Year end musings

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a TGM forum there is presently a thread on ’heavy hit’. With Christmas on its way it sort of naturally led me leaning a bit towards religion viewing this thread. The Bible first was taken as is, then various interpretations/schisms, and subsequently science came along and clearly said no. As a consequence followed a period with plenty of confusion, many not knowing where to find a basket to put their eggs, with some deftly clinging to either extreme.

The latter attitude is exactly where this particular TGM forum is presently, led diligently by a 900 year old guru, who knows the yellow bible by heart and defends every scrap of idea in it as is, doggedly, tooth and nail. Yet there are now also those who are shaken up by the scientific arguments and try to marry there TGM beliefs with the cold reality of true science. There is even a false prophet, no_mind_golfer, in their midst, which has kept his cool so far, but will inevitably reveal his true character before long. :)

In contrast, Brian, by his own admission, has spent many, many hours during several years, studying diligently TGM, trying to muster and unravel the very complex and intricate web of HK’s ideas but finally quickly evolved beyond and has gone to a very pragmatic “whatever works” approach. That must have been somewhat of a painful process since there is definitely some strange attraction inherent in the TGM belief system, appearing to be the alpha and omega of golf.

So, since on this forum we are now all a bunch of very pragmatic fellows, I have a question for all the members, who are definitely more concerned with practical results than with dogmatic ideas and theories. Considering Fig1 - an extremely heavy mass directly behind the shaft - does it have a large, reasonable, small, or perhaps simply a negligible effect on the departure velocity of the ball, when compared to the departure velocity for the situation depicted in Fig2, without the heavy mass?

To make the situation as extreme as possible the shaft is not aligned sidewise, as occurs when hitting in a real golf swing during impact, but rather length wise. Hence all of the weight of our imaginary ‘heavy golfer’, weighing only 100000 kg, - equivalent to the weight of 2,174,000 golf balls :eek: - is directly bearing onto the ball, at impact.

I am sure that Brian with his magnanimous character might even consider putting some brand new golf balls under the Christmas tree for those coming up with a correct response. :D

vehicle_ball_impact_a.GIF

vehicle_ball_impact_bbb.GIF

Last edited:
i'l be first to say it.

i'd think the one wit the hevy mas would prouce more power. you need considerable mass behind a battering ram! :)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Musings...

There is NO DOUBT that the end in near for ANY FOLKS who don't subscribe to REAL SCIENCE in their Golf Instruction.

It might take a year, it might take ten, but, it WILL happen.

It doesn't help that The Golfing Machine has been promoted as THE "Physics and Geometry" Manual for the golf swing and has more holes in it then swiss cheese.

To Joe Daniels' credit, he has Dr. Aaron Zick as the science police at TGM Summits.

I heard that Dr. Robert Grober, another brilliant Physicist-Golf Researcher, is working on a big time multi-segment math model for the golf swing.

At the end of the day, the future may look back at goofy concepts and giggle.

As far as Mandrin's question?

I guess that the ball would go NEAR EXACTLY the same distance. :cool:

There is NO DOUBT that the end in near for ANY FOLKS who don't subscribe to REAL SCIENCE in their Golf Instruction.

It might take a year, it might take ten, but, it WILL happen.

It doesn't help that The Golfing Machine has been promoted as THE "Physics and Geometry" Manual for the golf swing and has more holes in it then swiss cheese.

To Joe Daniels' credit, he has Dr. Aaron Zick as the science police at TGM Summits.

I heard that Dr. Robert Grober, another brilliant Physicist-Golf Researcher, is working on a big time multi-segment math model for the golf swing.

At the end of the day, the future may look back at goofy concepts and giggle.

As far as Mandrin's question?

I guess that the ball would go NEAR EXACTLY the same distance.
:cool:
Brian,

If eventually it just so happens that it is you having come up with the correct answer, who is putting the golf balls under your Christmas tree? :D

i'l be first to say it.

i'd think the one wit the hevy mas would prouce more power. you need considerable mass behind a battering ram! :)
pecky,

Kudos for being the first one courageously stepping forward, the question however is not about power but about departure velocity of the golf ball. Give it another try just to show all those many carefully remaining seated on the fence that it really does not hurt to participate for a change by simply answering the question. :D

There will be no change in velocity from one to the next. I thought we already went over this topic in another post in the past?

spider

New
Like many I am sure on this board....I hesitate to answer. Obviously for fear of feeling...well... stupid! But, here goes none the less.

My first inclination was to say each of the balls would depart at the same velocity no matter the weight behind the strike.

However, I am going to GUESS that the larger mass will not absorb (possible wrong term used) as much of the strike against the ball or absorb more efficiently the strike. Thus imparting more energy or transfer of it to the ball and a greater initial velocity.

Just a guess. :)

There will be no change in velocity from one to the next. I thought we already went over this topic in another post in the past?
libro,

Are you really sure? :confused:

In a down swing the shaft is virtually at an angle of 90 degrees with the trajectory of the club head at impact. From this position, taking into consideration simply the shaft to be flexible, it is difficult to imagine that a golfer can get much of his weight ‘into the shot’. The discussions about heavy hit is always with regard to this situation.

I have taken the situation however to an extreme not at all occurring in golf, aligning the shaft in line at impact hence eliminating the flex of the shaft. The shaft does not buckle and in our experiment ALL of the weight of the mass is aligned directly along the line of action. This is to match the argument often found on forums when one invokes a boxer getting his weight behind the punch

We have the ‘scientific reference’ - TGM - which clearly invokes the heavy hit, matched by the intuition of many generations of golfers who really believed in the concept of heavy hit. For instance, the late Wendy Blake, a well established engineer and war hero, published two books with the concept of heavy hit as the central theme.

Are you still really sure? :D

Like many I am sure on this board....I hesitate to answer. Obviously for fear of feeling...well... stupid! But, here goes none the less.

My first inclination was to say each of the balls would depart at the same velocity no matter the weight behind the strike.

However, I am going to GUESS that the larger mass will not absorb (possible wrong term used) as much of the strike against the ball or absorb more efficiently the strike. Thus imparting more energy or transfer of it to the ball and a greater initial velocity.

Just a guess. :)
I sympathize with your feelings as I have written on the subject before quite a bit and been rather vocal about the heavy hit not to be a reality. Hence asking about it seems that I am really kind of tricking people. :p

But in this case the situation a depicted is not that representing a golf swing. The huge mass is directly behind the mass representing the club head and our intuition strongly suggests that it must have some effect.

Is our intuition right on wrong? :confused: :confused: :confused:

You are the only one, for the moment, feeling that there is an increase in departure velocity with the heavy mass present. :cool:

Zero, no difference.
cmartingolf

Your answer would be valid in the world of mathematics. In a real life situation one can’t have zero influence.

Hence why not graduate your answer, making it more along the line of somewhat, very little, negligible, etc..

Since this example does not represent a real golf swing or the so-called "heavy hit" I will say that the heavier mass object will give the golf ball a higher velocity. On second thought I take that back and say there will be no change in velocity between the two examples. I got a feeling that there is some sort of trick question type stuff going on in this thread!

The 'heavy golfer' model will have a 'large' difference in the result since Mandrin's 'direct link' setup greatly differentiates the masses involved. "How bout them apples?":)

I think they'd be the same, assuming identical properties of the club and shaft. If you threw the golf ball at 160mph at a wall, would the rebound speed be different if one building weighed twice as much as another? I don't think so...

Just my reasoning...not scientific at all.

I am willing to step up and embarras my self. The "heavy" hit as illustrated will apply 2.5 million time the "force" to the ball 1,280,000,256 kg/kph as opposed to 512 kg/kph However, there is a limit as to how much of this energy can translate to ball speed. As the "smash factor" seems to maximize at about 50% for any given clubhead speed, I would say that even with the significantly great force from the "heavy" hit, change in ball speed would be insignificant.

Bruce

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
My guess is similar to brian's that there will be a difference; however as we say in my line of work it is statistically insignificant the change is so minute.

Since this example does not represent a real golf swing or the so-called "heavy hit" I will say that the heavier mass object will give the golf ball a higher velocity. On second thought I take that back and say there will be no change in velocity between the two examples. I got a feeling that there is some sort of trick question type stuff going on in this thread!
libro,

Trick question. :eek:

Just think about it. In a hypothetical context where people had never heard of mandrin and his ideas about ‘heavy hit’ in golf, and this question was posed, I am very certain that 100 % would answer that it definitely should have an effect and possibly quite a large one. ;)

I'll say there would be a small difference in velocity. If I recall correctly, Cochran and Stubbs (1968?) suggested about one metre more distance on a drive hit with a very heavy club.

Status
Not open for further replies.