Underplane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Underplane Anonymous

One of my guiding principles as a mediocre golfer is to try and make "static" changes i.e. address. All in this in hopes that there will be a chain effect of sorts. I have messed with tumble, I have dabbled in carry etc. All of these ideas are gold in of themselves, but I was looking for a static change that would tie some stuff together, or at least get me off to a good start. I may have found it, and since it has helped me tremendously to get my swing direction further left, I thought I would offer it up here.

I have watched NHA...at least 20 times! The thing that Brian recommends that I have had a devil of a time with is getting my hands and the butt of the club more centered at address ala classic address. My pop-out tendency is (at least partly) caused by my hands being in more of an impact alignment (wonder where I learned that from!:eek:)

So I was piddling with it at the range one day and really exaggerated moving my hands to a mid-body position (felt more like the shaft was leaning away from the target) Pow! I tried it again...pow! The strike was so pure, the shape so good that I stopped cold to try and capture in a bottle the electricity that may still have remained! Then it hit me! My shaft was perpendicular to the swing direction (left of course) while my feet were pretty well squared away to the target. This really helps me keep the clubhead outside of my hands (while still having the proper relationship to the leftward swing direction. I am 1,000 balls into this deal and I do not think that I have been too inside out more than 5 shots.

So as the site savants have suggested I may have learned how to get steeper on the backswing. I have a side by side still somewhere showing a way too horizontal left arm at impact v. a left arm that dangerously close to vertical at impact. Something else: I would come out of my forward bend big time...no more!

So standing square to the target line (using Hogan's basic foot alignments) I set the shaft perpendicular to my swing direction. Hope that might be helpful to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.