so they don't care if it works. If steel shafted woods, especially for something like a 5 wood, were shorter but much more accurate, wouldn't there'd be more people using them? Especially some of the long hitters who could give up some distance to the field...

There only ever is one reason to brainwash the public: it's all about the money, baby.
As a rule, absolutely. Only have to look at the music industry as the starkest example of that. But if steel were better, even by a tiny amount, wouldn't tour pros still be playing it?

I only hear this argument from people who hit first into the green. Just saying...:p

I doubt that. Most of those using steel shafts are already pretty long before switching back. Most hackers are using graphite, and almost certainly benefiting from it.

I'm using an 85g X flex graphite shaft myself. Why? Because it's more similar to steel than those pathetic bull turd 65 gram things. I'd be interested to see how a steel shaft would compare. I'll check it out sometime soon.

As a rule, absolutely. Only have to look at the music industry as the starkest example of that. But if steel were better, even by a tiny amount, wouldn't tour pros still be playing it?

Probably the ultimate "fine tuned to your swing" graphite shaft is better. But who's in a position to find that shaft from the 1000s of possibilities apart from tour pros?

Define "better".

If you only care about hitting the fairway, I'd think you'd play steel. If you only care about hitting it as far as you can, then I'd think graphite has the advantage. The optimal balance? That's a hard, and in practice, expensive question to answer.

I don't think it's a coincidence that graphite shafts really established themselves in the same period that clubheads were getting bigger and more forgiving.

I think most people could go from a steel headed, steel shafted driver to a graphite shafted, titanium head and like it better. And I think on balance, they might be right a lot of the time. But is that the shaft...?

Probably the ultimate "fine tuned to your swing" graphite shaft is better. But who's in a position to find that shaft from the 1000s of possibilities apart from tour pros?
But if the graphite shaft is easier to fine-tune in the rarified atmosphere of the tour pro world, is it a great leap of faith to backwards- extrapolate, if you like, and say it's also easier to fine-tune graphite across the board, all the way down to the less accomplished player?
And wouldn't the mere fact that there are 1000's of possibilities in graphite also give it the edge over steel?

There's a benefit for me using lighter weight graphite shafts due to epicondylitis in my elbows and carpal tunnel in my wrists. Anyone with joint issues would benefit from using graphite IMO. There probably is more dispersion in shots using graphite, but if the choice is being able to play golf or not play golf, that's an easy choice for me.

I'm always skeptical of these posts because...its like the belly putters; people might attach a stigma to them but the pro's have to make putts to make a living, so they don't care if it works. If steel shafted woods, especially for something like a 5 wood, were shorter but much more accurate, wouldn't there'd be more people using them? Especially some of the long hitters who could give up some distance to the field...

I believe Tiger's 5-wood has a steel shaft. And several pro's on the Nationwide tour that I've followed around have steel shafts in their hybrids. As with most things in golf, personal preference is just that. Some guys like the hotter/lighter feel of graphite and some guys like the heavier feel of steel.

But if the graphite shaft is easier to fine-tune in the rarified atmosphere of the tour pro world, is it a great leap of faith to backwards- extrapolate, if you like, and say it's also easier to fine-tune graphite across the board, all the way down to the less accomplished player?
And wouldn't the mere fact that there are 1000's of possibilities in graphite also give it the edge over steel?

For sure, there are more possibilities with graphite, I think in fact that is its "raison d'etre", which as you say does give it the edge if you have access to those possibilities. But hardly anyone does.

I suppose one could claim that maybe steel is just more predictable at higher swing speeds.

It could have to do with the fact that most course ask you to hit your drives in the direction of the middle of the fairway instead of into greens. When you can be accurate or dead accurate off the tee, most golfers will settle for accurate and take the additional distance...

I get where dariusz is coming from, maybe he can one day open his own facility and enforce the rules as he sees fit
metal spikes only
steel shafts only, sharp leading edge blades with no bounce
fairways slimmer than dirt roads lined and littered with hazards
slow rugged shaggy greens
carts will be limited to driving in the fairway only to keep the grass from getting too manicured

Dariusz J.

I get where dariusz is coming from, maybe he can one day open his own facility and enforce the rules as he sees fit
metal spikes only
steel shafts only, sharp leading edge blades with no bounce
fairways slimmer than dirt roads lined and littered with hazards
slow rugged shaggy greens
carts will be limited to driving in the fairway only to keep the grass from getting too manicured

ROFL. But...no, I am against forbidding anything. Metal spikes would be allowed, of course. And when it comes to steel shafts, players might decide to use these on this facility because errant shots would be punished severely. Putting would matter much less, too. A small consellation putting tourney after the event on a specially prepared fast practice green for these who are accustomed to win only because of putting might be organized. :cool:

Cheers

Hall of fame post. All 'non fulltime golfer' take note :( 'cause you don't have a chance.
Part-time players don't have a chance because the don't have the talent (if they did, pound to a penny they'd be a tour player,) not because they can't access top-draw shaft fitting. If they had the talent, they'd be up to their noses in shafts. Catch-22, I guess.

Shafts are our bats. No one would want a bat to flex around and wobble while striking a ball. It's a pity that fishing pole companies made our first graphite shafts instead of bat companies.
There is one graphite shaft called a Nunchuk that is all over the tour and Champion's Tour..mostly in fwy woods and hybrids (except for Jhonny Vegas who uses it in his driver).
106 grams, super tip and butt stiff, stability and control. Compatible with modern equipment.
check out nventix.com and watch the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.