Two Different Pivots (with pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me that what's important is the balance point you are pivoting around. If you have a stationary head, your balance point will be somewhere between your two feet. You will not be balanced on the right foot in the backswing and the left foot on the downswing. You will have upper body weight on both feet during backswing and downswing. If you pivot around the right foot on the backswing, and the left on the downswing, your upper body and head will move back on the back on the backswing and forward on the downswing. This is what I see the pros doing.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
bantamben2 said:
... On closer inspection i noticed that in your picture with more axis tilt you have that upper part of your spine sway off the ball, that looks horrible to me...if your gonna pose a top of swing position lets get it kinda looking decent.

lukebrian.jpg

kjbrian.jpg

Brian Manzella

Administrator
A little suggestion for you Bantam:

bantamben2 said:
... On closer inspection i noticed that in your picture with more axis tilt you have that upper part of your spine sway off the ball, that looks horrible to me...if your gonna pose a top of swing position lets get it kinda looking decent.

www.lenscrafters.com

lukebrian.jpg

kjbrian.jpg

im not talkin about centered head im talking about a steady head i dothink if your gonna hit a long iron you should set up with more axis tilt but then still keep you head steady. also what do you mean by lenscrafters. I think it is pretty obvious to see that your left arm is bent 45 degrees or so and your head has moved off where it was at address.

bantamben2 said:
im not talkin about centered head im talking about a steady head i dothink if your gonna hit a long iron you should set up with more axis tilt but then still keep you head steady. also what do you mean by lenscrafters. I think it is pretty obvious to see that your left arm is bent 45 degrees or so and your head has moved off where it was at address.
Shows to go ya that when a GOOD teacher defies "conventional wisdom" how trust in him wanes.

That has been Brian's thesis here: don't believe everything you hear.

The ref. to Lenscrafters I presume is to ask you to look more closely. The swing center is on the BACK - touchable with your finger - not in the head or front of the body. C-7 is the top of the spine and you can feel it between your shoulderblades. The hinge of a house door is at the EDGE and the rest of the door swings around IT. A revolving door spine where everything spins around the CENTER PLACED HINGE is a weak, "spineless" action without any force at all.

Hank Kuenhne is one of the better ball strikers in the PGA pool--one of the long drivers weighing in at something like 145#. He bends his left arm at the top. Same as you would do to chop wood. Why? Because, as Harry Vardon the gripmeister did and taught (he was beset with disease and was emaciated, but known for long driving), THE DOUBLE LEVER is more powerful than a rigid left elbow. Would you chop wood that way? Not a chance. The arm GETS straight during the swing.

Perfect Impact said:
Shows to go ya that when a GOOD teacher defies "conventional wisdom" how trust in him wanes.

That has been Brian's thesis here: don't believe everything you hear.

The ref. to Lenscrafters I presume is to ask you to look more closely. The swing center is on the BACK - touchable with your finger - not in the head or front of the body. C-7 is the top of the spine and you can feel it between your shoulderblades. The hinge of a house door is at the EDGE and the rest of the door swings around IT. A revolving door spine where everything spins around the CENTER PLACED HINGE is a weak, "spineless" action without any force at all.

Hank Kuenhne is one of the better ball strikers in the PGA pool--one of the long drivers weighing in at something like 145#. He bends his left arm at the top. Same as you would do to chop wood. Why? Because, as Harry Vardon the gripmeister did and taught (he was beset with disease and was emaciated, but known for long driving), THE DOUBLE LEVER is more powerful than a rigid left elbow. Would you chop wood that way? Not a chance. The arm GETS straight during the swing.

Professor Jorgenson comments on the bent left arm of Harry Vardon in his book "The Physics of Golf". He find th effect variable but dramatic on occasions when he played with the idea in his own swing. Did no real science on it though.

If you believe TGM, then where is the extensor action - are you sacrificing "structure" for an extra lever??

I don't use right arm extensor action to straighten the left: I use left arm tricep... But centrifugal force itself does a good deal of it; my goal is to have to do NOTHING but allow the arms to be thrown by the pivot.

flexible or not flexible i would prefer a player to have a straight left arm where brians bicep is at the top of the swing is fine if his arms where straight he would have a hogan looking arm swing. Bending the elbow that much in my opinion is just another variable that isnt needed.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
That's why I have a web site with 4,500+ members and you...

bantamben2 said:
flexible or not flexible i would prefer a player to have a straight left arm where brians bicep is at the top of the swing is fine if his arms where straight he would have a hogan looking arm swing. Bending the elbow that much in my opinion is just another variable that isnt needed.

I certainly COULD pose a swing with a straighter arm, but me and hale, eh, well....

you lose this (weak) arguement.

halebrian.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
That's why I'm the host...

bantamben2 said:
...it is pretty obvious to see that your...head has moved off where it was at address.

Really?

It moved?

Ooooooh.

Drop it guys, the list list is WAY too long.

Plenty of head still people, much less head still near the middle of feet people, more of 'em like Annika.

Please.

anni.jpg

That is "geometrically flat" btw ppl.

Otherwise known as "anatomically flat."

I still agree tho that Flat should mean what it means. (i.e. FLAT!)

If you ask me another term should be used if things other than flat-like-a-board (or a wall) are gonna be included.

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
I know why everyone likes head still!

I see and hear it everyday .....

A lot of east coasters on your forum hang out at municipal golf courses and when they hit a bad shot their friends say:

'oh you moved your head. Thats why you topped it, keep your head still!' :D :D :D

Brian Manzella said:
Really?

It moved?

Ooooooh.

Drop it guys, the list list is WAY too long.

Plenty of head still people, much less head still near the middle of feet people, more of 'em like Annika.

Please.

anni.jpg

Seeing Annika there, she has a driver and is a sweeper. Would she still be in the same position with irons? She does take a major divot with her irons. Should I treat the irons the same?

I am asking because I am having problems with fat shots, my set up is good my backswing is good (with a tendancy to come too inside on the backswing and the downswing) I think I am mainly too ball bound. I can take a perfect divot in the practice swing then hit it fat when the ball is there. I am strongly left eye dominant too, so I think the ball almost has to disappear from my vision to get a proper divot.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.