Trackman data: PGA and LPGA Averages

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Lia, im not sure, had found some individual Tman stats for tour players. We see a lot of info on the ball but less on individual players' golf club/impact stats. Path, angle, face etc. Does anyone have that previously posted or new stuff?

It is very easy to say the above verses (neverthelles I am grateful for them a lot, thanks) when you are in neutral position. Imagine hypothetically that some asshole says : "Am I the only one that finds irony in the fact that a guy from Denmark can't take a joke?" without further explanations - how would you feel ? Would you be just happy and ready to make jokes ?
It is not my fault that I was born as a Pole. I regret that my countrymen spoilt the most wealthy and powerful land in Europe and let neighbour assholes (the same neighbour assholes that the famous King John Sobieski rescued against Turkish invasion a century before !!!) take everything 2 centuries later. It is not my fault that my countrymen did a lot of dirty deeds when they succeed to escape from the communist regimen after 1945 and probably stole much more than all other emmigrants taken together. But do not make me tell you jokes as e.g. the most famous monument of history in the USA are remains of Mayflower lavatory still not emptied.

Cheers

Honestly, I don't get it D.

Nelson never faced Hogan in his prime. He would have had no chances against Hogan in 1951-53 period. It is silly to bring this argument again that Nelson won everything when he was the best and when Hogan was the best Nelson wasn't here. Geeez.

Cheers

I have not finished reading through this thread, but I have an interesting anecdote dealing with this very topic! My father was well acquainted with Arthur D'arcy Locke. Bobby Locke was adamant that Byron Nelson was superior from tee to green (even though Nelson was retired by that time!) I am not sure what Ken Venturi has said on the topic.He seems uniquely qualified to comment. It seems that only eye-witnesses should be trusted on this point, especially considering the flimsy statistical verification of Hogan's legendary ball-striking. Locke was not complimentary about Nelson's putting prowess, but he ranked Hogan (in his book published in 1954) as The Putter in his "ideal golfer" list. Interesting...don't you think? Dariusz, you may be interested to know that Locke ranked Henry Cotton as one of the very best tee to green, but seemed to relish the fact that Sir Henry was much like a gorilla wearing boxing gloves on the greens (some bad blood there I think.) Until his death (1987) the 4 time British Open winner considered Jimmy Thompson the best driver of the ball he had ever seen. Does anybody have footage of him? The best I have ever seen (including the best of the best since say...1985) is Simon Hobday, ever heard of him? Silly argument considering our inability to verify. I know that Nelson did not have to live like a monk to stripe it!

Dariusz J.

I have not finished reading through this thread, but I have an interesting anecdote dealing with this very topic! My father was well acquainted with Arthur D'arcy Locke. Bobby Locke was adamant that Byron Nelson was superior from tee to green (even though Nelson was retired by that time!) I am not sure what Ken Venturi has said on the topic.He seems uniquely qualified to comment. It seems that only eye-witnesses should be trusted on this point, especially considering the flimsy statistical verification of Hogan's legendary ball-striking. Locke was not complimentary about Nelson's putting prowess, but he ranked Hogan (in his book published in 1954) as The Putter in his "ideal golfer" list. Interesting...don't you think? Dariusz, you may be interested to know that Locke ranked Henry Cotton as one of the very best tee to green, but seemed to relish the fact that Sir Henry was much like a gorilla wearing boxing gloves on the greens (some bad blood there I think.) Until his death (1987) the 4 time British Open winner considered Jimmy Thompson the best driver of the ball he had ever seen. Does anybody have footage of him? The best I have ever seen (including the best of the best since say...1985) is Simon Hobday, ever heard of him? Silly argument considering our inability to verify. I know that Nelson did not have to live like a monk to stripe it!

Great post. Yes, I've heard both about choosing Hogan as great putter (he was claimed to be before accident) as well as rare stories about Nelson's superiority in ballstriking over Hogan. I doubt Venturi will ever judge it (and I agree he seems to be the most qualified person on our planet to do it) because he is in awe of both of them and owe a lot to both of them.
I have read, however, much more great stories from eyewitnesses about Hogan's superior ballstriking (comparing to other pretendents to the title) putting him on the highest pedestal ever and I will remain with it.

There are a few great clips on YT with Thomson's swing (which nb. was very good and very hoganesque, I'd say):

And here is the only one I found of Locke with his full swing:

Cheers

P.S. Excuse me but could you explain your words about Cotton and his "boxing gloves" ? I cannot fully grasp what do you talk about.

Dariusz J.

Thank you very much, Johnny. It seems that a whole bunch of great ballstrikers was not great putters or did not like putting art. Now Cotton included.

Cheers

Thank you very much, Johnny. It seems that a whole bunch of great ballstrikers was not great putters or did not like putting art. Now Cotton included.

Cheers

It was Jimmy Thompson, not Peter, that Locke attributed the "best driver of the ball" accolade to, but thanks for the footage. I am sure Venturi has gone on the record about Nelson/Hogan. In Cotton's defense, I do not think Locke ranked too many players as good putters! My father attended several of the exhibition matches between Snead and Locke in the 40s, and remarked that it was a very one sided affair on the greens. The man could find the bottom of the cup!

Dariusz J.

It was Jimmy Thompson, not Peter [...]

Oops, mea culpa. I must have associated Peter witn Bobby Locke without paying more attention to the name you wrote.

I have found this, however:

THOMSON WINS LOS ANGELES GOLF OPEN - Stock Footage

It seems Jimmy Thomson drives as the third one. The first one looks like he is Lloyd Mangrum, have no idea who the second guy is but he got a very powerful swing as well. Johnny Revolta ?

Two additional issues:

1. Thomson or Thompson ? Wikipedia says that both Peter's and Jimmy's second name is Thomson.

2. There was another famous golf hustler and trick artist, Titanic Thompson (Alvin Thomas). I have read somewhere that he was the longest hitter - but perhaps this title belonged to Jimmy Thomson ?

Cheers

good history...its also interesting to note that Snead also called Hogan a great putter (despite the fact that Hogan was the only man ever to 3-putt the last hole to lose the Masters!) But on the Venturi topic-I live on Marco Island, FL and for many years Venturi wintered here. There's a bar right down the street where I was fortunate enough to spend a few (too many) hours with Ken. Every time he spoke it was like EF Hutton, he was literally holding court, but of course his stories were legendary. And I got a lot of them from the horses mouth! IMO, he respected Hogan but had a special place for Nelson who literally taught him for many years. He said Bobby Locke made everything he looked at but "couldn't hit it in the ocean from the beach" ! I know this thread is way off off topic but I'm a history fan, and couldn't resist. I know a lot more good stories he told.

ej20

New
It appears that the best ballstrikers in history were all before they started keeping stats.Funny that.

I play golf with a guy who took lessons when he was a kid (he's now 68) from Harry "Lighthorse" Cooper in Westchester N.Y.. Cooper was thought to have been the best golfer of that generation to have never won a major. This guy is a scratch golfer who had a terrible slice when he was young.

Cooper asked his father if he wanted him to fix it or have him learn to play it. His father said fix it. This guy has a very fast short backswing like Allan Doyle and Dana Quigley.

Also, another guy in our Men's Association (here in Florida) was an assistant Pro to Ken Venturi in California. He also later worked for Arnold Palmer's golf design company. He has some great stories of both men.

PGA:
PGA.jpg

LPGA:
LPGA.jpg

does anyone know what's the latest PGA tour average data?
I'm guessing attack angle will be more positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.