US Open at Olympic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this shows another flaw in the rankings?

Not sure I understand where you're going with that, but surely at some point we all need to accept that SOME players will have their reasons why they PREFER to play MOST of their golf on the European Tour. But is there any reason to suspect that anyone has chosen to play on the Nationwide rather than the PGA Tour?

Maybe this shows another flaw in the rankings?

Perhaps, though in this case, I'd argue it's highly unlikely. Even if you were to take the extreme position that only, say, 15 of the top 100 players in the world are on the Euro Tour, certainly the other 85 - or darn close, leaving out a few outliers - would come from the PGA Tour, not the Nationwide Tour.

Could the 11-100 players on the Nationwide Tour be better than their 11-100 counterparts on the Euro Tour? Possibly, but I strongly doubt it, and that's not even what the other gent was referencing when commenting on the "weak" field Westwood played against in Sweden.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I do not buy that the Nationwide is better than the Euro Tour any way you want to frame it. Nationwide is minor league. Most of those guys on the Nationwide should get a Euro card if they think they are good enough. More money and sponsorship opportunities right out of the gate versus playing what amounts to a glorified mini tour. Peter Uehlein was smart in trying to bypass the Nationwide.

Dariusz J.

While it is more than clear European players are better for last couple of years on the average I would agree that it is ridiculous that majorless golfers can be so high as #1 or #2. Especially, when they cannot play true golf in demanding conditions.

Cheers

Dariusz J.

Dari, how's the coverage for the US Openin Poland?

ROFL...no coverage at all, Mike. There was a Master's coverage ONLY ONCE in the history of Polish TV (of course payable). Idiots like me spent hours near my PC screen watching live coverages found on sport channels in the net.

Cheers

Enjoyment factor

Is anyone actually enjoying the US open?
I think they have over done it. I want to see them be aggressive and go for birdies instead they are happy when they've only got a 10footer for par.

Wasnt surprised to see Rory struggle. To me his game is pretty one dimensional and when something different is required such as Olympic in its current set up or our Open in the wind he finds it difficult. Hopefully that will change as he gets older.

Rory came pretty close to winning when it was windy and hard and fast at Whistling Straits.

Dariusz J.

I think they have over done it. I want to see them be aggressive and go for birdies instead they are happy when they've only got a 10footer for par.

Au contre. I'd enjoy it more when it is even more penal. As wise man Trevino once said: "If you don't set up a golf course like that, then a guy can hit it all over the place and still win the golf tournament. So, you didn't identify the best player that week."

I love to see incompetent pros struggle. Enough said.

I bet it's all about Euro 2012 in Poland TV now.

Nope. Golf is less than marginal sport here. It can change when there is at least one Polish player fighting for biggest awards in professional golf.

Cheers

While it is more than clear European players are better for last couple of years on the average I would agree that it is ridiculous that majorless golfers can be so high as #1 or #2. Especially, when they cannot play true golf in demanding conditions.

Cheers

I beg to differ. It's ridiculous to have 4 so-called "majors" that do such a poor job of being captured by the best players in the world.

natep

New

I think its great. The US Open is supposed to be an epic test of golf. I'm really stoked to be watching.

ZAP

New
As much as I love watching the US Open I would hate to have golf be like this each and every week.

Dariusz J.

McIllroy's, Donald's and Westwood's faces are worth every penny. Not mentioning some US players. These guys are good, huh ? ROFL.

Cheers

I have to say I like Chris Berman when he does football analysis, but for golf...meh not so much. It'd be cool if he just made noises. Definitely not feeling the Swami.

Did Andy North and Curtis Strange over dramatize that little chip shot Tiger had on #6? The ball was above his feet, but the lie was OK and he only had to hit it 12 feet. They acted like he was trying to hit it 200 yards over water.

Status
Not open for further replies.