Clubpaths, and Hogan vs. Tiger 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

Tiger, as most accomplished players have a tendency to do, errs in swinging to far to the right, period. One of the reasons why Hogan is so esteemed is his ability to swing left which, as is well known, helped him battle a hook.

Yes. A machine would produce a slight hook because the axis of rotation is inside the tool. Simple physics. Hogan's answer to O'Meara (described in Haney's book may be an eye-opener for some).
No. Hogan is not esteemed as hook-tamer. He was much more than that and comparing Woods to him is indigestible. Woods is an amateur comparing to Hogan full-motion-wise.

Cheers

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I would respectfully disagree that Hogan swung the club better than 2000 Tiger woods. I think he wouldve made Hogan look like the amateur. Not arguing or stirring, its just my opinion.

Dariusz J.

I would respectfully disagree that Hogan swung the club better than 2000 Tiger woods. I think he wouldve made Hogan look like the amateur. Not arguing or stirring, its just my opinion.

Bold but silly, I am afraid - respectfully also. Do you want to compare 2000 Woods to 1949-53 Hogan ? In what ? rescue shots or putts - the only ones Woods can be better. Add equipment and courses differences and the comparison becomes ridiculous.

Cheers

P.S. And you tried to portrait yourself as a Hogan fan ROFL, Kevin. None, NOONE of Hogan's true fans would like to see Ben be compared to Jones or Nicklaus (ballstriking wise) but Woods ? Ridiculous.

Dariusz J.

Can you explain swinging from out to out?

The clock. The swing is in-to-in when the axis of rotation is in the middle and the clubhead goes from 3 through 12 to 9 (ball is at 12). The hypothetical scenario of out-to-out is when the axis of rotation is still in the middle but the clubhead movement is from 3 through 6 to 9 (ball is at 6).

Cheers

footwedge

The clock. The swing is in-to-in when the axis of rotation is in the middle and the clubhead goes from 3 through 12 to 9 (ball is at 12). The hypothetical scenario of out-to-out is when the axis of rotation is still in the middle but the clubhead movement is from 3 through 6 to 9 (ball is at 6).

Cheers

I don't follow , which way is the golfer facing?

lia41985

Yes. A machine would produce a slight hook because the axis of rotation is inside the tool. Simple physics. Hogan's answer to O'Meara (described in Haney's book may be an eye-opener for some).
Dariusz: If the machine is oriented parallel to the target line and produces a zeroed out face with a zeroed out true path via a zeroed out swing direction and zeroed out angle of attack then you'd get a straight ball, not a slight hook. I think you're assuming that the ball would be hit by the machine with a non-zero angle of attack. And yes, I remember reading that Haney quote. Here it is:
Hogan, by the way, is perceived as hitting a fade whenever he could. That might be true, but I believe his natural ball flight was a slight draw. Mark O'Meara told me that when he met with Mr. Hogan, he asked him what the correct flight on a shot should be. Hogan told him that the ideal ball flight was a draw from right to left. His explanation was that because the golf club swings on an arc that goes from inside in the backswing to straight at impact and back to the inside in the through-swing, the correct shot would be a slight draw. So while a lot of people saw Hogan play fades, they were manufactured and ran contrary to the shape of his swing.

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/myshot_gd0505#ixzz1XhBljUAD
I couldn't care less what Haney (or for that matter Hogan) thinks ideal means. What Haney means and should have said is that assuming what he assumes that would be the result. Ok. Assuming I can swing the club on parallel planes I can hit the ball great. Assuming...

Last edited:

dbl

New
I'm not sure there is a fair way of comparing two golfers with vastly different builds and swings. But...Hogan gets the nod for doing more with less, though, right?

Yawn

I have read too many of these dessicated discussions on what Hogan did vs Tiger vs every other top player. In my view it contributes nothing to understanding my golf swing. Lia et al can you let us know when you launch into one of these theological spirals so I can safely ignore the thread.

Drew

ej20

New
Dariusz,when you come up with stuff like early elbow plane,coming OTT from the inside and swinging out to out,were you under the influence of Polish vodka?Come one,fess up.

Is that stuff macro or micro?

footwedge

Dariusz,when you come up with stuff like early elbow plane,coming OTT from the inside and swinging out to out,were you under the influence of Polish vodka?Come one,fess up.

Is that stuff macro or micro?

Help me understand swinging out to out , I just can't grasp it and I have lots of clocks to use as a reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.