Swinging Arms Across the Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwat

New
Does anyone no a cure or have any suggestions for this? I have always been trapped in the backswing but it seems like now it is even worse. Would love to hear anyone's comments who have fought this. I own NHA and cannot do the hands up the wall, it makes me raise up even more and not get any turn in the backswing. I have always fought a reverse c or pivot. Never been able to turn behind the ball.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Sorry for the crappy iphone video. Here are the links for a little better quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlchyEMqPsY, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFFrSity3H8

footwedge

A good start would be to try and not over-rotate your left arm if that's possible. It all starts with you over rotating the lafw and the rest just follows after, maybe a lagging club takeaway. Try and keep the clubhead more in front of you in the b.s. instead of it going in behind you and over rotated. It's not an easy thing to change as you well know.

Many great ball-strikers swing the left arm about 45* across the chest and it stays well behind the start-up position all the way to impact. You CAN'T leave your arms too far "behind".

Last edited:
PGA Tour averages for shoulder rotation at impact is upwards of 40* open. Assumimg that the shoulders were sqaure at address, that means theleft arm is 40* across the chest at impact. Average golfers don't come close to that kind body rotation into impact.

Nobody "zeros out" like Jim Furyk

NewPicture25.jpg

Jwat, your arms aren't too far "behind" you at impact. Rather, you're swinging your arms/hands on a rightward plane through impact. Your shoulders aren't even sqaure at impact. And your plane direction is seriously in-to-out. You're hitting some serious pushes and hooks, my friend.

NewPicture26.jpg

In your case, this is caused by too much lateral movement of the hips on the downswing, which is causing excessive tilt of the spine axis. Notice how your head, at impact, is behind where it started. To help get the club on the intended plane direction in the downswing, you must rotate your hips and torso more, and "bump" the hips forward less.

NewPicture27.jpg

Hopefully that will help you delay the unhinging of the shaft as well, as you do have the classic "flip".

Jwat

New
Thank you for spending the time to do that for me. So you think if I just really work on rotating the left side around instead of the shift than that will greatly improve my inside swing path?

My misses are hooks. I have been working on my early extension and that has helped with the pulls, but it seems like I can't ever get my arms/hands to catch up to my body.

Last lesson with Brian we were working really hard to make a big lateral shift and no around rotation.

Jwat

New
Hard to tell , but looks like too 'handsy' and over rotation of left arm\wrist (as mentioned) at the start of backswing.
More torso at the start, and try to feel \ stretch your left arm out in front of you as you take it up and back maybe with some twistaway.

Everytime I either not rotate the LAFW or I push the left arm out, I cannot ever seem to make a full turn on the backswing.

Jwat

New
A good start would be to try and not over-rotate your left arm if that's possible. It all starts with you over rotating the lafw and the rest just follows after, maybe a lagging club takeaway. Try and keep the clubhead more in front of you in the b.s. instead of it going in behind you and over rotated. It's not an easy thing to change as you well know.

I actually use the lct last year with moderate success. It definitley helped me keep arms more in front of chest be created alot of other problems. I may have to do my practice swings with the lag.

Thank you for spending the time to do that for me. So you think if I just really work on rotating the left side around instead of the shift than that will greatly improve my inside swing path?

My misses are hooks. I have been working on my early extension and that has helped with the pulls, but it seems like I can't ever get my arms/hands to catch up to my body.

Last lesson with Brian we were working really hard to make a big lateral shift and no around rotation.

1) Buy a good pair of golf shoes;)
2) Keep working on what Brian said to.
3) Rewatch NHA 2.0 (seems to be the pattern you need)
4) TUMBLE!

footwedge

I actually use the lct last year with moderate success. It definitley helped me keep arms more in front of chest be created alot of other problems. I may have to do my practice swings with the lag.

Yeah, i can see how it might cause some other problems, some tumble of the shaft could definetly help keep the club from dropping under plane and out to the right path. Calling Brian we need an intervention.

Jwat

New
Yeah, i can see how it might cause some other problems, some tumble of the shaft could definetly help keep the club from dropping under plane and out to the right path. Calling Brian we need an intervention.

Yea tommorrow I plan on working on clearing the hips and the left side. Worked great in my baseball swing, not so much with my golf swing though.

footwedge

Yea tommorrow I plan on working on clearing the hips and the left side. Worked great in my baseball swing, not so much with my golf swing though.

When you do that don't forget to bring the club around with some tumble. If you don't you could leave it back and under and hit some push slices.

Happy to do it, Jwat. I didn't realize that you're working with Brian. You're in the best of care. Its possible that you have over-done his recommendation for a strong hip bump. More turn and less bump generally moves the Plane Direction more leftward. Best of Luck.

Last edited:
I fight this all the time and here is how I cured it (showed it to Bmanz in my last lesson and he ok'd it, at least for me) holed your right arm in front of you as if you were going to shake someones hand,but keep your upper arm in front of, but against your rib cage. Now keeping your right arm bent at the elbow in almost a right angle lift your arm up until your upper arm is horizontal with the ground but maintains the right angle and turn back.Do this a few times slowly to get the feel of the arm lifting off of your rib cage instead of rolling back.Now put your hands on a club and slowly pivot back until you feel the need for the club to go up wards and recreate the feeling of your upper arm lifting straight off of your ribcage. you will notice that your hands seem to be more "in front" of you or more to the point your sternum. it is very easy to just pivot through and uncock your hand down as you swing left and start to hit the little ball before the big ball.
Hope this helps!
and put on some shoes!
Trickyric

lia41985

Many great ball-strikers swing the left arm about 45* across the chest and it stays well behind the start-up position all the way to impact. You CAN'T leave your arms too far "behind".
This demonstrates a misunderstanding of what tumble is and why it's important.
PGA Tour averages for shoulder rotation at impact is upwards of 40* open. Assumimg that the shoulders were sqaure at address, that means theleft arm is 40* across the chest at impact. Average golfers don't come close to that kind body rotation into impact.

Nobody "zeros out" like Jim Furyk

NewPicture25.jpg

Jwat, your arms aren't too far "behind" you at impact. Rather, you're swinging your arms/hands on a rightward plane through impact. Your shoulders aren't even sqaure at impact. And your plane direction is seriously in-to-out. You're hitting some serious pushes and hooks, my friend.

NewPicture26.jpg

In your case, this is caused by too much lateral movement of the hips on the downswing, which is causing excessive tilt of the spine axis. Notice how your head, at impact, is behind where it started. To help get the club on the intended plane direction in the downswing, you must rotate your hips and torso more, and "bump" the hips forward less.

NewPicture27.jpg

Hopefully that will help you delay the unhinging of the shaft as well, as you do have the classic "flip".
This is a misdiagnosis resulting from a misunderstanding of tumble. Jim Furyk's got one of the best tumbles in pro golf. Higher priority should be given to tumble over "body rotation", whatever it is you mean by that. Plenty of amateurs "over use" the body by "over rotating"/"spinning out". If he takes that under tumbled club and swings left because of you're prescription to "rotate more" he's gonna slice. You think you're fixing his path which will fix his face but unless he tumbles better his "numbers" are going to get worse in terms of managing face/path divergence.

That is unless our resident jedi master can circumvent these fundamentals via the force...
I feel this is a hands and arms issue.
Boy Kevin, I think you can attest that some never learn despite you're (and the rest of the Academy Instructors') conveyance of some great information...
Some tumble of the shaft could definetly help keep the club from dropping under plane and out to the right path. Calling Brian we need an intervention.
I think we're in agreement again :)

Last edited:
Lia, I'd take the time to point out how wrong you are, but it would be a waste of my time. You're so clueless that I don't think that there is any hope for you. If this were my site, I'd ban you soley for ignorance. Now run along, I think there's a Harry Potter movie on cable.

lia41985

Lia, I'd take the time to point out how wrong you are, but it would be a waste of my time. You're so clueless that I don't think that there is any hope for you. If this were my site, I'd ban you soley for ignorance. Now run along, I think there's a Harry Potter movie on cable.
Which one? I just watched my Cleveland Cavaliers get their first win against the Heat since LeBron left.

Why don't you for once take the time to point out how and why I'm wrong? Seriously, be a critically-thinking, self-respecting, brave man and for once just do it.

You don't know what tumble is, how important it is, or how to teach it because YOU CAN'T DO IT:
dugan1.jpg

dugan2.jpg

As John Jacobs said:
BEING A GOOD DEMONSTRATOR is important. It helps you be authoritative. Why should people believe you if you can't do it? I was a good demonstrator.
http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2011-03/jacobs-diaz-lessons#ixzz1I2qH0CP3

Last edited:

footwedge

Well that's just rude, but you could ban him from your site, ( in absentia) assuming you have one or are planning to get one anyways i digress, I have to agree with Kevin and even though it pains me Lia41985 but hopefully you won't ban me also...lol.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Whoa Nellie......

Everyone's partially correct here.

You can keep your arm on your chest through the ball—David Toms.

You can swing the left arm away from across through the ball—Payne Stewart.

"Tumble" is a funny word, and not exactly clearly defined around here.

JWAT needs to learn to swing his arms more and get his chest more forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.