Two Different Pivots (with pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian Manzella said:
This is OBVIOUSLY an incorrect answer.

I will explain.

There are thousands and thousands of golfers who have perfect centers for the whole swing, centers that are as good as anyone ever did,but they have NEVER taken a lesson, never read an article.

They just "Do It Right."

Maybe they were just lucky.

But the question on the table is simple, Why do most golfers move forward through the impact interval, and from release point through the swivel?

(and btw, some of those golfers WERE TOLD to have their heads DEAD STILL)

Please take a shot at ANSWERING the question. Thanks.

IMO, it is because they are putting their attention on the ball's target (flag or fairway,etc.) and not the ball.

holenone

Banned
The Question

Brian Manzella said:
This is OBVIOUSLY an incorrect answer.

I will explain.

There are thousands and thousands of golfers who have perfect centers for the whole swing, centers that are as good as anyone ever did,but they have NEVER taken a lesson, never read an article.

They just "Do It Right."

Maybe they were just lucky.

Please take a shot at ANSWERING the question. Thanks.

Your question asked "Why do most golfers not have a pivot center?" It did not ask for an explanation of why a small minority of golfers -- trained or not -- do.

Let us assume golfer intends to use staight plane line pointing at target.
If golfer has bad alignment or calls the left side or arm to start the club back,
at top golfer will be over plane (also one could overaccelerate - (too much left arm or side) on the way down). From Here, golfer must use new plane line (over original plane line) , as that is what the golfter is in positon to use. With no clubface manipulation the ball will be pulled left. Golfer's computer does not want a pull to left. Golfer's computer has instructed golfer to leave clubface open (so as not to massively pull). Body will get out in front (sway) also to prevent big time pull. Steering and quitting are now in effect. Faulty address, incorrect start up, and over acceleration on the way down cause an open club face.

holenone said:
Your question asked "Why do most golfers not have a pivot center?" It did not ask for an explanation of why a small minority of golfers -- trained or not -- do.

The answer Brian is looking for is the "root cause". And the "root cause" cannot possibly be "lack of instruction".

My 2 cents

They are moving forward to avoid hitting fat shots. Root cause is lack of accumulator lag.

I would also have suggested open clubface as well.

Scott

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Clubface and faulty idea of plane are my 2 choices because the clubface will influence your plane so it kind of is 1 reason put together.

That's my guess

Jayro1

New
"Why do most golfers move forward through the impact interval, and from release point through the swivel?"

Compensate for flipping.

Garth

New
Jayro1 said:
"Why do most golfers move forward through the impact interval, and from release point through the swivel?"

Compensate for flipping.

I would say yes to that one, but I don't think "most" golfers even know that they are flipping.

I've struggled with this in the past, so I'm just going to answer based on my own experience;
They've all been brainwashed so much about weight shift and have no idea about axis tilt.

I would like to know the reason why as well, mainly though because this is something that I am struggling with.

In my personal case, I sway forward on the downswing because I used to have a reverse pivot and very little weight shift. To fix this I focused on shifting my weight to my left side. But this meant that rather than focusing on the rotational aspect of the swing I viewed it as more of a down-the-target-line motion.

As I think about it more, I feel like it's also due (or maybe it causes) from a bent left leg at impact (knee in front of the foot) and not getting my right shoulder down on plane/ left shoulder up plane.

Last edited:

holenone

Banned
Look, Look Look

Michael Finney said:
The answer Brian is looking for is the "root cause". And the "root cause" cannot possibly be "lack of instruction".

Brian is entitled to look for any answer he wants.

But neither he -- nor you -- are entitled to dictate mine...and so it stands.

If my answer does not satisfy, then my suggestion is to...

Keep looking.

Rvised answer

Revising answer as it was incomplete.

IMO, it is because they are putting their attention on the ball's target (flag or fairway,etc.) and not the ball. This causes folks to think laterally so they shift back and then forward.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I can't dictate answers but I can run a mean flag route.

Most golfers are slicers.

Slicers have open clubfaces, so they are using ANYTHING they can to "make it slice less."

One is flipping, but another is so-called reversed hips on the downswing with the inherent roundhouse shoulder turn and a forward moving center.

There were plenty of good answers including Lynn's.

Trust me, if there was even DECENT instruction giving to all golfers, nobody would lose their center on the downswing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez, I wish that i could find it so that I could reference it, but, I remember reading an article in one of the golf mags a couple of years back where some science-types did some research on tour professional swings and found that the majority of the pros do move their heads to the right between 1-2 inches on the backswing and then left it there for the downswing.
I'm like a the guy from Rain Man when it comes to this kind of stuff.

The article ("Head Games") was in Golf Tips Mag's "2002 Golf Instruction Annual" on page 34-38. In the article, it said....

"Most Tour pros start their swings with their heads positioned slightly behind the ball (toward the right foot). From this position, they'll generally move seven to 15 centimeters away from the ball on the backswing and impact the ball from that position. For example, Stewart Cink moves approximately 5 centimeters to the right on the backswing, and hits the ball with his head still four to five centimeters back."

cdog

New
I would say most of us hackers do it to try to generate power, and /or simply can't control their bodies.

Brian Manzella said:
Most golfers are slicers.

Slicers have open clubfaces, so they are using ANYTHING they can to "make it slice less."

One is flipping, but another is so-called reserved hips on the downswing with the inherent roundhouse shoulder turn and a forward moving center.

There wer plenty of good answers including Lynn's.

Trust me, if there was even DECENT instruction giving to all golfers, nobody would lose their center really bad on the downswing.

Don't you think it can be fear of fat shots too?

But isn't the cause of the reversed hips a too open clubface B? (a clubface that they want to try to close and not hit the inside of the ball- and not have axis tilt....and not want to slide their hips properly...)

No??

i would say that both pivots look correct for different shots. I know that if im hitting a sand wedge i dont want a pivot like the one on the right, i would prefer i pivot like the one on the left so i can keep the trajectory down. If i was hitting a 3 iron i would definately prefer a pivot like the one on the right verse the one on the lift so i can hit the ball higher. Like hogan once said with out trajectory you cant have accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.