The Out Toss

Status
Not open for further replies.
mgranato - I may be way off here, but I think I've seen it mentioned that a more vertical arm goes with a flatter eventual sweet spot path (Sergio) and a shallower left arm goes with the steeper eventual sweetspot path (Watson). Just a guess.

Thanks, TD. That's what I was looking for.:) ESP was the term I hadn't heard in a while.

Kevin- I feel like the out toss is much more necessary for the woods than other clubs. Do you feel the same? I'm not sure why- maybe because to compensate for the greater amount of tug inherently present when trying to generate more clubbed speed.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin- I feel like the out toss is much more necessary for the woods than other clubs. Do you feel the same? I'm not sure why- maybe because to compensate for the greater amount of tug inherently present when trying to generate more clubbed speed.

Absolutely. I also feel that FATS has to occur sooner to get the feel that the club is passing a square left wrist earlier in order to line up the longer clubs. That way, I don't have to force the club around my left arm late.

Ok I'm pretty sure I'm getting the sequencing down better. Get the hands going--call it an out toss, but for me its really just getting them moving away from the target and target line(thanks Lindsey and Kevin it finally sunk in) then I can pretty much pivot has hard as I want. Works good with pitches too. I still have some tuning to do, but much better direction control with the irons.

Absolutely. I also feel that FATS has to occur sooner to get the feel that the club is passing a square left wrist earlier in order to line up the longer clubs. That way, I don't have to force the club around my left arm late.

Now to work on this^^^. Kevin, does the pivot happen a little sooner with the woods too?

Can one out toss on a pitch when the hands only get to the 3 o'clock position?

I've found the toss to work best with a 3 wood off the deck. When I try it with shorter clubs, disaster.

Ok I'm pretty sure I'm getting the sequencing down better. Get the hands going--call it an out toss, but for me its really just getting them moving away from the target and target line(thanks Lindsey and Kevin it finally sunk in) then I can pretty much pivot has hard as I want. Works good with pitches too. I still have some tuning to do, but much better direction control with the irons.

Now to work on this^^^. Kevin, does the pivot happen a little sooner with the woods too?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

I've found the toss to work best with a 3 wood off the deck. When I try it with shorter clubs, disaster.

It's better than tugging. Also, depends on if your interpretation is correct. But, yes, you can on a pitch.

Sooner? I would say it gets involved later with the longer clubs. Why do feel it's sooner?

I was just going off of you mentioning FATS sooner. I guess you mean the hands and arms applying the FATS sooner. Thinking about the rest of what you said about lining it up makes sense that the pivot would need to happen later to allow for the length of the club.

I didn't really mean I was out tossing like most believe it to be on pitches. You see, I have been thinking I've been doing all the things talked about here when in reality, I have not and have continued to tug, drag and roll. So in the effort to fix my sequencing and stop the tug--since I finally understood what was causing that last week--so I could really understand a better hand path, the tumble and the better release, not a roll, I began with pitches.

With these pitches I would take it back to about 9 o'clock, freeze the body, get the hands and club head going in a good path to the ball, then pivot. I then took the back swing to about 10 o'clock, freeze the body, get the hands and club going in a good path until about the 7 or 8 o'clock position, then pivot. I did this in increments up to the full swing to help rid the tug. At least I hope this is a good way to go about it. I actually had really good control of the pitches doing this too.

Oh, and I'm working on getting to the 'spiderman' left palm on the wall wrist position after impact.

My personal out toss is really to just get the hands and club moving before pivoting. Maybe I shouldn't call it an out toss.

Last edited:
Any specifics? Rules of thumb?

Not a rule of thumb but a scenario that has been talked about here before by many.

Ever drive a truck with a long trailer attached?

Imagine your hands as the hitch and you are turning a corner, how much longer does it take a really long trailer to line up with the truck to head down the road in a straight line vs. a shorter trailer. Driver is the long trailer and wedge is the short trailer.

Gotcha. So, we should see steeper acceleration profiles for shorter clubs and shallower acceleration profiles for the driver, correct?

66er

New
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but today finally got on a golf course for the first time in 3 months. I mainly just walked the course with my brother and dad but played a few holes, coming back from a broken right leg (and other things) so I wasnt swinging 100% speed (abit of physio to go)

My main focus was the out toss.....and my god swinging 50% on one leg with a little pivot I was hitting my driver just as far as I would if I were fully fit (Im not short). I was stunned, it was just effortless power, a few easy 4 irons and ease of clubhead speed was crazy. I cant wait to be physically fit playing like this. Thanks Brian, I must have been a serious handle dragger.

Status
Not open for further replies.