Tiger Woods at the Match Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it may be clicking on the driving range, but has anyone seen Tiger start a ball on line yet? I'm not sure he could start a ball left of his target without aiming at Phoenix.

The six iron he hit on the par three that ended up 50 yards into the pond was one of the worst shots I've ever seen him hit. I'll bet he doesn't hit many of those on the range.

Although I make it a point never to feel sorry for a billionaire, I'm starting to feel some sympathy.

Just an observation.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Its the wind and situational golf. Instincts take over. He's fighting a lifetime and a million shots with a certain feel. Now he just cant pull the trigger when its not a stock range shot. Who's gonna help him find the genius he had at shotmaking? Foley? He cant hit the shots himself (through no fault of his own). This "position" golf he's into now is extraordinary. I cant believe what im seeing out there. Its even bleeding into his short game. At least Seve never lost that feel in the little shots.

I cant believe what im seeing out there.

How about the tee shot on the 19th hole? I know it's easy to criticize from the safety of my living room, but he had a fairly generous landing area and he totally whiffed. I have limited competitive golf experience, but I know that even if the swing is totally busted you cannot afford to hit stupid shots.

I think his biggest problem is the expectation that every shot will be hit perfectly. He acts like a petulant child after very acceptable misses, as if he's way above mishitting the ball.

If there is a solution, I think it's for him to play more tournaments, accept the bad shots, and figure out a way to steer the ball around the course. It's butt-ugly, but it's necessary. At some point, he'll realize that his "left" move on the downswing is way too late and he'll be a force again.

Although I am in agreement with everyone here that Tiger has pretty much lost his shotmaking ability for possition golf I have to say that I saw that fire in him again a few times. Especially on the putt on 18 when he had to sink that 12 footer or so for birdie to extend the match.

That shot that he hit into the pond on the par three way to the right was interesting. Not sure which announcer it was but on the replay he say "at least his divot was flying straight at the target". And you wonder why the ball went to the right. Not sure if anyone saw it on Sunday but on one hole Freddy hit it in the left rough. His divot his some poor kid to the left of him square in the face. Had to rewind it a couple of times for a good laugh.

I thought he was vintage Tiger on his 2nd attempt at extraction (his 3rd shot) on the 19th hole. Tiger makes double-bogey to lose in sudden-death??!!! I can hardly believe I even typed that!

I'd like to know why a guy like Tiger is unable to bring his "range swing" to the course after 6 months. Let's face it...it's not like he's a 9-to-5'er hitting balls a couple times a week and trying to squeeze a round in on the weekend. I don't claim to understand the mental aspect of it totally, but for a guy who doesn't need the money, is it simply ego that won't let him "let go"?

Cookie had it right though... something "clicked" for him a few weeks ago.

Not.

This "inward hand path" business that Foley has sold him on, which by the way, was taken directly from Plummer & Bennett, is a waste of time. It looks so contrived, and the theory exposes a lack of understanding of the geometry and mechanics of the stroke. Tiger's getting bad information. And he's been buying it. But for how long?

Tiger's getting bad information. And he's been buying it. But for how long?

If I were to base it on his simple 2-word response to the first question posed to him directly after the match.... "I'M PISSED!" my guess is he's not long for his current direction. Despite the interviewers attempts to pump him up with "we saw some good shots from you, etc" there wasn't a hint of "yeah... it just takes time, I'm on the right path, it just takes time, swing changes aren't easy, it just takes time" blah blah blah.

Why he isn't playing a fuller schedule to work thru the changes in tournament conditions is baffling, and I bet we don't see him again until Augusta. Imo he's no longer in a position to base his schedule around the majors. He's simply not that good right now. (Not that he cares much about my opinion) :)

Last edited:
Its the wind and situational golf. Instincts take over. He's fighting a lifetime and a million shots with a certain feel. Now he just cant pull the trigger when its not a stock range shot. Who's gonna help him find the genius he had at shotmaking? Foley? He cant hit the shots himself (through no fault of his own). This "position" golf he's into now is extraordinary. I cant believe what im seeing out there. Its even bleeding into his short game. At least Seve never lost that feel in the little shots.

Seve would have played a lot longer if he had a TrackMan!

If I were to base it on his simple 2-word response to the first question posed to him directly after the match.... "I'M PISSED!" my guess is he's not long for his current direction. Despite the interviewers attempts to pump him up with "we saw some good shots from you, etc" there wasn't a hint of "yeah... it just takes time, I'm on the right path, it just takes time, swing changes aren't easy, it just takes time" blah blah blah.

Why he isn't playing a fuller schedule to work thru the changes in tournament conditions is baffling, and I bet we don't see him again until Augusta. Imo he's no longer in a position to base his schedule around the majors. He's simply not that good right now. (Not that he cares much about my opinion) :)

Agreed. He should play all he can. If I was him, I'd be on his jet and putting the peg in the ground at the Mayakoba tomorrow!

I agree with you Martin, Tiger should play more events to help get the new swing tempered in the heat of competition. But if Tiger wouldn't play at Pebble Beach or go to Hogans Alley I doubt he would be inclined to play in what I am sure he thinks is a second tier tour event. Unfortunatly it seems his ego and not common sense is making decisions. It is one thing to pick and choose events when you are the best in the world, but when your game is in the wilderness that may not be the wisest course.

Can anyone else picture Professor Foley standing behind Tiger on the range, smugly watching shot after shot sail through the air with perfection thinking...

"I am the smartest man in the world."

Welcome to Hank Haney's world.

It has to be devastating when you have been the best and it starts to go. I agree with the remedies suggested here.

I remember reading about his first time as a professional at a tour event. Warming up on the range he was astounded at the quality of ball striking on display and wondered out loud if he had what it took to be there. He needs to get back that kind of humility and admit that a serious rebuild of attitude and swing is essential. Question is does he have the character to admit this?

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.