Steel shafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
For the people responding in this thread that can't find a good match to a graphite shaft you have a lot of bad fitters in your area imo. It isn't that hard to get a good fit if you go to a good fitter with his/her own knowledge and you some demo some and walk away with something that works.

Also, with today's graphite shafts, there is no better "consistency" with steel vs. graphite. Only difference will be feel/weight/swing weight. If you want to be more consistent then go up in shaft weight however it will get stiffer and your swing speed will most likely decrease and thus your distance as well.

If you think it's tough to find a graphite shaft that works, consider the fact that heads are designed and weighted for graphite. Stick them on steel and you have to deal with swing weight issues.

I went through the issue of 3 wood and hybrid being less than optimal for me with the stock Titleist VooDoo Stiff shaft. I simply went to a Titleist Demo day, explained the problem, and we ended up with 86 gram very tip stiff shaft in the 3 wood and a different heavy tip stiff shaft in the hybrid. Granted, I bought 2 new Titleist clubs, but the fitting was free. Much more predictable.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If you think it's tough to find a graphite shaft that works, consider the fact that heads are designed and weighted for graphite. Stick them on steel and you have to deal with swing weight issues.

I went through the issue of 3 wood and hybrid being less than optimal for me with the stock Titleist VooDoo Stiff shaft. I simply went to a Titleist Demo day, explained the problem, and we ended up with 86 gram very tip stiff shaft in the 3 wood and a different heavy tip stiff shaft in the hybrid. Granted, I bought 2 new Titleist clubs, but the fitting was free. Much more predictable.

Exactly.

Jim/Steve/Frans - what would happen to driver swingweight in practice, replacing graphite with steel? Would swingweight go up or down - assuming that you're going from say, 45" in graphite to 43" in steel (TTDG - 125g?)

Jim/Steve/Frans - what would happen to driver swingweight in practice, replacing graphite with steel? Would swingweight go up or down - assuming that you're going from say, 45" in graphite to 43" in steel (TTDG - 125g?)

Depends on the balance point of the shaft but lets assume those are the same
- 45 graphite 55grm with a 200grm head will be around D0
- 43 steel 125grm with a 200grm head will be around C9

However that steel at 45 inch will be around E0 !

Status
Not open for further replies.