Who's the best amateur player here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering..I was a 2 or 3 at my club before I got hurt. The course is 6900 yards, par 72, rating is 74 and slope is 132.

It isn't? Is there a difference between calculating the handi. for the home course and other courses? All I do is punch in a score and it gives me a rating.

You're Handicap Index (expressed with 1 decimal e.g. 2.3) is totally "portable" and already factors in the Course Rating and Slope where your scores were recorded.

So a 2.3 is a 2.3 without the need to qualify what course or courses it came from. (This is different than the old method, without Slope, where it mattered greatly the difficulty of the course your handicap came from.)

Technically, a 2.3 Index would be expected to shoot 2.3 strokes above the Course Rating on a course with a slope of 113.

You're Handicap Index (expressed with 1 decimal e.g. 2.3) is totally "portable" and already factors in the Course Rating and Slope where your scores were recorded.

So a 2.3 is a 2.3 without the need to qualify what course or courses it came from. (This is different than the old method, without Slope, where it mattered greatly the difficulty of the course your handicap came from.)

Technically, a 2.3 Index would be expected to shoot 2.3 strokes above the Course Rating on a course with a slope of 113.

I did read about the old system sometime last year and I thought it still applied..when did they change it?

Because an index is computed using your 10 best differentials out of 20 and only 96% of each differential is used and because of ESC adjustments, technically a golfer would not be expected to shoot 2.3 strokes above the course rating on a course with a 113 slope.

Jim Markovitz is probably the best male am, and Lindsay Gahm the best female.

Probably? Let's just remove speculation and hold the first Manzella Forum Open. Have a Club/teaching pro division and an amateur division (separate prizes for men and women if need be). That'll figure it out. Anyone game?

Last edited:
Because an index is computed using your 10 best differentials out of 20 and only 96% of each differential is used and because of ESC adjustments, technically a golfer would not be expected to shoot 2.3 strokes above the course rating on a course with a 113 slope.

The expectation is he plays to his handicap.

Probably? Let's just remove speculation and hold the first Manzella Forum Open. Have a shirt folders/calligraphy division and an amateur division (separate prizes for men and women if need be). That'll figure it out. Anyone game?

What do you mean by "shirt folders and calligraphy division"? Are you implying that this is all golf professionals do?

Before my back surgery last year my index was +3.2, and I was maybe in the top 10 ams at my club. I'm at +.3 right now and have to have the world's most inaccurate index - the opposite of sandbagging.

The real question with this discussion is "who's game travels the best?". A rock star on your home course is one thing, but how does your index/game travel. Right now, my game travels like a new born infant. :rolleyes:

A Manzella Tour might be the best way to figure this'un out.:)

What do you mean by "shirt folders and calligraphy division"? Are you implying that this is all golf professionals do?

I know many, many great club professionals and I am fully aware of their reponsibilities. It was written in jest. If you were offended, please accept my apologies.

Last edited:

ZAP

New
Mine generally does not travel well but since working on my swing it travels better. It seems like I over think things when playing a new course. Instead of just playing I try to "figure out" the course. I will say I am getting better at it.

Is there a substitute teacher division?

Everyone enter the US amatuer and best fnish wins. Or everyone enter their state amatuer championship and post the results or post the link to the results. Best finish gets the honor of Manzella Forum Champ with a special Icon or header on their screen name!

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I will post some results as well this year. It would be cool to see the results of club championships or state amateurs or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.