Who are you rooting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, unfortunately, Tiger and Rory will not meet each other in the finals this year.

So who are you rooting for now?

Personally, in the semi-finals, I'm hoping to see Bubba vs. Kuchar and Poulter vs. Mahan........

Not really a Poulter fan...but would love to see him win and cement his reputation as the best matchplay golfer of his generation and perhaps even the best of all time. He's got my support at the moment.

Dariusz J.

I am rooting for:

1. Bob Jones: Furyk
2. Ben Hogan: Kuchar
3. Gary Player*: Mahan
4. Sam Snead: Poulter

*why the hell Gary Player and not e.g. Walter Hagen or Byron Nelson ? Player does not match the rest of the three, IMO.

Cheers

P.S. It is great that two "best" golfers ended in the first round. They are not so "best" as many think.

I am rooting for:

*why the hell Gary Player and not e.g. Walter Hagen or Byron Nelson ? Player does not match the rest of the three, IMO.

Cheers

P.S. It is great that two "best" golfers ended in the first round. They are not so "best" as many think.

Ha! So you're rooting for the same guys I'm rooting for. With the exception of.......Furyk. I think it'd be a lot more fun to watch if Bubba advanced rather than Furyk.

Dariusz J.

Ha! So you're rooting for the same guys I'm rooting for. With the exception of.......Furyk. I think it'd be a lot more fun to watch if Bubba advanced rather than Furyk.

Depends to whom. I prefer to watch boring great ballstriking between tee to green instead whacking the ball everywhere.

Cheers

Depends to whom. I prefer to watch boring great ballstriking between tee to green instead whacking the ball everywhere.

Cheers

I don't accept the premise that Bubba is a bomb n gouger the way that Mickelson is. Bubba is tremendously accurate for his length. Mickelson.......is definitely not.

I am rooting for:

Cheers

Isn't Gary Player the most successful non-American golfer since Harry Vardon and Old Tom Morris? This is a World Golf Championship so they can't name every bracket after an American golfer.....

Lot of great matches happening today! Bubba/Furyk, Oosthuizen/Garrigus, Rose/Colsaerts, Sergio/Kuchar, Poulter/Van Pelt!

Most compelling? Bubba/Furyk.

Most competitive grouping? The Hogan bracket, in my opinion.

Dariusz J.

I don't accept the premise that Bubba is a bomb n gouger the way that Mickelson is. Bubba is tremendously accurate for his length. Mickelson.......is definitely not.

True. But he isn't in Furyk's consistency league either.

Isn't Gary Player the most successful non-American golfer since Harry Vardon and Old Tom Morris? This is a World Golf Championship so they can't name every bracket after an American golfer.....

If thinking this way Vardon would be more approprate than Player. Besides one should take an Oceanian guy, say, Peter Thomson.

Cheers

Dariusz,

How do you know that Furyk's swing technique would have been more effective than Bubba's back in the 1950's and 1960's? If you had been spectator, would you have complained about Nicklaus's "hit it anywhere" bomb n gouge method?

ZAP

New
I am glad both Rory and Tiger are out. And only because it means we will actually get to see someone else hit a shot on TV. It really annoys me when Tiger makes a 15 foot par putt on number 12 and they replay it from five different camera angles.

Bring on the coverage. Rooting for Alex Noren even if they took down the drill from YouTube.

Dariusz J.

Dariusz,

How do you know that Furyk's swing technique would have been more effective than Bubba's back in the 1950's and 1960's? If you had been spectator, would you have complained about Nicklaus's "hit it anywhere" bomb n gouge method?

ad.1. because in the 50-ies courses were very demanding for consistency and accuracy. I believe guys such as Furyk or Durant would have adapted very well;

ad.2. Nicklaus wasn't an inconsistent whacker a'la Mickelson, au contre, his consistency were maybe not in Hogan's league but surely better than Palmer's, just to give an example; a bomb n gouge player who hits it anywhere could have opened a bistro bar near a golf course in these times.

Cheers

Couldn't tell you since "driving effectiveness" isn't an officially recongnized stat. #1 total driving in 1980-82 when he was getting old. Who knows before that. I don't believe that metric existed before then. How many times has Bubba been #1 in total driving? I'll wait... Bubba's no Nicklaus. Period. End of story.

Dariusz J.

Actually, I've read somewhere that there were years that Nicklaus recorded a better FIR than Trevino (!!!). It is very telling statistics. Watson has no chance to repeat this and hit more fairways than Furyk or Durant.
I agree with Johnny -- Watson's not Nicklaus.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.