Who's the best amateur player here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year in my club championship I played in the no-handicap division, but they also had a handicap division. Some guy with a 20 handicap shoots something like 76, 78, 75 each day. I had a lot of friends playing in the handicap division telling me that the guy has done it before, so I went to the Head Pro who I'm friend with and explained to him that it's statistically impossible for a 20 handicapper to shoot those scores *once*, much less 3 straight days. But, they didn't want to ruffle feathers...which is ridiculous because they already ruffled feathers of the golfers of the rest of the field playing in the handicap division. In other words, they didn't want to tick off one guy at the expense of ticking off 70 other guys.

3JACK

Bad Handicaps

3Jack,
This is the kind of thing that ruins the tournament for every other player and your statistical anlysis is right on. Solution: Make the golf committee pin the player down and adjust his handicap based upon his tournament scores. He either takes the deal or he does not play. Lots of luck and unless the Professional has the backing of the committee then he places his job in jeopardy every time he makes a decision.
MK

Last year in my club championship I played in the no-handicap division, but they also had a handicap division. Some guy with a 20 handicap shoots something like 76, 78, 75 each day. I had a lot of friends playing in the handicap division telling me that the guy has done it before, so I went to the Head Pro who I'm friend with and explained to him that it's statistically impossible for a 20 handicapper to shoot those scores *once*, much less 3 straight days. But, they didn't want to ruffle feathers...which is ridiculous because they already ruffled feathers of the golfers of the rest of the field playing in the handicap division. In other words, they didn't want to tick off one guy at the expense of ticking off 70 other guys.

3JACK

If the scores are actually posted as tournament scores his handicap will be determined by his tournament scores and not his regular scores. Of course a talented sandbagger will be sure to have some really bad tournament scores on his record to offset the good ones.

Some guys have sandbagging down to an art. We have a match play contest at my club, last year I was an 8 and shot 76 in the second round, which was good enough to get me closed out 3&2 on the 16th hole by a 16 handicap.

Who then, on the last two holes posted two double bogeys(after he had closed me out)... guy hadn't missed a fairway all day..

oh well..

Unless the president and golf chairman on the board want to get involved then the head professional has his hand tied. The best thing to do is go straight to the president of the club and make a formal complaint and get everyone else in the tournament who is pissed off do the same and keep the golf professional staff out of it. If it is only one person complaining the board will not do anything. Unfortunately the golf staff has no control over that unless they collect scorecards from everyone on the 18th green and post the scores themselves. I guarantee the sand bagger can not lie about his score with his playing partners right there when he is giving a golf staff member his score for the day.

ZAP

New
There are a few guys at the local course who I have seen with my own eyes choose not to turn in a score because it was too low and would damage their "traveling handicap". Which is why whenever I go play with them I consider my Calcutta wager more of a donation than a wager. Scratch stuff is so much better.

In the UK, the only cards for a HC are competition, medal or up to 10 supplementary cards a year. All have to be marked by another member and signed for. A NR would result in up to a 0.2 (I think) increase in HC if submitted.

Its possible for lapsed handicaps to bandit in locals but I think its rarer in competitions.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
never had a handicap and haven't played in over a year. i'd say right now if i went out and played on an ok course, i'd be a 10. we playn' for money, i'd be a 5 ;). Sometimes i just like to shoot "shots" and don't care what i score.

Sandbagging or just a lot closer than you want to think?

Some guys have sandbagging down to an art. We have a match play contest at my club, last year I was an 8 and shot 76 in the second round, which was good enough to get me closed out 3&2 on the 16th hole by a 16 handicap.

Who then, on the last two holes posted two double bogeys(after he had closed me out)... guy hadn't missed a fairway all day..

oh well..

Well, I'm a 14 handicap and can roll off pars in bunches, only to follow up with a couple doubles and triples. I typically hit it longer and straighter than my playing partners, and putt just as good (or bad ;)), but my misses are a lot worse and once I'm in trouble, it takes me a couple more strokes than the single digit brigade to get out of it. That, and chipping (my goal - get in on the green, theirs - get it close) are the difference in our games.

I played in a 2 person best ball last month with a guy that's a 7 handicap. I had 8 pars and 1 birdie and basically carried the team to a 4th place net. Everyone thought I was sandbagging but I ended up shooting 93.

So to all you 5-9 handicappers out there, get over yourselves. I play with you and I see the fats, thins, slices, hooks, chili dips, skulls, hosel rockets and worm burners that you hit. Aside from a couple of holes, you're no better than me. And while your weak-assed 225 yard "fade" will keep you in the fairway (and shooting 80), I'm about getting better and want something more, so keep your piehole shut and don't give me driving "advice".

So to all you 5-9 handicappers out there, get over yourselves. I play with you and I see the fats, thins, slices, hooks, chili dips, skulls, hosel rockets and worm burners that you hit. Aside from a couple of holes, you're no better than me. And while your weak-assed 225 yard "fade" will keep you in the fairway (and shooting 80), I'm about getting better and want something more, so keep your piehole shut and don't give me driving "advice".

Feel better now getting that off your chest?

oh well..

Technically, in this situation, once the match has concluded each player has to take the scores their handicap would produce on the remaining holes. If he closed you out 3&2 and he was a 8 handicap and the 2 holes remaining were handicapped 2 and 12 respectively then he needs to take 1 over par for the last 2 holes. not 4 over. I would file a grievance.

ZAP

New

And it's a 230 fade thank you very much.;)
Just kidding. I know where you are coming from. I do not think this thread was started with the intent of making anyone look bad. The poster just wanted a general idea of the skills of the players here.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Well, I'm a 14 handicap and can roll off pars in bunches, only to follow up with a couple doubles and triples. I typically hit it longer and straighter than my playing partners, and putt just as good (or bad ;)), but my misses are a lot worse and once I'm in trouble, it takes me a couple more strokes than the single digit brigade to get out of it. That, and chipping (my goal - get in on the green, theirs - get it close) are the difference in our games.

I played in a 2 person best ball last month with a guy that's a 7 handicap. I had 8 pars and 1 birdie and basically carried the team to a 4th place net. Everyone thought I was sandbagging but I ended up shooting 93.

I am glad you got a chance to show how you really feel.

Now for the other side of the story. I play with this type all the time...they think they are better than they are but I see all their OB rights, OB lefts, snipe hooks and slices into every conceivable hazard, not to mention all the shots that were so eloquently stated above. These guys are always claiming that they are "14 hole golfers" and if they could just get rid of the "blow up holes" they would be scratch. They never get there and never will, their arrogance just gets in the way.

The sad news is everyone has bad holes and learning to manage your game is an integral part of the sport. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.