Swinging Arms Across the Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

footwedge

Hit the ball pretty good today. Didn't hit draws exclusivley. Acutally hit quite a few cuts. Maybe 50/50. The video is of a 200 yd 4 iron into the wind. What do you guys think?

Well I guess you have heard lot's of advice and the only thing i will say is get Kevin or Brian on the phone if you can and talk to them, I think you need to match up the correct d.s. action for that b.s. shoulder position( flat). I think that's the key. JMO. And there's nothing wrong with flat shoulders unless the d.s. action is a bad action for them.

Last edited:

Jwat

New
Man oh man, look at that path! So much closer to zero! And that face looks pretty matchup up too :) Was that pretty much a straight ball, maybe a slight cut? Keep working on everything we talked about.

If you're over cutting the ball at this point you may need a little bit more tumble, especially if you're run up improves more quickly than your tumble. So keep working on that right elbow staying higher than the hands feeling on the downswing. Our next step from there will be incorporating "the jump"! So keep working and get ready to keep getting better. More upgrades and better play wait ahead!

It was a high very slight cut. I have all of Brian's videos and have watched them several times. But I never have been able to relate the run up to my swing or how to do it?

lia41985

But I never have been able to relate the run up to my swing or how to do it
Watch how they shift their weight onto their lead leg and they pressure the ground fully with the lead leg once their hands have been carried far enough:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hl4rZ2Jtc3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H18pnwmWgsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lia41985

But wont that prevent getting my chest more forward?
I don't think so but try and incorporate it into your pattern and let me know what happens. In the Daly video it appears to me that his run up gets his chest and low point forward before he tilts his axis fully.

Last edited:

Jwat

New
I don't think so but try and incorporate it into your pattern and let me know what happens. In the Daly video it appears to me that his run up gets his chest and low point forward before he tilts his axis.

On the downswing he rotates his left side around alot more than what I do. Dont you think I need to incorporate a little more of that?

lia41985

On the downswing he rotates his left side around alot more than what I do. Dont you think I need to incorporate a little more of that?
I wouldn't focus on that now. Keep working on the list of things I gave you and we'll go from there! Best of luck.

First, I'm not a PGA teaching pro so take this FWIW; but, to me, it does look like "casting" is there. On downswing, before hands get to back thigh on downswing the clubhead is already way past horizontal and then it is dragged through impact. Do you have inconsistent ball striking when ball is on ground? Maybe vertical drop of hands and better pivot could help? Ask some of the teaching pro's about this?

lia41985

So is he talking about the run up? That is nothing I have ever really worked on.
Yup, what we discussed last night and illustrated in the Daly and Hamilton videos. Hit balls from a downhill lie to ingrain this feeling if you need to. Don't worry about rotation for the sake of rotation. Work on the things we've already talked about and let me know how it's going! Foley also talked about the "jump" which we'll get to soon enough :) After all of that we'll have you looking a little more like this:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/84_1DySza4I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Jwat

New
Okay I have some new updated swings. Although they still look the same, I feel like I am doing so many things differently and still getting the same swing. Right now I am:

1. trying to swing my arms up and to the outside to get away from wrapping around my body.
2. trying to not hip pop my left hip outside my left foot on the downswing.
3. trying to drop the hands down first in the backswing

Anyways it doesn't look like I am doing any of the 3 in these swings, although my ballflight and distance was good on these shots. I just don't ever feel like I am going to be consistant until I can learn to swing more to the left without the closed clubface and get my hands in front of the ball at impact. Any suggestions?

YouTube - IMG_1711.MOV

YouTube - IMG 1704

I've read every word in the thread. I thought Todd did a great analysis.

My opinion: very few things are going to matter if, at impact, the shoulders remain that closed and tilted. The clubhead is going to approach from the inside, and FOR CERTAIN, the club is going to unhinge very early and approach very shallow.

Geez, no wonder you like hitting drivers--high speed and shallow approach. It must be a NIGHTMARE trying to hit a little knock-down cut 8-iron....or really, just trying to produce any penetrating flight into the wind without cheating with a draw.

Jwat, if you were going to fling a medicine ball down the target line, you would turn the hips and shoulders more actively and more level, and you would tumble with arms AND SHOULDERS, and the right wrist would stay bent longer on the down-stroke. A PGA Tour golf swing is the exact same motion. Go get a medicine ball and do that.

And practice hitting little low punch pull cuts with a 7-iron. Doesn't count if it starts right.

Last edited:

Jwat

New
I've read every word in the thread. I thought Todd did a great analysis.

My opinion: very few things are going to matter if, at impact, the shoulders remain that closed and tilted. The clubhead is going to approach from the inside, and FOR CERTAIN, the club is going to unhinge very early and approach very shallow.

Geez, no wonder you like hitting drivers--high speed and shallow approach. It must be a NIGHTMARE trying to hit a little knock-down cut 8-iron....or really, just trying to produce any penetrating flight into the wind without cheating with a draw.

Jwat, if you were going to fling a medicine ball down the target line, you would turn the hips and shoulders more actively and more level, and you would tumble with arms AND SHOULDERS, and the right wrist would stay bent longer on the down-stroke. A PGA Tour golf swing is the exact same motion. Go get a medicine ball and do that.

And practice hitting little low punch pull cuts with a 7-iron. Doesn't count if it starts right.

I definitely have a problem hitting the ball low, but I am able to hit 3/4 knockdown pull cuts if I really carry on the downswing. But as far as the driver is concerned, most of the time when I add more carry the more I hit it in the heel.

What has been helping me lately is holding my early extension. What do u think?
YouTube - ‪5/15‬‏

Status
Not open for further replies.