Tiger Woods future

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how many people listen to Colin Cowherd. I think he likes to speak in hyperboles all the time but I thought he made an excellent point regarding Tiger. Tiger will not dominate again because there is no financial motivation to. He made $70mil + plus last year in endorsements. When you're making that much money without having to win tournaments, what's gonna drive you to get up at 6am and practice all day?

Cowherd's argument is about as airtight as Swiss cheese. Tiger was a multi-millionaire before he struck his 1st professional shot, so by that rationale, what was his motivation to win anything? What motivates someone who has $1 million is the opportunity to get $2 million. What motivates someone who has $70 million is the opportunity to get $80 million. What motivates someone who's made 2 birdies is the opportunity to make 4 birdies. Thank God there is a segment of the population who is still motivated to achieve beyond what others think is "enough".

Last edited:
I don't necessarily agree with his point but I think his argument is that Tiger, specifically, would not have the motivation to be dominant again because he makes $70 mil and change without winning any tournaments. Back when Tiger was young, he didn't have the huge endorsement deals that he has now. Colin actually points out that he thinks that a lot of athletes can come back from injuries but that Tiger is the only athlete who can make $70 mil without winning anything.

Also, I think the point Colin makes is not that Tiger will never win again. It's that he won't dominate like his previous level due to the numerous injuries, age, AND the fact that he has $70 mil a year just for getting out of bed.

Cowherd's argument is about as airtight as Swiss cheese. Tiger was a multi-millionaire before he struck his 1st professional shot, so by that rationale, what was his motivation to win anything? What motivates someone who has $1 million is the opportunity to get $2 million. What motivates someone who has $70 million is the opportunity to get $80 million. What motivates someone who's made 2 birdies is the opportunity to make 4 birdies. Thank God there is a segment of the population who is still motivated to achieve beyond what others think is "enough".

Last edited:
I don't necessarily agree with his point but I think his argument is that Tiger, specifically, would not have the motivation to be dominant again because he makes $70 mil and change without winning any tournaments. Back when Tiger was young, he didn't have the huge endorsement deals that he has now. Colin actually points out that he thinks that a lot of athletes can come back from injuries but that Tiger is the only athlete who can make $70 mil without winning anything.

Tiger Woods sponsorship deals and endorsements - Telegraph

He had some HUGE deals in 1996. Now, I know these deals weren't "all the money in one year" deals BUT he had the security of multi-year deals where he didn't have to worry.

I stand corrected. He had some huge deals back when he was young. But let's not forget that his $70 mil a year is in addition to everything he has amassed over the years. Back then he also didn't have the multiple knee surgeries and the wave of personal "problems" that he has now. I think Tiger will win again but I'd be surprised if he regains his dominant form again.

Tiger Woods sponsorship deals and endorsements - Telegraph

He had some HUGE deals in 1996. Now, I know these deals weren't "all the money in one year" deals BUT he had the security of multi-year deals where he didn't have to worry.

I don't think he was ever in it for the money. It's all about winning. I think winning, to the most successful athletes in history, is kinda like that first drink of the day to an alcoholic. The first one is pretty good. But the second is better. If two is good, then four has got to be even better. You need more, and more. Lots of CEO's fit this profile also. Guys like Trump. They love the money, but it's more about the chase. Crushing others underfoot, imposing your will.

There was a recent article in I think Golf Digest called One and Done, about former world #1's in golf. David Duval said that after he won the British Open, he was flying back to the US and it was just him and his manager or someone left awake on the plane. Duval told him that he thought it would feel better winning the Open. It was all downhill from there. Some guys are just driven.

That's why Cowherd is wrong. Tiger has always (before he made his first dollar on the course) had huge endorsement deals - especially when you compare the dollar amount to the times. I would argue that his vast wealth has made it "easier" to stalk the record books from day 1. Imagine chasing your dreams with a bank account big enough to support the endeavor many times over.

I stand corrected. He had some huge deals back when he was young. But let's not forget that his $70 mil a year is in addition to everything he has amassed over the years. Back then he also didn't have the multiple knee surgeries and the wave of personal "problems" that he has now. I think Tiger will win again but I'd be surprised if he regains his dominant form again.

While I think Tiger will regain form and play well, I believe his "best" years are behind him. I don't see this as a shot at Tiger either. Can anyone imagine ANY player having a run like Tiger had from Pebble Beach in 1999 thru The U.S. Open in 2002? Seven majors out of 11 attempts? He can get back to winning a major a year or so but I feel like there are too many good players now for anyone to truly dominate.

That's why Cowherd is wrong. Tiger has always (before he made his first dollar on the course) had huge endorsement deals - especially when you compare the dollar amount to the times. I would argue that his vast wealth has made it "easier" to stalk the record books from day 1. Imagine chasing your dreams with a bank account big enough to support the endeavor many times over.

This is the real deal. If only I had his bank account........
I can guarantee one thing, I would have picked better women. Seriously I don't know why this isn't talked about much. That collection of women would have been my D list.

Last edited:
I'm just playing armchair psychologist but I think Tiger's choice of women reflect the fact that he has an addiction. He wasn't looking for someone to have any kind of emotional relationship with. I also think that his addiction is very apparent in his "reckless" behavior of sleeping with women who likely have every STD known to mankind.

This is the real deal. If only I had his bank account........
I can guarantee one thing, I would have picked better women. Seriously I don't know why this isn't talked about much. That collection of women would have been my D list.

"I'll tell you what I'd do if I had a million dollars....";)
office-space-movie-poster-1020183996.jpg

Well personally I think his choice of women is partly because of the fact that they're nobodies. And who knows, maybe the "D-listers" as faux-maestro said, are the only ones that were willing to do whatever Tiger was into. ;) But as far as the addiction comment I think that's very true. Especially considering my earlier thoughts on people being driven to win and succeed being like an addiction. Addiction can be very pervasive in a person's life. It doesn't always manifest itself in just one form. Lots of athletes, politicians, celebrities, and businessmen have been the same way with sex. Look at guys like Barkley, and John Daly, and their gambling problems. Now I'm not a doctor, but I know a thing or two about addiction. I've had front row seats to some of the worst of it when I used to work in Baltimore City, in addition to my own past struggles. I think alot of people are quick to write off "sex addiction" as an "excuse" also. There is a pretty massive lack of understanding about the nature of addiction in our society. This is just one man's opinion though.

Sorry to go all Dr. Phil on yall.

Last edited:
I'm just playing armchair psychologist but I think Tiger's choice of women reflect the fact that he has an addiction. He wasn't looking for someone to have any kind of emotional relationship with. I also think that his addiction is very apparent in his "reckless" behavior of sleeping with women who likely have every STD known to mankind.

Yeah but there are plenty of skanks that he could have gotten with for a little un-committed fun that are a hell of a lot better looking. All he needed to do was come up to an OSU football weekend and he could have gotten his funk on with some decent looking women.

I'm not sure about the actual original question, so....moving on a bit.

As far as quality of life in the future, it is alleged (despite PR) that Tiger had a BAD upbringing by a non-monogamous philandering father. So, if basically accurate, then imo, his family of origin issues will continue to raise it's head until dealt with more fully.

So my question is ...is Woods STILL going to therapy? Or was that just something to try to stave off the divorce? Is he in any ongoing recover program or treatments? Does he meet weekly in a group setting?

What do you mean by bad upbringing? I thought he had a great upbringing, he was always ever so complimentary about his parents.

dbl

New
The fact he gives compliments to his parents isn't a sure endorsement, is it?

What I've read...
Kinda quickly...

Bad as in raised Tiger to follow in his philandering footsteps. Bad as in disrespecting women. Bad as in forgetting certain courtesies like African American awareness (Jackie Robinson...), tipping etc.

The fact he gives compliments to his parents isn't a sure endorsement, is it?

What I've read...
Kinda quickly...

Bad as in raised Tiger to follow in his philandering footsteps. Bad as in disrespecting women. Bad as in forgetting certain courtesies like African American awareness (Jackie Robinson...), tipping etc.

I read a story based on an interview with Tiger's high school girlfriend regarding Earl's alleged cheating. She told a story about Tiger being upset about Earl cheating on his mom. I hate talking about a man who isn't alive to defend himself so I'm going to stop.

I read a story based on an interview with Tiger's high school girlfriend regarding Earl's alleged cheating. She told a story about Tiger being upset about Earl cheating on his mom. I hate talking about a man who isn't alive to defend himself so I'm going to stop.

Even if he were alive, I dont think it's realistic to think he'd be defending himself against extramarital allegation on an internet forum.

Even if he were alive, I dont think it's realistic to think he'd be defending himself against extramarital allegation on an internet forum.

Well yes but he wasn't alive to refute that story. That's what I meant. All kinds come out of the woodwork after someone dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.