Underplane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have suffered from being underplane so much I don't get much enjoyment out of golf.

I've looked at all the information on this site and own all the videos. Didn't help very much or only for a short time.

What is the best way to get rid of this ?

dbl

New
Generally, that would be NHA. Add some carry and tumble .

Any more info? What bad shots happen? I couldn't hit fairway woods. Also, wedges with bad ball position were problematic.

What happens when you tried to do the NHA stuff?

Last edited:

dbl

New
Well....following the bouncing ball (of this description)...path might still be right AND face is open.

I got on some radar machines and confirmed I had gotten the path to the left. Then, I wound having to adjust things back.

Personally for you I'd think you'd need do more carry and really make sure path is left, then deal with face issues.

I always thought I had the face open. Worked hard on contolling the face and it didn't help.
So I'm sure it is path.

One thing I would point out here is this: you can't hit straight pushes with a face that's closed to the path, or pointing at the target. So, you would still have an open clubface relative to your target, but square to your inside-out path. In other words, it seems to me that you've still got a face AND path problem. A ball that starts right and stays right does so, in part, because of a face that's pointing that way. Moderators/experts, if I'm off, please delete this post or set me straight.

I always thought I had the face open. Worked hard on contolling the face and it didn't help.
So I'm sure it is path.

Do you know this to be true, as in verified with Doppler? I was proven to be wrong about what I thought was happening with my impact. I rarely have anything useful to add about the swing, but if you can get properly diagnosed with Doppler, I know you'll save yourself a ton of time and frustration.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Generally, that would be NHA. Add some carry and tumble .

Any more info? What bad shots happen? I couldn't hit fairway woods. Also, wedges with bad ball position were problematic.

What happens when you tried to do the NHA stuff?

NHA is not an underplane video.

TRACKMAN Performance Studio would tell you in one swing the path, face AND the ratio between them. Well worth a C note, IMO...

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
hit balls with a long 2 x 4 behind the ball but parallel to your feet...can't hit the ball with a big underplane stroke. Fixes me up everytime.

ej20

New
I have suffered from being underplane so much I don't get much enjoyment out of golf.

I've looked at all the information on this site and own all the videos. Didn't help very much or only for a short time.

What is the best way to get rid of this ?

The answer is in the shape of your shape.Most underplaners have a swing shape that is flat on the take away,get steep in the transition,and then shallow(reverse tumble) all the way into impact.

The proper swing shape is a steep takeaway which helps promote a shallow transition and from a here you can steepen(tumble) into impact without worrying about OTT.This may sound complicated but the golf swing requires plane shifts so the key is to get these shifts in the correct order.

It's not an easy fix as it requires as Ben Hogan states,"reverse every natural instinct,do the opposite of what you are inclined to do and you will come close to having the perfect golf swing".

dbl

New
NHA is not an underplane video.

Well, okay, BUT...in it Brian explicitly mentions and demonstrates underplane problems and has the dplane set up for it (10:48 in the movie).

I realize from the other big threads, that underplane is complex and can be for a lot of reasons (see BPS thread that you contrbnuted a lot to). Interestingly in that thread you recommend SD strongly.

Here's a link to find other BPS posts at this site: http://www.google.com/search?source...biw=1024&bih=623&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&cad=b

Last edited:
Jim, how far behind? Thanks.

I've done this drill before. You need to leave enough room for the sweetspot to hit the ball, and the toe to swing clear of the 2x4, but you obviously don't want to give yourself enough room to "cheat." So, it's not more than 3-4 inches from the ball, I would think.

It actually is a good drill to keep you from coming way inside out, but you also can't swing way OTT with this drill, or you'll do some damage to your wrists on the board, I would think. Start slowly.

The answer is in the shape of your shape.Most underplaners have a swing shape that is flat on the take away,get steep in the transition,and then shallow(reverse tumble) all the way into impact.

The proper swing shape is a steep takeaway which helps promote a shallow transition and from a here you can steepen(tumble) into impact without worrying about OTT.This may sound complicated but the golf swing requires plane shifts so the key is to get these shifts in the correct order.

It's not an easy fix as it requires as Ben Hogan states,"reverse every natural instinct,do the opposite of what you are inclined to do and you will come close to having the perfect golf swing".

Very interesting. I think I need me some of this. I am pounding the driver and can't an iron to save my life. Been that way for too long.

By "steep takeaway" does that mean lifting the club head off the ground early via wrist cock and arm abrupt arm lifting?
Can you define how to accomplish this so I don't "over do" it.

I've done this drill before. You need to leave enough room for the sweetspot to hit the ball, and the toe to swing clear of the 2x4, but you obviously don't want to give yourself enough room to "cheat." So, it's not more than 3-4 inches from the ball, I would think.

It actually is a good drill to keep you from coming way inside out, but you also can't swing way OTT with this drill, or you'll do some damage to your wrists on the board, I would think. Start slowly.

I still am not sure if I am picturing this drill correctly. If someone could confirm I have this right it would be appreciated:

1) Set up to ball with 2x4 parallel to feet
2) 2x4 should be approximately 4 inches behind the ball, with the club directly behind the ball
3) You then hit the ball, without touching the 2x4 with your club.

Is this correct?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim, how far behind? Thanks.

Far away enough away until your plane line gets better, then move it closer and closer to increase the difficulty but leave enough room for the "Through swing" so at say 10 difficulty you would have the board a few inches from the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.