The other side of the story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Michael!

Would you care to expound on these ideas on this site?

Damon Lucas

There will always be personal debates concerning core information about the golf swing. This time I am not trying to debate, but share information that modern science has uncovered about supporting the way one best learns.

It seems to me that people who are making progress are personalizing information received from coaches and are often moving beyond the level of performance that any coach has had.

The goal should be to give people tools, not information. This is possible if they are training in an environment which supports options, not answers. Instead of having a student’s swing broken down and critiqued by a perceived expert (Teaching-Fixing Environment), they should be supported and encouraged to experiment in a judgment free setting (Learning-Developing Environment).

The golf swing can really be reduced into two things -what influences distance and what influences direction. Any description of the golf swing is a history lesson of something that has already happened, and should not be used as a model for future improvement. Maybe the biggest fallacy in golf is the desire to have a “consistent golf swing” because in golf, the environment is always changing – you will never have the same shot twice.

Unfortunately, information about the golf swing can be intellectually interesting, but also educationally vacant. Formalized education has forgotten how we are designed to learn. We are not designed to fix our golf swings by comparing it some model about how the body should move. Rather, coaching should be providing tools to help the student invent their own swing.

Anybody who is interested in joining me at the Teaching, Learning, Playing Workshop held at Pine Needles is invited to do so. There are limited openings for this workshop held on March 27-30. You can find out more information at the link below.

http://nlglive.com/?page_id=197

Michael Hebron

"Agreed on music training and other fields, but there are teachers in golf that have thought about learning more than others such as the vision54 gals (pia nilsson and lynn marriot) - granted some of their stuff is not useful, and who knows what they have studied, but they do teach (most likely based on teaching experience) how to bring whatever mechanical stuff you are working on to the golf course through specific ways of practicing. That said, this information is out there and no one should expect a golf coach to spoon feed everything to them.

Now, if i were an instructor i would be looking at this side of the equation as well as the mechanical side and i would probably also be studying how people learn best if i wanted to maximize my worth to my students. Haven't read the Talent Code, but have read John Holt ("learning all the time" etc - education "reform"/homeschooling unschooling stuff) and there are some tidbits throughout that i would think would prove useful to a teacher in any field.

At the end of the day i would say that having correct information and full understanding is incredibly important, but you also need to be able to communicate that to your students and to help them best implement it if you really want to supercharge the results of the information you have. Some teachers are able to do this without any outside study - trial and error works great, but is sped along for these teachers that have extraordinarily high interpersonal intelligence.

Also, not everyone learns best the same way (auditory, visual, tactile, and kinesthetic)... you can rely on your students to know how they best learn or if you can identify with them how they learn you can speed the learning process. Again, i think most great teachers are great students themselves of human beings and just do a lot of this stuff intuitively."

If this post had paragraphs, I might have learned something, but I couldn't read 300 and some words with paragraphs, my brain froze up.

Thanks for the editing tips. You should write some code that edits run-on blackberry written responses like mine into properly structured paragraphs.

Also, my conjecture is that you meant to write:
"If this post had paragraphs, I might have learned something, but I couldn't read 300 and some words without paragraphs. My brain froze up." :p

Well, I have to give you some credit. You typed all that on your Blackberry. Sounds tedious. Your response was the more typical, "How dare you criticize me" type. I wasn't concerned with your punctuation, or sentence structure. My point was simply that it's
very difficult to read posts like yours.

A more mature response might have been something like this. "Sorry about that, but I made the entry from my Blackberry."

Here's a link that might work for you. Starting a new paragraph on my 8900 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

PS: I know nothing about Blackberries.

S

SteveT

100 is quite a good score, especially if you can't play. Its only 28 over par. I once shot 92 in a professional competition. I played quite well and just had a lot of bad luck;) Jarmo Sandelin struggled sometimes to break 95 on the challenge tour in his early days.

I would say there's a lot out there who would struggle to break 150.

Accomplished golfers like you and I could easily break 150 carrying only a wedge and putter.

e.g. On a 6500 yard (6000 metre) course that would only take 65 wedge shots, plus say 34 putts, et voila .. 99 !!!

Jeez, if I only carried a wedge and carefully putted with it, I dare say I could break 100 too.:D

When playing solo evening golf, it seemed like the fewer clubs I carried the lower my score .. go figure ..!!!

Well, I have to give you some credit. You typed all that on your Blackberry. Sounds tedious. Your response was the more typical, "How dare you criticize me" type. I wasn't concerned with your punctuation, or sentence structure. My point was simply that it's
very difficult to read posts like yours.

A more mature response might have been something like this. "Sorry about that, but I made the entry from my Blackberry."

Here's a link that might work for you. Starting a new paragraph on my 8900 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

PS: I know nothing about Blackberries.[/QUOTE

My response was a light hearted response to a guy who took the time to copy, paste, edit, and count the words in my post all as a way to communicate that it is easier to read a post in paragraph form. I think characterizing it as a typical "how dare you criticize me" response is neither fair, nor is painting yourself as mature and my response as immature, accurate.

If you had said without all the sarcasm and showboating that it would have been easier to read if i had separated it into paragraphs, I would have surely replied with an apology.

Apologies for getting off topic folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.