well thats it for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, i think im finally through with golf. shot 101 yesterday. i realised, and really have done for a long time, known i'll never be good enough to be a professional. and because of that, my dream of being a teacher also goes out the window. therefore golf as a future is a pointless aim.

so thats it. im done with it.

goodbye forum members. hope you all continually enjoy your golf and good luck in the future. hope you all have more success in this game then i have.

well, i think im finally through with golf. shot 101 yesterday. i realised, and really have done for a long time, known i'll never be good enough to be a professional. and because of that, my dream of being a teacher also goes out the window. therefore golf as a future is a pointless aim.

goodbye forum members. hope you all continually enjoy your golf and good luck in the future. hope you all have more success in this game then i have.

Golf is a great game but I don't see why people put negative pressure on themselves to preform. The point is you should enjoy it first and let the rewards take care of themselves later.

When you watch TV on the television - its really a showcase where you watching the best players in the world play. Many people fall into the trap of measuring themselves by that standard which is going to do nothing but create real emotional distress.

You get what you put into golf. There is no way that there is not something you can think of that without a shadow of a doubt will result in improving your game.

My advice would be take a couple weeks, a month even and then rebuild your game but come into it with a different mental perspective because right now you are obviously beating yourself up which you know yourself is counterproductive.

Cya pecky. Hope you'll find an activity less time consuming and more enjoyable than golf :)
Let us know when you return. And never say never.

Empathy and depression

Well I´ve just about had it, too. This game is too hard, period. Reluctantly joining the army of depressed millions who quit every year. You have a head full of passion and all this good information and every other swing or day the body keeps behaving like a tiresome hacker. Need a body transplant (or is that a brain transplant...?) Going back to Karolinska instead of Louisville or New Orleans...

Last edited:
Wow guys, I hope you aren't reacting too 'off the cuff'.

I have certainly been there. Honestly. I am still a very newish golfer, and there are times I improved, and almost the very second I was sure I knew why, this game would kick me in the teeth, and remind me that I knew absolutely nothing.

There comes a time when I think those of us that aren't 'born to be golfers' (myself included) go through real grinds. Guys like us have to grind to improve, even if it's an inch at a time.

Lately I've been in that phase of slowly pulling myself out of a hole, but I know I'm only a couple of bad rounds from where you guys are right now. I think more of us are in this category than in any other.

Step back for a while. Enjoy the game by whatever drove you to pick up the clubs in the first place. Come back to the range when you've had a breather, but don't quit. You will get past this inevitably. :)

But golf itself isn't pointless

So I hope you can at least go out and enjoy a game , me and my 2 mates play every friday afternoon, me I am 61 Joe is late 50's John is ...well let's just say retired :) Joe he keeps pushing em right, sometimes slicing em way right ,chips out of the bush (Australia) hits some lovely 5 woods some very nice 8/9 irons into the green couple of puts and he is smiling, John hits a lovely drive most of the time, way way out there sometimes as far as 170 mtrs, hits a couple of 4 rescue clubs....quite close to the green, can't chip for love nor money, sometimes putts from 20 mtrs off the green !! gets em close too..buggered if I know how he does that, me, I have always had a feel for golf, only realy started when I finished playing football (soccer) always could hit em straight, then I found this forum, watched Brians video's learned how not to flip em ....wow, got the latest Sd video and learned some more, early hip turn and stepping on the right then the left...such a nice feeling when it comes off, 2 fridays ago I shot 83 I was in golf heaven so where my mates, last Friday I shot 98 !! my shoulders are shot and I have a gammy leg...so it happens, we will be out there this Friday if you fancy a game..just for fun that is , because it is a great game,

Pecky you'll be back!

Think to a time when you hit it your best...........played your best............

You did it once and can do it again. (and more often)

(and better)

L8R.

Last edited:
im gonna try and stay away from the game for as long as possible. its just got so frustrating. im supposed to know enough to help players far superior to myself. so why cant i play to decent level????

i dont know why i cant translate my knowledge into results. if anyone can help me answer that, i might not give the game up afterall.

Pecky987,

Perhaps, during your rounds your focus turns to all of your golf knowledge (i.e. technique, clubface control, swing plane etc) as opposed to just playing golf. I am notorious for this. Focus on "scoring", getting the ball in the hole. during your round and technique/ball flight on the range.

Like I said, I go through this every golf season. Focusing on getting the ball in the hole as opposed to how I get the ball in the hole has helped me out.

I have found that what you think your doing and what you are actually doing are two different realities, even video anaylisis is not the answer, its only 2 dimensional. If you don't have a good instructor close by like myself, start from the ball backwards, the ball doesn't lie. Its problem solving 101, the ball is doing this... well that means I am doing this..., what is causing it and what do I need to do to fix it.

- I've only played 5 rounds this year because of a lack of interest in golf, and the sun absolutely kills my skin and energy.

- You will be back! Golf is like a bad lover that keeps coming back to your life OR the 'regifted' gift that keeps finding its way back on your doorstep.

- I hate golf because I'm not as good as Lorena O.

- Golf is not for perfectionist! Amen

- I've always thought that untalented folks should take a different approach to the game. Learn how to disect the course 150 yards at a time, make a chip, and a putt. Grind!!! Love the process...

- Golf isn't real exercise, so most would do themselves a favor by quitting the game, and taking up cycling or walking.

Last edited:

BurnItUp

Homer Kelley knew more about the golf swing than anyone and he never even got to single figures.

What does that tell you?

Last edited:
pecky said:
im gonna try and stay away from the game for as long as possible. its just got so frustrating. im supposed to know enough to help players far superior to myself. so why cant i play to decent level????

i dont know why i cant translate my knowledge into results. if anyone can help me answer that, i might not give the game up afterall.

You hitting it all over the place or is there a pattern?

When I am having a bad day it can help to work backwards.

Working backwards:

There's my ball.....left of the green.....I overdrew it......that's been happening a lot lately........why?.............just threw it away a little?.....nah......I swung too far to right.....better stay closer to the NHA side for a bit.

Plus the typical advice of check and refine your setup and aim.

Etc. etc.

Nothing you don't have in your co co nut already but I'll try to help.

"Simplicity is the first principle." -Hannibal Lecter!! (a smart face eater)

I'm not one of these bigtime anal simplicity buffs (I am anal in the other direction as is evidenced) but sometimes it will do you good to troubleshoot that way.

But it sounds like a break will probably do you good.....as they say. Sounds like it's worth a shot anyway. It should be easy enough to find something else less stressful than GOLF to occupy the time, no doubt.

Good luck.

I've only played 5 rounds this year because of a lack of interest in golf, and the sun absolutely kills my skin and energy.

You will be back! Golf is like a bad lover that keeps coming back to your life OR the 'regifted' gift that keeps finding its way back on your doorstep.

I hate golf because I'm not as good as Lorena O.

Golf is not for perfectionist! Amen

I've always thought that untalented folks should take a different approach to the game. Learn how to disect the course 150 yards at a time, make a chip, and a putt. Grind!!! Love the process...

Golf isn't real exercise, so most would do themselves a favor by quitting the game, and taking up cycling or walking.

Sounds about right.

Last edited:

pecky, having knowledge isn't a prereqisite of success....
Look how long it took to develop the A-bomb, even though the "knowledge" had been around for years...

All you need to develop golf is a sound understanding (but SIMPLIFIED so you can compute it) and patience....and a good field to test your theories...
If something doesn't work (and you'll know within 100 balls) then bung it in the bin!.....
Make your golf swing work for you, not the other way around....

pecky, having knowledge isn't a prereqisite of success....
Look how long it took to develop the A-bomb, even though the "knowledge" had been around for years...

All you need to develop golf is a sound understanding (but SIMPLIFIED so you can compute it) and patience....and a good field to test your theories...
If something doesn't work (and you'll know within 100 balls) then bung it in the bin!.....
Make your golf swing work for you, not the other way around....

if knowledge of the swing equaled results, then the best teacher in the world would also be the best player world.

if knowledge of the swing equaled results, then the best teacher in the world would also be the best player world.

very well said. and i agree.

birdie (and someone else, sorry not sure who), yes i've tried to work backwards, but its hard whens theres no pattern to your shots.

example. hole 12 at my course yesterday. dogleg to the right, with trees and OB right. wind from the left. pull hook into trees on the other side of the fairway. punch out. 9 iron left to a pin on the front right wind off the left. aim middle left of green. push fade into the deepest bunker on the course, up against the lip, plugged, with the pin tucked. take 2 get it out. chip and putt. 7

thins, fats, tops, blocks and pulls. how can you fix this on the course, with all the knowledge in the world????

the fact that you are posting on this topic multiply times, tells me that you are not quitting golf. You probably be back in less than a week.

Pecky...

Dis shat just takes time to digest, translate, and execute.

I've only been playing for 3 years but I've had tears in my eyes when I couldn't duplicate something on the course that I did on the range. What I found out was that the range is my friend AND enemy.

Where I used to hit tons and tons of balls, I now spend most time pitching, chipping, and putting. At most, I hit a small bucket of balls. I do spend a lot more time swinging a club around the house. I believe this has been a huge factor in helping me to improve.

When I first found this site and visited Brian, I was a year into golf. I struggled to break 100 and looked horrible in my swing.

I've reached the point of giving up several times...but each time....instead of quitting, I scaled back a bit and looked for a different approach to the game (how I practiced, what I practiced on, etc, who I played with..)

All the while, I eliminated all other teaching concepts except Brian's. After 2 years on this site, and about 10hrs of lessons from da man, I am hitting every other round in the mid-80s. It is really hot here in Florida (97 degrees yesterday) and I didn't sleep well Saturday night. I got up and played on Sun and shot 96 on a course I shot 87 on Friday. I just struggled mentally with the heat but so did everyone else I played with. I didn't get depressed because of the 96 because I was just a bit off on some things that could have had me at mid-80[s or less (chipping and putting). I almost never 3 putt and had 4 or 5 of those.

A key here is that I used to have to play my best, just a short time ago, to hit mid-90s. Now, it seemed like I played really terrible and ended up there. As of late...and all the sudden...half of my rounds are in a scoring range I only dreamed of (shooting in the 80s) a short time ago. And since SD came out, Ive gone from a 22 to an 18 pretty quick. I can truly see where I can get another 5-7 strokes off in the next few months. My goal is to get to a 10 by the end of next year.

So, I guess I am trying to say that I never believed I would get the progress I have realized as of late. Whenever I make really good progress, it comes after times of great frustration. If what you are doing to improve is not working, try another approach. Improvement will come!

As far as teaching goes....I'm not all that great but...I am showing my kids the stuff I am learning here and they are really doing good for the short amount of time that they've played the game. I have 22, 18, 15, and 5 year old sons that I am working with...with results. Yet, I could shoot 101 tomorrow EASY.

So, I don't know what level you are trying to get to or how long you have invested in getting there but....Look how long it's taken Brian. He is still figuring stuff out after 25 years. I really believe with what I've learned in a short time from BM.COM and Brian himself, I could really help people's swing if I was inclined to do so. So, I don't think I need some PGA affiliation to really help people with their swing. Just turns out that THAT ain't my cup of tea. But I have people asking me all the time....how did my swing improve so much in a short time??? How do I stop doing this or that (because they know I did)????? And, I give them a little answer or quick lesson (and they are amazed) and then send them here. Guess what....I don't think any of them come because they never bring it up and they are doing the same thing the next week when I see them again.

So, I hope you get the golfing jones again and work on a fresher approach to your ultimate goal. Heck, maybe Brian will start an apprenticeship program, certifying one as a Manzella Academy Certified Pro. If I wanted to teach and Brian had a teaching program, I'd be all over it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.