Shanking—the STONE TRUTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the sweetspot really that close to the hosel, as it is in the picture?

It took me awhile to soak that in,but yes it is.....That's why they say a shank is the closest thing to a perfect shot, but until it's fixed,it's the ugliest.

It took me awhile to soak that in,but yes it is.....That's why they say a shank is the closest thing to a perfect shot, but until it's fixed,it's the ugliest.

of course!!!
now i understand!!! i always thought that was the most stupid saying ever, but now it makes sense. you're doing everything right, just for the wrong bit of the club!

hows the video coming brian?

I now think Brian is on to something. I think my mind was creating a phantom sweetspot in the hosel-- like how amputees still feel pain in their legs-- anyway, today instead of changing my MECHANICS, I just decided to convince myself where the sweetspot is.. Then my body sensed the bad mechanic's and adjusted to fit the ball in.....

SOLD!

I now think Brian is on to something. I think my mind was creating a phantom sweetspot in the hosel-- like how amputees still feel pain in their legs-- anyway, today instead of changing my MECHANICS, I just decided to convince myself where the sweetspot is.. Then my body sensed the bad mechanic's and adjusted to fit the ball in.....

SOLD!

the man knows what hes talking about!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

soooooorta....i don't believe that it is that far to the heel with new irons these days. A lot of iron manufacturers are moving weight around in the irons to push the sweetspot more towards the center, some examples are:

1) Titlest Z irons
2) Ping's toe weights

etc

Apparently folks don't know what a shank is...

Here are four contact points:

shankpic.gif

Now,

There is only ONE QUESTION on the table as of right now?

I gave a lesson today to a lady, who is on here third lesson and has not made

She hits the ball all over the hosel, but NEVER shanks?​

Well I'm glad I saw this picture. I always thought the sweetspot was is the exact middle of the club. My swing is currently the best ever and my ball marks are all where the real sweetspot is. I thought I needed to get my lie's adjusted or something. Holy crap, this just made my day!

It can't be that close to the heel.................Brian??????

If so I have been mis-hitting my irons for some time now...

(egad!!)

Today...

I had my toughest ever shanking lesson today, took almost 45 minutes to get her through it. And this was only on 40 yard pitch shots...

Is it more than an assumption that the top TOUR players have all their wear marks right over the sweetspot (ie. centre of percussion)? Or do some of them wear the clubface out in the dead middle of their irons (assuming that their is a difference between the two, as in Brian's pic)?

EDIT: Is this a better topic for a new thread?

Last edited:
Hot Chilli,

You have a nice action; this is what a think is happening

Your backswing gets below plane and the sweet spot is way open to the plane at the top. You could say that you are lagging the hosel in this position because #3 PP is under the sweet spot but the sweet spot is open to the plane. However "lagging the hosel" poeple explain the following;
During startdown he rotates the sweetspot BACK to the plane and even moves off the plane towards the target. This is your Twistaway idea is it not!! He is also no where near below plane during the downswing, look how much steeper the downswing is and how much the clubhead is outside his hands during release interval.

I think Mr Hot Chilli that you use to slice the ball and you throw that clubhead out to the ball to square up the face. This throw out motion, which is not true throw out motion because it not rotation (pulling) doing it but moving your hands with your hands - See 4-B in TGM. The wrist motion - cock and uncocking motion of your left wrist must be perpendicular to the plane. You are disrupting this motion and the uncocking motion of the left wrist BECAUSE you are rolling the wrist first causing the cocking motion to be more vertical during release interval - Simply in an attempt to square up that clubface you are rolling and uncocking - instead of uncock and rolling ; the true release sequence of accumulators #2 and #3.

Why did the "under the stick" drill work best because you reversed your release sequence keeping the clubhead orbit circular.

Now this analysis might not be 100% correct but I have attempted to explain what you are doing from start to finish and have not just typed in lagging the hosel or take your right thumb off. Brian and everybody, here is your chance to explain in depth what is happening in this case and enlighten everybody!!!
My question is how can he be lagging the hosel when he rotates the sweetspot back on the plane or even off it.

Twitch

Thank you for your relpy,

You are right about the left wrist action, I throw the clubhead outside with my hands because I roll the wrist - accumulator #3 Before or during the uncocking motion of the left wrist accumulator #2.

And again maybe there are more reasons for this Hosel-ball Impact, I really tried too sense the clubhead tracing the plane to get the sweet spot to the ball before impact.
once you know the cause, or you feel the clubhead during your swing it really doesn't matter what happens as long as you trace that straight plane line, like Brian said the ball doesn't have a clue...

This quote from dsmith2296 is the same motion but his doing this with the right hand/Wrist:
"The recent eureka moment for me was yesterday's lesson wherein I discovered I was rolling my right arm over my left BEFORE impact whilst losing all tilt and moving my head laterally toward the target. If you mimic that condition, you will see that the clubhead will be well BEYOND the ball at impact- assuming a normal address. But now I concentrate on leaving daylight between my forearms prior to impact with my left forearm on top whilst maintaining axis tilt and keeping my head stationary."

Will someone just provide some easy ideas or things to practice to stop shanking when it is happening? Maybe a top five list of things to check or think about.

Thanks!

Chris Sturgess

Hotchili was doing a little over the top move that was getting his hosel outside where it should be. It was arm dominated and his weight was towards his toes.

That was great dialogue in the video by the way:

(shank)
Hotchili: whoa....
other guy: what was that man, what hacker did that?
Hotchili: I'm trying new stuff...
other guy: yeah, well, like, try it in that direction.

You guys are fun.

Chris Sturgess

Will someone just provide some easy ideas or things to practice to stop shanking when it is happening? Maybe a top five list of things to check or think about.

Thanks!

Put your weight on your heels at address and keep your weight on or at least very near your heels during the entire swing. That right there makes shanking very tough.

Put a tee in the ground just outside the toe of your club and make some practice swings where you make a divot inside the tee, if the toe of your club hits the tee you probably would have shanked it. Doing a couple of those will get you back under control.

And I agree with Brian that thinking about lagging the sweetspot and making sure you aren't thinking about lagging the hosel is a great idea. (that doesn't mean you can't shank a ball with a square clubface while lagging the sweetspot though) but still a good idea.

How would you shank it in that scenario? (Square clubface lagging sweetspot)

if you are lagging the sweetspot you cant shank it. as soon as you start to use the feel of the of the hosel FOR the feel of the sweetspot then your are heading for hosel-rocket area.

but you can shank with a square clubface.

square clubface does not equal lagging sweetspot

ps: chris have you been paying attention!!

Status
Not open for further replies.