What Mass is involved in the strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presumptuous you are about those conditons, eh?

"Presumptious"?

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you actually did what you said you did. And maybe even that you did it competently. And that your "love of learning" extends to explaining what you did in the conventional manner.

But if you've got nothing else to bring, that benefit of the doubt won't last forever.

lia41985

There's always a benefit to doubt. Paradox is inherent to living. Even in the so-called unconventional fashion.

Bullshit. I respect doubt and scepticism as much as the next guy, but it needs to be a little more rigorous and discerning than what you're trying to deploy.

How about you tell us about your experiment and if I have any more doubts I'll let you know.

lia41985

I'd tell you about it if I was looking for a peer review to validate my findings.

I'm not. I'm looking for others to do whatever it is they want to do and to believe whatever it is they want to believe. In the mean time they can try the experiment and react accordingly.

I realized that too, sir. But I also realized the collision would be substantively different between the clamped and non-clamped examples (i.e. significant). Something worth reporting? Maybe. A great discovery? Maybe not. Intuitive? Well, who are you? :)

How did you suspend the club and shaft in space with nothing clamping the shaft?

lia41985

Regarding your first question: it seems to have been interpreted that way by you and may be by others as well but that wasn't my intention.

2nd ?: The non-clamped example presents a different outcome. One that varies from the clamped example.

Regarding your first question: it seems to have been interpreted that way by you and may be by others as well but that wasn't my intention.

2nd ?: The non-clamped example presents a different outcome. One that varies from the clamped example.

Would you mind sharing how you performed this experiment?

Ok...Maybe you should clearly state your intention so that it is not misinterpreted.

I still don't follow. Were there two trials where:

1. A club was clamped at the handle

and another trial where

2. A club was not clamped at the handle

?

Last edited:

lia41985

1.) is correct; and
2.) would be where the club was suspended freely from the handle (i.e. by a "string").

I hope that's clearer.

lia41985

Controls: club type, ball type, speed at which ball is fired, etc.

Variable: clamped vs. unclamped (free string, what Brian seems to be referring to as "dangling")

Brian's saying these are different and I agree but I don't think he's grasping the significance of that in regards to impact. And no, I'm not talking about mythically "adding mass".

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Geez...Luke.

I told you I went straight to experts on this and I got a really good, detailed answer.

And then you started trying to put doubt in a FACT as reported by the best in the industry.....

So, if I put up the response, from the experts, you still might not be satisfied, correct?

Then, why in a heck should I?

Controls: club type, ball type, speed at which ball is fired, etc.

Variable: clamped vs. unclamped (free string, what Brian seems to be referring to as "dangling")

Brian's saying these are different and I agree but I don't think he's grasping the significance of that in regards to impact. And no, I'm not talking about mythically "adding mass".

Didn't answer my question again. Thanks for the controls, but the "variables" you listed are really the experimental group and the control group, take your pick which is which in this case. How the club is held is the independent variable.

What was/were the dependent variable(s)? If you don't know what a dependent variable means, what to do?

Last edited:
The dependent variable is the ball's "rebound' after collision.

Think of a COR test.

Cool! So the "rebound" was measured in distance? speed?

Was the club's movement measured at all? What tool was used? Digital oscilloscope or high speed camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.