Swinging Arms Across the Body

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I swing left right now or tumble I hit a pull draw. I definitley have a closed clubface but don't know why. My grip is good, I even get it too weak and I still have a closed clubface. I think if I can cure that then I can start swinging left more.

Can you hit a huge fade that starts left of a target and turns toward it?

When swinging left, you can't release the club face early. Think Duval or Azinger. Or maybe when swinging left, you get steeper which will essentially close the clubface more?

I'll shut up now:), you beat me, I shot 82 yesterday with 8 fairways but only 3 greens.

Last edited:

footwedge

Determining horizontal plane direction is no more "complicated than drawing a line on a pic". If you know what you're doing. Perhaps it is you who "need to know a few other things".

Let's see if I can create the lineage of Jwat's issue for you...

The effect is a rightward True Path
The cause of that is a rightward Plane Direction
The cause of that is a righward Hand Plane
The cause of that is excessive shoulder tilt on the downswing
The cause of that is excessive lateral hip movement toward the target while the head actually moves away from the target

I don't see the point of backing the history up any farther than that, but I'm sure we could discover some traumatic childhood event that Jwat suffered which is at the root of all of this. But while you're busy backing this thing up to within 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, I'd already have the dude fixed.

The first 4 things on the list of your 5 are all effects You keep talking about the out to the right path like we can't see that, listen it's obvious he's under it and out to the right get over it we know that, don't need a line on a pic to understand that i didn't. And i doubt you'd have him fixed sooo fast. What was your first recommendation for a fix? oh yeah it was this( see quote below.)

Quote:
In your case, this is caused by too much lateral movement of the hips on the downswing, which is causing excessive tilt of the spine axis. Notice how your head, at impact, is behind where it started. To help get the club on the intended plane direction in the downswing, you must rotate your hips and torso more, and "bump" the hips forward less.

What about the face and the shaft? should he rotate both the torso and the hips together, does he bump first then rotate or how does that work exactly, when he does this what should his arms and hands do just lay there and do nothing expecting the rotating hips and torso to fix it all. What does he have to do with the face in your fix, anything?

Last edited:
Hey Jwat,

I don't recall if you mentioned this anywhere in the thread, but what kind of contact do you get when you hit an iron off real grass? For instance, do you always seem to hit it an inch or so fat?

If I swing left right now or tumble I hit a pull draw. I definitley have a closed clubface but don't know why. My grip is good, I even get it too weak and I still have a closed clubface. I think if I can cure that then I can start swinging left more.

Just a quick suggestion. I have a problem regripping the club at the top of the backswing. When I regrip, I close the clubface significantly, making my baby fade difficult to achieve and leftward shots more likely. Could you be regripping?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Wait. Am I missing something? Jwat's essentially swinging way in to out. Which means for him to get the ball going to the target, his clubface needs to be open so the ball can start right and move to the left toward the target (I realize there are some other factors, but keeping it this simple helps). So, if he moves his path left, he will also have to close the face or else he will be hitting push fades if he keeps the club face how he did?

Probably the best example of carry that I have seen is Carl Petterson:

YouTube - Carl Peterson Swings Slow Motion DL & FO

At the transition he carries his hands with a forward shoulder turn before dropping them into the downswing. Some would call this an OTT move, but it is one way of getting the path left enough and in my opinion also gets the hands more forward into impact.

Obviously if Jwat were to incorporate this into his swing, he would have to fix the club face to match.

Carl hits a pretty significant draw so his path is not left even tho his hand path is very left.....severe reverse tumble.

Jwat, sorry to participate in the threadjack but im pulling for you hard to get it right. Gotta fix those hands and arms and get em lower and the clubhead higher and tumbling on top of the plane.

lia41985

Are you guys serious? You don't see how a measurement of the horizontal direction of your swing plane through the Impact Zone is useful? Have you ever heard of TrackMan? The Swing Direction, in conjunction with Attack Angle and VSP creates the Clubhead Path at impact. That's a fairly important Impact Collision Condition
Todd, we all believe in Trackman. Saying that your drawn impact plane line is as good of an analytical tool as Trackman is a bit of a stretch and seems to be what you're saying here.
Lia, yes the shaft bends in a full power swing, so that the sweet spot is in-line with the axis of the butt-end of the shaft. A straight line...inclined...its called the Vertical Swing Plane Angle. The line I draw on the screen is the VSPA. But if the camera is positioned ON the VSPA AND looking parallel to the Target Line, then the line represents a 0* HSPA.
I wasn't sure how you drew the line--thanks for explaining. Why would the line represent a 0 degree horizontal swing plane line? If a player has his feet aligned left or right but the camera is "positioned on the VSPA" does the line still represent a 0 degree HSP line? Jwat's down-the-line view video has the camera positioned more towards his heel than his toes--is the camera "positioned on the VSPA"? What does it mean for camera to be "positioned on the VSPA"?
I'm not just drawing the line anywhere. I know where to place the camera. I've compared my method with actual TrackMan measurements. I know what I'm doing. Jwat's got a HSP of about 10* there, minimum. With a resultant "true" path of about 8*. Way too much. Not possible to hit a straight shot on-target with sweet spot impact.
The first two sentences are a reprieve of what I've just asked you. Your line is a line and it's got enough utility to help us see that Jwat's swing direction relative to that line is inside out. However, I wouldn't say that somehow that's an as-good as Trackman would find type finding which is what you seem to be implying.
Jwat exibits more Spine Axis Tilt in that video than great ball-strikers typically do with an iron.
He doesn't have an issue with how much spine axis tilt he has! His chest isn't forward enough!!! There are great ball-strikers that have even more spine axis tilt but they have the chest forward enough.
* The vast majority of great ball-strikers do not have their head, at impact, behind where it began, using an iron. Increased Axis Tilt has a strong tendency to shift the Impact Plane rightward. Torso rotation on a Spine Axis which is less tilted will have a strong tendency to move the Impact Plane leftward. In which case, you could say that a shoulder turn which is closer to level will "tumble" the shaft over onto the intended Plane Direction nicely. There's more than one way to "tumble".
I'm down with all three of these! Especially the point about shoulder tumble. This is something I asked Brian about back in December:

http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfing-discussions/14519-jamie-lovemark-swing-3.html#post181200

But the question with Jwat is, if he's reverse tumbling now, would a shoulder tumble fix that? You seem to think heck yes while I'm not so sure. But moving on...
Since the arms can swing independently from their ball-and-socket joints, the vertical angle of the shoulder turn plane does not force the arms and hands to swing on any particular plane direction. But it sure can have an influence. Jwat may feel free to simply swing the hands on a more leftward plane direction on the downswing, which will shift the sweet spot plane leftward, assuming that the sweetspot plane maintains the same relationship to the hand plane as present.
So that's why you feel so strongly about the shoulder tumble issue as it relates to Jwat's swing and why I'm not so sure. See that word "assuming"?
As always, these are not my "opinions".
If you're making an assumption about the future I think most people would call that an opinion.
For an on-line ball flight, assuming sweet spot impact, you must produce the required True Path and Clubface during impact. I have only focused on the Swing Direction/True Path component. The alignment of the clubface at impact to both the Target Line and the True Path, required for an on-line ball flight, varies with True Path. And it sure ain't the same for an 8* as it is for a 0* Path.
Absolutely, but how does that mean your fix is definitely going to be the right one? Particularly when it's built on an assumption?
Dude, stay on topic. You said that my arms were more "out". I simply showed you 2 great players whose arms are also "out". "Out" simply means "less vertical". The rest of your post becomes hyper-maniacal. You rattle off 8 questions in a row. Stay focused, my man. Just take the point and move on. I assure that Fred Couples and Paul Azinger both could and still can hit the ball pretty solid and straight.
If you could go back and consider what I wrote in that post I'd appreciate it. Keep in mind their arms look more out because of where their stances are aligned (left) in relation to the camera's position.
Cool. This is why a player who comes "over the top" will likely benefit from attempting to turn the shoulders more vertically in the downswing. Most good players, however, suffer from an overly in-to-out plane direction. The term "cover" the ball circulated here recently. It is an attempt to turn the shoulders less vertically, closer to horizontal.
Yup, with you on this but not sure if this is the right fix for this golfer.
I beleive that the science has shown that axis tilt or "reverse tumble", if you will, indeed has an opening torque effect on the clubface.
Axis tilt has very little to do with reverse tumble. Reverse tumble is something the club does on the downswing--it opens and moves under. If you have the golfer inputing the proper torque into the club there's no reason why axis tilt would cause reverse tumble.
In any event, it doesn't change what the required Clubface alignment during impact must be for a given True Path...But remember, as Brian himself has said, eevrybody swings on a plane through the Impact Zone. 14 different clubs, 14 different vertical plane angles. But it is the horizontal direction of that plane which must create the intended True Path. The thoughts/feels/tips one employs to achieve the intended Plane Direction is virtually limitless.
This is good. But see that last word, "limitless." We're dealing with a complex system, a golf swing, where there are so many different inputs almost anything is possible. As such, anything said by the instructor to the student will have an effect and as such the instructor needs to be careful and humble about his recommendations and that includes you. John Jacobs said:
I'VE FOUND TRUTH in just about every book or article I've ever read on the golf swing. But there's usually one thing or another in any particular piece of writing that, when applied by the wrong person, could cause a real setback.
WE DON'T ALL react to words in the same way, and the differences in our imaginations, particularly about a thing so subjective as golf, make us more likely to grasp an idea in different ways. Put it one way, and maybe 40 in 100 will get it. Put it another way, and another 20 will get it, and so on.
John Jacobs: A Life Full Of Lessons: Golf Digest

Todd, you also wrote this:
A difficulty in your case is that you have now learned to close the clubface to your plane/arc/True Path to give the ball a chance to curve back to the target. If you simply zero-out your path with the same Clubface Differential, you're going to hit a pull hook.
And Jwat reported the following:
This was absolutely spot on but entirely predictable. So what do you recommend going forward?
Long story short.....rotate hands leftward, rotate clubface rightward, rotate stance and "assumed" swing direction leftward. In practice, create ball flights which start left and curve right. Good medicine.
You realize you're recommending him to play the exact opposite way to the way he has been playing? He's used to path right, face a little open to that path and now you want him to play with path left, face a little closed to that path. The question is why was he playing that way and that will answer what the root cause of his problems are and what needs to be fixed. So here's what you're thinking:
Let's see if I can create the lineage of Jwat's issue for you...

The effect is a rightward True Path
The cause of that is a rightward Plane Direction
The cause of that is a righward Hand Plane
The cause of that is excessive shoulder tilt on the downswing
The cause of that is excessive lateral hip movement toward the target while the head actually moves away from the target
Dude, what about the freaking face? You came on this forum to defend the Jacobs ball flight laws, you've referenced Search for the Perfect Swing, and you always seem to be lecturing about Trackman--all of these espouse the primacy of the face to the flight of the ball. So why the obsession with path? What tells you that fixing the path will fix the face? Really I just want to echo what footwedge said here:
What about the face and the shaft? should he rotate both the torso and the hips together, does he bump first then rotate or how does that work exactly, when he does this what should his arms and hands do just lay there and do nothing expecting the rotating hips and torso to fix it all. What does he have to do with the face in your fix, anything?
If the club is reverse tumbling and losing the support of the shoulders, arms, and hands and falling under how is turning the shoulders more level going to fix all of that? Is the shoulder going to provide more support for the club now? And what about his chest not being forward enough? And what about the way he's learned to "release" the club? You make this seem really simple with your lines drawn to a degree of exactness that makes your analysis, according to you, on par with Trackman. And all I'm saying to you is, "I'm not so sure." There are a ton of assumptions and guesses built into your analysis that make it far from undisputed fact or science. Teaching is still an art even though there's science in terms of our biomechanics understanding and our understanding of ball flight (Trackman). Don't be thumping your chest thinking you have all the answers when we're dealing with a complex system, a golf swing, where uncertainty rules the day. If you want to learn more about that check out this Wikipedia article (Complex system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) or the writings of Arthur De Vany.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

Last edited:

lia41985

Jwat,
I think there's a few things you could try to learn from these videos:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lmROlYOhwKI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
As far as this face-on, I want you to incorporate this:
1.) Holmes's alignment. See how Holmes seems to align his shoulder sockets over his hip sockets?
2.) I also want you to incorporate how Holmes pulls himself off his left-side in the backswing and stays light on his left foot until late in the downswing.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z7BnM0BCKa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
As far as this down-the-line, I want you to incorporate the high right elbow and so-called "across the line" look that Holmes has. To get to that position, you're really going to have to allow yourself to be pulled off that left foot. The higher right elbow and what I suspect will be a resultant steeper shoulder plane should help you tumble the club better.

Carl hits a pretty significant draw so his path is not left even tho his hand path is very left.....severe reverse tumble.

Jwat, sorry to participate in the threadjack but im pulling for you hard to get it right. Gotta fix those hands and arms and get em lower and the clubhead higher and tumbling on top of the plane.

Thanks Kevin for correcting that. I too would like Jwat to get it right and am here to learn.

Jwat

New
Hey Jwat,

I don't recall if you mentioned this anywhere in the thread, but what kind of contact do you get when you hit an iron off real grass? For instance, do you always seem to hit it an inch or so fat?

No I hardly ever hit it fat. I always pick at the ball, but if I miss it is thin normally.

Jwat

New

Kevin, I saw this when I was playing yesterday. I know I can and was able to get the hands lower. When I hit those 325yd+ drives it is when I get the hands as low as possible at the beginning of the downswing. But keeping the clubhead higher than my hands I think is the main problem and something I have never been able to accomplish.

Jwat

New
Jwat,
I think there's a few things you could try to learn from these videos:
As far as this face-on, I want you to incorporate this:
1.) Holmes's alignment. See how Holmes seems to align his shoulder sockets over his hip sockets?
2.) I also want you to incorporate how Holmes pulls himself off his left-side in the backswing and stays light on his left foot until late in the downswing.
As far as this down-the-line, I want you to incorporate the high right elbow and so-called "across the line" look that Holmes has. To get to that position, you're really going to have to allow yourself to be pulled off that left foot. The higher right elbow and what I suspect will be a resultant steeper shoulder plane should help you tumble the club better.

I am going to work on this. I have always thought my swing should and somewhat mimics JB. I think he would be the pro I would choose to model.

Jwat

New
Okay so thank you everyone for the responses, it really means alot to me. No need to apologize for any thread jacking. Unfortunatley, my swing is this complicated. I have seen Brian multiple times and have consulted with great instructors on here. I work hard on my game and try and practice the correct things.

My body just has ingrained the swing you see. Even when making drastic changes and then getting video, it still looks the same. Right now I am a 5 hcp and won't improve until I hit the ball more consistantly. I play at a very difficult resort course so if I were playing country clubs or muni's I would be closer to playing scratch with a very flawed swing.

So here is what I think I should work on based so far off of what I have read and been working on. Let me know if you guys think I am on the right track.

1. I need to get my right elbow a little higher on the backswing - This will help with getting the LAFW over-rotated and get me carrying the club a little more on the downswing. Also will promote a little higher right shoulder which will help me keep my body higher and hands lower.

2. I need to get my hands as low as I can in the downswing and somehow get the clubhead above those hands - This will get my hand path going less to the right. It will also help me get my hands more in front of my body.

3. I need to get my entire left side opening up more on downswing by rotating around - this will help with too much axis tilt, help keep my body higher, and hopefully get my chest more over the ball.

I know there are some other smaller things, but as far as main swing thoughts and practice points are concerned does this seem right?

lia41985

I wouldn't worry about number three. If you want to get your chest more over the ball get a better "run up" by staying light on the left foot until late into the downswing. Try aligning your shoulders over your hips better, get off that left foot, get that right elbow up, get that club high and across, feel your hands fall as you have a prolonged run onto your left foot and then POW! I like the way you free wheel it through. Keep that. 325+ yard drives! Nice... :)

Last edited:

Jwat

New
Try aligning your shoulders over your hips better

Hey Lia, thanks for all the responses and the time you have taken to look at my swing. Would you mind elaborating on this. I watched JB's videos and a couple others of his and am trying to understand what this means.

Am I bent over too much?

lia41985

Would you mind elaborating on this. I watched JB's videos and a couple others of his and am trying to understand what this means.
Check this out:
Setup before
setupbefore.png

Setup after
setupafter.png
Here's what Damon wrote about what him and Peter worked on:
Peter is a good athlete with a good golf swing...

His golf swing thus is shortish with a restricted hip turn, especially in his backswing. He does not however have issues with hitting plenty of very solid and powerful shots.

He occasionally backs under in his downswing and drags the hosel a bit far. Root cause? Hips at set up being too far to the right(from his perspective). Little hip movement going back combined with a good lateral move going forward means an already flat hand path and a shortish bswing causes the shaft to lay off and the club face to open, in a location that has little latitude.

So I got the set up to fit the swing. A couple of other things for him to manage his tendencies and there is no reason for him not to replicate or better his early season success.
Here's you:
jwat.jpg

Here's JB:
82220023.jpg

I hope that clears it up for you. If not, please let me know.

Jwat

New
Check this out:

Here's what Damon wrote about what him and Peter worked on:

I hope that clears it up for you. If not, please let me know.

So your saying that since my left hip is a little higher so should my left shoulder and likewise with the right side. Almost setting up what feels like behind the ball a little more but in all acutality just setting my shoulders square to my hips as far as tilt is concerned?

lia41985

Do you guys think I should be trying to mimic Steve Marino's takeaway and backswing?
There's certainly something to learn about the way he limits his left arm flying wedge rotation, the high right elbow, and the across-the-line-ness.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zQyD7t42AuE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

lia41985

So your saying that since my left hip is a little higher so should my left shoulder and likewise with the right side. Almost setting up what feels like behind the ball a little more but in all acutality just setting my shoulders square to my hips as far as tilt is concerned?
Check out your left shoulder position. Where is your left hip in relation to that? Not under. I want you to align your left hip under your left shoulder. Damon said that Peter's hips were "too far to the right". I think that's what your issue is. And I think not having your left hip located under your left shoulder limits your "run up". I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need any more clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.