Calvin Peete Analysis (now w/ a page 18 blog post by Brian Manzella)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/34926568?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="700" height="499" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

fadegolfer

Great video Brian, thanks for doing that. One of the my favorite swings, he had unbelievable control over the ball. Everyday i work on making my downswing closer to what he was doing. Yes JimmyT thats Hall sutton.

Thanks Brian, that was very interesting. It really hit home with me because I had a lot of those same motions in my swing when I went to see Ben Doyle 20 years ago, eg. early drive of the right knee during the downswing, very little trigger delay (ie. a sweep-type swing), etc. You can probably guess what Ben thought of those moves. Thanks for taking the time to post this 'classic' swing and comment on it.

fadegolfer

He won 11 times from 82-86, and once in 79. I think only Kite and Watson won more in the 1980s. Also led in both GIR and Fairways hit in 81,82,83 im not sure thats ever been done before. I think that move into impact at about 12:06 in the video is as good as it gets. Brian you mentioned he's the best youve seen at controlling the ball, youve obviously watched Toms alot, how would you compare his ballstriking to Peete, he was 6th in both GIR and fairways last year so he's obviously one of the best ballstrikers today, would you say that Toms or any of the other players youve seen from today are close in terms of controlling the ball to what you saw from Peete?

Last edited:
Reminds of the little story you told at our lesson last summer about Michael Finney hitting balls before a tournament next to, I think, Hal Sutton. Michael was hitting down on the ball hitting low lasers and Sutton(I think that's who you said) was hitting high balls falling out the sky like marshmallows. Michael said there's no way he could hold some of the greens and seeing Sutton's ball flight, he knew he was in trouble.

Brian....interesting ..... a couple of questions/observations

1. Let's say you were gonna put this swing into your "matrix" thingie....what adjustments if any would you make to make it more "efficient"?
2. Not a power swing but what would you do to ramp up the "power"? More jumping/elevating the c.p.?
3. I see some similarity to Stricker's swing here too....the backswing pivot lines look a lot like Venturi too.....
4. What if this swing had less "arm travel" at the top...and we had a club that was more "on plane" to "laid off" looking than the across the line with more arm travel...what would be the implications? Destruction? Workable?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
1. Let's say you were gonna put this swing into your "matrix" thingie....what adjustments if any would you make to make it more "efficient"?

If this golfer (Peete in his prime) came to see me now (in my teaching prime), all I would do is help him maintain it.

2. Not a power swing but what would you do to ramp up the "power"? More jumping/elevating the c.p.?

No.

3. I see some similarity to Stricker's swing here too....the backswing pivot lines look a lot like Venturi too.....

Good observations.

4. What if this swing had less "arm travel" at the top...and we had a club that was more "on plane" to "laid off" looking than the across the line with more arm travel...what would be the implications? Destruction? Workable?

You would ruin him.

This is it.

I would NEVER call this swing a perfect example of the Nesbit hub path study. It has lots of elements, but not a big hub path shrinker. Per se.

Dariusz J.

What strucks me (not surprising though if he was such a consistent ballstriker) -- DTL, 12:10, very good kinetic relation between humerus and main body kept until impact, without too early throw of the rear elbow; a lot of similarities with Furyk's motion as well as with almost all common denominators with other great and most consistent ballstrikers.

Cheers

Brian Manzella

Administrator
WHY I POSTED THIS SWING AND ANALYSIS:

1. Most face/path control, i.e. STRAIGHTEST golfer I ever saw play and he DID NOT:

2. Low rate of face rotation to the ball.

3. Any significant amount of so-called "LAG."

4. No real jump OR parametric acceleration.

5. Lots of shifting and head movement.

6. So-called unstable legs.

7. Swung left with the best of them.

He could FLAT play.

I love it when an instructor says "I would not change a thing" I really do. I worked with Rick Smith a few times in the 90's and growing up with Furyk I asked Rick what he would change about Furyks swing. He said "nothing" why make 12 changes to get him to hit the ball the same way he does now? Love that answer Brian.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Behold—it is NOWHERE NEAR "up his left arm"...

linedrawBS.jpg

WHY I POSTED THIS SWING AND ANALYSIS:

1. Most face/path control, i.e. STRAIGHTEST golfer I ever saw play and he DID NOT:

2. Low rate of face rotation to the ball.

3. Any significant amount of so-called "LAG."

4. No real jump OR parametric acceleration.

5. Lots of shifting and head movement.

6. So-called unstable legs.

7. Swung left with the best of them.

He could FLAT play.

So what elements are keepers and which ones do you throw back in the creek? Or does it depend on other component arrangements? Or are there principles that translate broadly?

Last edited:

ej20

New
I don't think Peete could get forward shaft lean with a "flippy" release without his knees going down the fairway a country mile.Rather than just getting the hands more forward,he got the whole body forward to compensate.

That's the great thing about golf.There's so many ways to get it done.Just gotta find your way.

After a real first time look at his swing in slo mo....

Is it possible Cal's jump was with his right side?? and his "knee motion made this possible?

Just thinking out loud here.

Can anyone think of any tour player who ARCHED the left wrist at the transition who wasn't one of the best ball-strikers?
Cal, Trevino, Watson, Lehman, Claude Harmon, Joe Durant,....we could go on and on.
And likewise, I bet if we look at the guys at the bottom of the ball-striking stats, we won't find the bow nearly as often.

Status
Not open for further replies.