Year end musings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Bad Info, Bad Scouting Reports.

Seems you are upset ..why? cant you compress the ball properly?

Upset? :D

You don't know me very well.

You see, I am in the HEALING business. And in the BUILDING business.

If I can't fix broken golf swings, I build new ones, I write about it, produce videos about it, and educate golfers and teachers about what works.

The "holes" in The Golfing Machine are a celebration for ANY teacher or player looking for the answers.

Homer Kelley helped me a bunch, Ben Doyle helped me more.

But I have helped myself the most by constantly digging for BETTER answers.

I guess you have to be a pretty darn good teacher to figure out that your "perfectly on plane, heavy hitters" are getting beat by people not mashing the ball nearly as well, and there must be a reason.

Well, finding out there is NO HEAVY HIT, finding out that not knowing the D-Plane will kill you as an instructor, and knowing that NOBODY ACTUALLY "horizontal hinges," has all been very helpful.

In the process of figuring all of it out, coming up with a much more accurate model/description of what Homer Kelley was trying to explain with hitting / swinging and power accumulators has been liberating as well.

My students improve faster than ever, my lessons and stroke pattern "prescriptions" are more customized and sounder, and I get to laugh at and pity those who can't and won't keep pace—like you.

I feel sorry for you golfspike, you are just one more guy that got a couple of bad scouting reports.

Next.

sorry, I'm not quite at your level yet. I guess between fig 1 and fig 2?
I dearly want to help. :) But can I ask you to just use a few more words to spell it out want you want to know.

If in Fig 2 we assume that only m2 has a velocity of 160 km/h, it does not make any difference whatsoever.

Just think of the temporal dimension - two very different time scales, one for the motion of the 'club', and another for impact.

Interesting to try to from an image of people from their posts. For example let’s look at golfspike, hcw and Brian.

golfspike & hcw - immediately I think of a sniper - making short ill construed malicious underhand remarks or attacks.

Brian - with vigor and humor he plays all his cards openly, exposing himself, a sign of confidence, he does not hide anything away.

A forum is indeed a very interesting mini society and someone could make a very interesting study by just following for a while any forum having animated exchanges. ;)

A forum is indeed a very interesting mini society and someone could make a very interesting study by just following for a while any forum having animated exchanges. ;)

I for one, am intrigued by the "internet forum" it brings out the same characteristics in people as driving a car. Your hidden, no one knows who you really are (for those who are under a user name and never openly address who they really are, myself included... aka those who are not Brian Manzella, Jim Kobylinski ext.) So its easy, just like in a car, to do things in anger you would never do face to face. Its internet highway road rage at its best...:cool:

hcw

New
Bang You're Dead

golfspike & hcw - immediately I think of a sniper - making short ill construed malicious underhand remarks or attacks....

short: true (and to the point)
ill construed: i think we'll have to "agree to disagree" on this one
malicious: naw, just trying to help folks see the forest for the trees
underhand: i tend to throw overhand

hcw

New
see above post...

Thanks for confirming by your post my description of you being a perfect sniper - making short ill construed malicious underhand remarks or attacks.

#106...ya know, you really do take yourself WAY too seriously!:)

hcw, grow up, my boy, don't behave so silly. Christmas is near, you have my blessings.
May you not see any sorrow
May your heart be full of joy
I wish you Christmas Blessings
Not just for the holiday but through all year evermore

hcw

New
Pot...

hcw, grow up, my boy, don't behave so silly. Christmas is near, you have my blessings.
May you not see any sorrow
May your heart be full of joy
I wish you Christmas Blessings
Not just for the holiday but through all year evermore

...and kettle...Joyeux Noel to you too Mandy...

those with very fast clubhead speeds will have a longer impact interval and hence greater chance that the impact interval time will be greater than the propagation time, which means the mass will make a difference.

To get back on topic, I think you may be thinking impact distance would be increased - the distance the head moves while the ball is in contact with the face. The actual time duration would be less with a faster swing - see here.

But even still, let's say the propagation delay was somehow reduced to .0003 seconds vs an impact duration of .0004 sec. Would the weight of the golfer in Fig 1 of the original post come into play? I'm not so sure, since the ball has probably already reached maximum compression and is in the process of rebounding off the face.

This is kind of academic since the flex of the shaft plays a large role in the decoupling of the head in a normal swing at impact. This propagation delay effect is just another factor to provide an argument that the "heavy hit" is not real from a physics standpoint.

Mandrin, help me here...

So, considering that clubhead speed is equal for both machines, a giant Iron Byron will not create more force than a standard Iron Byron? :confused: :D

This scenario is different. Here we are varying the mass of the clubhead. Doesn't Big Byron's more massive clubhead create more force than Normal Byron's less massive clubhead if they are both traveling at the same swing speed?

This scenario is different. Here we are varying the mass of the clubhead. Doesn't Big Byron's more massive clubhead create more force than Normal Byron's less massive clubhead if they are both traveling at the same swing speed?

If biffers meant a bigger clubhead as well, that's my b with the response. If the clubhead is more massive, traveling at the same speed, then the ball speed will be higher. My interpretation was that just the machine was larger, but the club the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.