What Kind of Release is this? & Can an effective swing include no deceleration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Glad that others are finally seeing the double standards being applied and faulty logic to try to piece meal a theory together. The fact that the elite model keeps changing is very significant.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Art Maffei: "The pelvis decelerates because of everything above it with the high total moment of inertia, and respective high torques push against the counterclockwise rotating pelvis. The degree of deceleration to lower pelvis angular velocities, still leave the pelvis rotating with a positive but reduced angular velocity, typically to about half at impact."

Half.

I can really relate the decel of Jamie's hips to my tennis serve.
20 years ago I could serve at pro level speed/spin.
In that motion I could really feel beginning from my feet the energy moving up through to the racket. Felt like my whole body was a massive whip. Never understood it but I knew the feel and tension at any one part broke it. It FELT powerful with the wrong tension but the ball didn't have that same pop.
Looking back back its like the energy flowed like water through me.
I don't have that feel in golf but I am always slowly inching closer.
A chain doesn't have anything to do with a conscious decel effort as I see it. It simply occurs in a coordinated athletic action.
Some good old school golfers one in particular wrote about it.
I think if you're feeling that there's individual pieces of your body doing things at different times like little mini moves you simply have not yet achieved the proper synergy of motion for that move.
I may not be a good golfer but in tennis I was dialed in.
The feel is your body flowing the energy moving through it like water.
I think trying to say the chain action doesn't happen because you don't want to decelerate the pieces is really gross misunderstanding of the chain.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Rory McIllroy's Kinematic Sequence:

roryships.jpg

Rory McIllroy's Kinematic Sequence:

roryships.jpg

If I'm reading the chart correctly, Rory's hips accelerate on the downswing, then slow down, then actually reverse after impact and then accelerate again. This correlates with the slo-mo YouTube video of McIlroy that I posted earlier in this thread.

Old Tom

drew -

You beat me to the punch! It must be his putting that makes him so good!!! :mad:

Next we'll hear that the graph was faked, or the information wasn't obtained correctly or some other problem that doesn't affect their "research."

ej20

New
It appears pelvic rotation deceleration is similar amongst amateurs and pros only that everything happens faster with the pros.Also it appears that this deceleration can vary from player to player,some decelerate sooner and others later.Rory decelerates sooner than Sadlowski.

Has anyone asked the pros whether or not they purposely decelerate their hips before impact for more power or are they trying to accelerate everything and the deceleration just happens?This is not a rhetorical question.I would really like to know.This could be another case of feel vs real.

It appears pelvic rotation deceleration is similar amongst amateurs and pros only that everything happens faster with the pros.Also it appears that this deceleration can vary from player to player,some decelerate sooner and others later.Rory decelerates sooner than Sadlowski.

Has anyone asked the pros whether or not they purposely decelerate their hips before impact for more power or are they trying to accelerate everything and the deceleration just happens?This is not a rhetorical question.I would really like to know.This could be another case of feel vs real.

...it is very important to realize that at no time did the bottom disk “put the brakes on” intentionally, in fact the pelvis spring kept turning as hard as it could the whole time. The reason the pelvis slowed down is because the acceleration of the thorax disk pulled back on the pelvis.
From anther thread linking to Phil Cheetham's quote.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Let's debate the WHY on some other threads....

This thread has LONG BEEN ABOUT the what.

And the what is THERE IS DECELERATION IN THE ROTATIONAL VELOCITY OF ALL POWERFUL GOLF SWINGS.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
A quote from Art Maffei:

...The primary discussion HERE seems to me based on whether or not the pelvis decelerates through impact, and to my scientific systems understanding, the answer is YES, it has to if the torso and elements above it are to achieve higher angular velocities, ESPECIALLY THE TORSO.

The reason is simply that to achieve a higher torso angular velocity, torque has to be added ABOVE the pelvis, thereby pushing back, and slowing it down. If as your comments infer, a golfer with more pelvic strength swings, they COULD over-power the torso’s ability to accelerate, get ‘stuck’ to the pelvis, but because of the additional inertia and limited range of motion and torque profile of the pelvis, would result in a lower torso angular velocity, therefore lower club head speed.

Worst of all however, and the scientific place I have decided to emphasize as it has a very high ‘resource to payoff ratio’, is the adverse impact to the golfers lower body dynamic balance and stability (as measured with high quality force plates). Efforts to increase and retain high pelvic angular velocities would exacerbate the required lower bodies dynamic stability resulting in undesirable ‘reflex’ actions, further reducing the quality and club head velocity of the swing.

...understand that for All GOLFERS BEST/OPTIMUM SWINGS, PELVIC DECELERATION IS INEVITABLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.