Tiger's Affair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I think when tiger tries to hit a draw his sequence looks to me to be cleaner...I don't know why, just less hurry on the downswing. He hit a beautiful draw second shot today on the 7th hole and the club wasn't pointed so left at the top. It looked kinda Soft Drawish.:)

This is a great observation and something i will agree with; similar to what Ryan Smither said, it seems like Tiger's go to shot is a slightly laid off backswing that leads to a push cut type of ball flight.

This is ok as long as this is what he's trying to do from this position and should work fine however will have to be careful to aim correctly and not over push it before the cut happens.

HOWEVER

As vjsinger above said, on the few swings where he did look less laid off he did hit a draw and maybe tiger has learned this. Where when he wants to hit either a pull/cut or a draw his swing needs to be less laid off and a bit more upright and when he wants to hit more of a push cut he can be just as laid off and hit that shot which makese sense from the positions he is going in to.

I would have liked to have been there to see the ball flight on these pull cuts. I bet the cut was quite pronounced.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Don't you just love it...

i like how you backtracked on your shank prediction within the same sentence! who cares how much he opens the face going back, hes going to win regardless

Don't you just love it, when a contrarian is wrong. :D

Sorry Future, had to gloat.

I might have picked him to win as well, but I didn't.

I noticed two things, he looked a bit more bulked up in the chest, shoulders and arms and his posture is a little more slumped than it was last year.

An opinion on Tiger's Comeback for what it's worth. First off, Tim Clark certainly went out and won that match as opposed to Jones yesterday going out and losing from the get go. Tiger did not play as magically as we are used to seeing, but I'm sure '09 will be another great year for him. As far as his swing, the lower body certainly looks cleaner/more efficient. I agree he is somewhat laid off at the top, but it is a vertical arm swing laid off, not what you see from the one-planers. To me he looks to be stood too close to the ball, forcing his arms to swing more vertically and of course with Haney's influence he has that backswing look (straight back off the ball, then roll the forearms to the top). Interesting to see completely opposite backswing motions between he and Clark. Clark more inside, up, and across. Go Rory!

I think Tiger definitely had some rust, but his bad swings today still came from that laid off backswing to push cut follow through via Haney. Every shot that he has hit a soft draw this week the club has been much more down the line and he has had a much better result. I would say with the lower body working better the laid off swing won't be as wild because he'll clear a little better, but it still causes problems. Perfect example: yesterday he hit a high draw with is 3 iron from 247 on the green, today he lays it off and hits a push cut from 233 and comes up 15 yards short, granted there were other variables, however his backswing makes a huge difference.

That being said, with his short game I would say a win is in the very near future followed by a few more for '09.

Don't you just love it, when a contrarian is wrong. :D

Sorry Future, had to gloat.

I might have picked him to win as well, but I didn't.

since when is it contrary to pick Tiger to win ANY tournament. ill take him everytime.

not sure what you are getting at with "i might have picked him but didnt", like you were afraid of being wrong or something.

then end is near for YOU...

Unhappy Tiger is Muscle Bound and the End is Near Unless He Goes Aerobic...
??????
Tiger is very flexible. Just cuz someone is skinny doesn't mean they are flexible. "The end is near"...haha...some funny s*** on this forum

And he does LOTS of aerobic exercise.

Guitar Hero

After watching Tiger the last two days and hearing his comments after the second match, it seems like he was testing the knee with tempo and other swing changes he has been working on more than playing the matches. His comment after the second match was “I am hitting the ball well I just did not make birdies. The knee feels fine I will go back home and evaluate things”.

Tiger will go home work on it some more and will be ready for the next tournament. He looks leaner than he did in the pictures of the swing sequence “The Swing that Won the Slam” I would like to see him work back to a take away move closer to the one he was doing in “The Swing that Won the Slam”.

After watching Tiger the last two days and hearing his comments after the second match, it seems like he was testing the knee with tempo and other swing changes he has been working on more than playing the matches. His comment after the second match was “I am hitting the ball well I just did not make birdies. The knee feels fine I will go back home and evaluate things”.

Tiger will go home work on it some more and will be ready for the next tournament. He looks leaner than he did in the pictures of the swing sequence “The Swing that Won the Slam” I would like to see him work back to a take away move closer to the one he was doing in “The Swing that Won the Slam”.

Tiger has been trained since birth how to say "stock" Bulls*&$ answers to questions from the media...I don't think he means over half the things he says to the media. You are correct though John, he will go back home and figure it out.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

I wonder why he looks leaner....hmmm?

Status
Not open for further replies.