What Mass is involved in the strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lia41985

Yet you are arguing that a ball will act differently if impacted by a club that is not attached to anything, but do not advocate letting go of the club before impact. What is the Latin term for this kind of logic fallacy?
What's English for: "What you wrote doesn't make sense."

Oh, that's it.

What's English for: "What you wrote doesn't make sense."

Oh, that's it.

:)

Does that mean you didn't understand what I was getting at?

Let me try again. You used the argument that Mandrin's assessment was not entirely correct because it did not simulate real golf, therefore does not relate to a real golfing situation.

You are asserting that a ball behaves differently when it strikes a club where nothing except a string is attached to the shaft compared to a club that is clamped.

Using your argument about Mandrin's work then related to your assessment: real golf is played with a clamp(hands) on the shaft, therefore your assessment is not entirely correct nor does it relate to a real golfing situation.

You get what I mean?

Out of curiosity Lia, what is it that you are hypothesizing. I assume that you feel clamped vs unclamped during impact will make a difference on the ball flight.

If the club is moving the same way whether it is clamped or it isn't (controlled variable), I personally can't see how there is enough time for the ball to react in two different ways. The club would react differently I imagine but I don't see how the ball would be able to. There must be something deeper beneath the surface of this argument that you are rooted to, or is this it.

If this is it, how would your hypothesis change the way a club should be swung, or be taught to be swung?

Just curious, thanks.

lia41985

Clamped versus dangling club

Ball fired at the same "spot" on the face (non CoG) -- somewhat analogically related to a golfing mishit

How does the ball react differently based on how the club is "secured"?

Logical fallacies...what?

Something deeper? Always, baby :)

Slowly...though ;)

Last edited:
You must have stopped reading/thinking after you read what you bolded. :)

No

Oh Lia, you know what happens when one makes assumptions.

I'm just trying to figure out what the hell this clamped/unclamped business has to do with hitting a golf ball. I still don't get what this has to do with the real world of golf....or the original point of this thread.

Last edited:
Clamped versus dangling club

Ball fired at the same "spot" on the face (non CoG) -- somewhat analogically related to a golfing mishit

How does the ball react differently based on how the club is "secured"?

Logical fallacies...what?

Something deeper? Always, baby :)

Slowly...though ;)

Hands still on the club on a mishit, not a string.

Oh well, I'll be waiting on your breakthrough information.

lia41985

Hands still on the club on a mishit, not a string.

Oh well, I'll be waiting on your breakthrough information.
But how the hands are situated on the club (i.e. the grip) helps to determine the "securedness" with which the club is held/clamped. And if most strikes are some degree of a mishit then...

If release style/closure rate/face stability/gear effect/clamping are all irrelevant then why does a pattern like Never Hook Again advocate reverse swiveling and Never Slice Again a wedding ring up swivel?

Part of the mass is how the mass of the arms/wrists/hands torque the club. I really thought we could agree on that. Sigh.

Last edited:
But how the hands are situated on the club (i.e. the grip) helps to determine the "securedness" with which the club is held/clamped. And if most strikes are some degree of a mishit then...

If release style/closure rate/face stability/gear effect/clamping are all irrelevant then why does a pattern like Never Hook Again advocate reverse swiveling and Never Slice Again a wedding ring up swivel?

Part of the mass is how the mass of the arms/wrists/hands torque the club. I really thought we could agree on that. Sigh.

Not irrelevant, out of the player's control close to and during impact.

So, why the string? :p

lia41985

Out of control? So what of the "talent code" and "digging it out of the dirt" and
The string and clamp scenarios are illustrative examples of the extremes.

lia41985

I expect at least one person to say that video says I'm loco but in doing so offer no reason for why. Conclusory that would be :)

ZAP

New
I don't even remember what this thread is about any more. It is starting to feel like a Seinfeld episode.

Out of control? So what of the "talent code" and "digging it out of the dirt" and
The string and clamp scenarios are illustrative examples of the extremes.

Ultimate "I" guy that Iverson. Would hate to have been a teammate of his. He should have been a golfer or tennis player.

Out of control immediately prior to, during impact, and immediately following ball/club separation. Is that the disagreement?

Extremes. Ah, but, as you dismissed Mandrin's example because he omitted oblique strikes, golf is not played with strings.

lia41985

But it is played by many with poor grips and biomechanics who are prone to inconsistent striking. Concerted training yields skill acquisition yields the requisite amount of control.

Last edited:
Ultimate "I" guy that Iverson. Would hate to have been a teammate of his. He should have been a golfer or tennis player.

Out of control immediately prior to, during impact, and immediately following ball/club separation. Is that the disagreement?

Extremes. Ah, but, as you dismissed Mandrin's example because he omitted oblique strikes, golf is not played with strings.

One of the best interview rants ever! Allan played in an alternate universe!

He's a baller like Seve. Passion always is hard to train, constrain, and maintain.

Yeah, tell that to Mike Singletary (as a player). Passionate, trainable, constrainable and maintainable. I know, I know, the exception proves the rule. Passion with discipline is chicken and waffles.

But it is played by many with poor grips and biomechanics who are prone to inconsistent striking. Concerted training yields skill acquisition yields the requisite amount of control.

Yes, but let's not get into the topic of there being one optimal technique for this thread.

I'd take a guy like Reggie Miller any day over Iverson. He worked with his teammates at practice and in games.

Last edited:
I expect at least one person to say that video says I'm loco but in doing so offer no reason for why. Conclusory that would be :)

This horse has been dead near a week, and you won't stop flogging it - but in doing so, won't offer any reason for why.

There just might, even yet, be some posters willing to engage with you if you'd just cut the pseudo-gnostic crap and describe what you actually did in your experiment and what it yielded. But of course, there are risks in that level of disclosure, aren't there?

Status
Not open for further replies.