Underplane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I still am not sure if I am picturing this drill correctly. If someone could confirm I have this right it would be appreciated:

1) Set up to ball with 2x4 parallel to feet
2) 2x4 should be approximately 4 inches behind the ball, with the club directly behind the ball
3) You then hit the ball, without touching the 2x4 with your club.

Is this correct?

Ball
Board
Feet
----
illustration below (in the above order)

O

===========

I I

Put the ball in the middle of the board or so, the reply system won't let me space it out that's why it shows way up front. Ball should be in the middle of the board. Also, space the ball far enough from the board so you have confidence to hit it, then slowly move it closer to up the difficulty.

Last edited:
Ball
Board
Feet
----
illustration below (in the above order)

O

===========

I I

Put the ball in the middle of the board or so, the reply system won't let me space it out that's why it shows way up front. Ball should be in the middle of the board. Also, space the ball far enough from the board so you have confidence to hit it, then slowly move it closer to up the difficulty.

So, I'm an idiot. Glad Jim cleared up what he was talking about, because I was thinking of a drill where the board is placed on the other side of the ball. Ignore my stupidity.

So the drill is a violent form of Brian's Towel Drill?

I like it.

Jim, how close do you get before the people around you get nervous?

dbl

New
There are two ways to swing left.

If you shift the plane line left in your setup, then just set the board parallel to the plane line and...no problem.

If you set your target line to the target and shift your plane line in the downswing, I would say again, have the board parallel to your final plane. That or have less board to the left of the ball.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
So the drill is a violent form of Brian's Towel Drill?

I like it.

Jim, how close do you get before the people around you get nervous?

I don't pay attention to the people around me, generally when i practice there aren't a lot of people on the grass anyway.

ej20

New
Very interesting. I think I need me some of this. I am pounding the driver and can't an iron to save my life. Been that way for too long.

By "steep takeaway" does that mean lifting the club head off the ground early via wrist cock and arm abrupt arm lifting?
Can you define how to accomplish this so I don't "over do" it.

You can have a steeper takeaway with a late or early wrist set.The key is to avoid the temptation to point the butt end at the ball or target line during the takeaway.Feel like you keep the butt end pointed away as long as you can.You can of course overdo it and get the club too steep but in my opinion steeper is better than flatter in the takeaway.You won't see many pros with a flat "popout" type backswing but you will see many with a steep backswing.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
There are a number of scenarios that create a swing that is too much inside out.

I say "too much inside-out" and not "below plane" because technically, you are always "on plane."

Now once a golfer is in this predicament, and he hitting balls right in front of you, it is usually one of a couple of things. The most likely is simply too much right side bend too soon. Another one is too much weight on the left foot at the top WITH too much forward bend (right torso lean look) and/or hips that have move too much toward the target. Yet another is the golfer simply has not rotated their chest enough at impact for their pattern.

The Fix? I rarely use tumble, but it can come in handy, for me about once a month. The easiest change will occur with "carry," which is the unwind of the torso without right side bend, and hands that do not start to go toward the ball. In other words—NOT a hand path that goes straight downward from the top. Lots of times I will get on my knees, get behind the golfer and move them during the swing to get the feel of "unwinding enough" with the right amount of hip slide and hip tilt, and left chest up and back.

I call it "giving you the bizness."

Sounds like you just gave me the answer I was searching for Brian, no?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HEZLqyjap4?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HEZLqyjap4?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kevin seems to be have been thinking along the same lines, as was Lindsey Newman.

Tumble can help an underplane issue but in and of itself does not cure and inside out path.

Your overturned and overleaned upper body and clubface angle have more to do with the inside path IMO

From" http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfing-discussions/13147-sergio-garcia-tumble-35.html"

There are a number of scenarios that create a swing that is too much inside out.

I say "too much inside-out" and not "below plane" because technically, you are always "on plane."

Now once a golfer is in this predicament, and he hitting balls right in front of you, it is usually one of a couple of things. The most likely is simply too much right side bend too soon. Another one is too much weight on the left foot at the top WITH too much forward bend (right torso lean look) and/or hips that have move too much toward the target. Yet another is the golfer simply has not rotated their chest enough at impact for their pattern.

The Fix? I rarely use tumble, but it can come in handy, for me about once a month. The easiest change will occur with "carry," which is the unwind of the torso without right side bend, and hands that do not start to go toward the ball. In other words—NOT a hand path that goes straight downward from the top. Lots of times I will get on my knees, get behind the golfer and move them during the swing to get the feel of "unwinding enough" with the right amount of hip slide and hip tilt, and left chest up and back.

Brian,
isn't this what we did with the Table?
Put the table or I guess a person could use a chair right next and in line with your right foot and don't hit the table or chair.
Before I went on the IR with shoulder surgery (no golf right now) that if I put my golf bag next to my right foot and not in front of it and practiced I could almost immediately fix my path.
here is a link to the table description by Brian.

YouTube - ‪trickyric67's Channel‬‏

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

This an impotant post for the reason that while we talk aot about vertical handpath and tumble, I, too, will not use it in everyday lessons unless I'm positive the person needs it or can do it. Even my 2-8 handicap reverse tumblers are just more or less neutralized by practicing open face tumbling. Hell, I sure dont do it with my TSP downswing...maybe real late.

Thx ej...I didn't get your post before I went to the range but I get what you are saying. I did get a chance to do Jim's 2X4 drill except I used an old broom handle. That drill coupled with "catching the drop" had me hitting it the best I have in long time. I was literally dropping my hands and pivoting. Pretty weird feeling for a guy who has a tough time not "going after it" from the top. I dunno if this means if was underplane or not but it was sure was fun. Of course the trick is if I can replicate this move again on the range and then the course.

May not be your problem, but I'd also recommend checking your right hand grip. I see a lot of underplaners who have a really strong right hand grip, which allows the club to get real laid off, then in transition they lay it off even more and come in under plane.

Weakening that right hand grip and getting it more on top of the grip will for some people force the swing to work more up and down as opposed to around.

Status
Not open for further replies.