Release description

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this idea of pulling the grip off etc etc is somewhat exaggerated. It's nowhere near as extreme as that. Oh, and I'm worried about you guys who are constantly referring to the testicles.

:)

I by no means know how my best golf swing works, yet. I hope to find it some time in the near future. I am also no where near as good a golfer as you and wish I could hit the ball like you do. I don't know if I was/am a handle dragger, it actually feels more like a handle pusher or force across the shaft with the right arm, but I had absolutely no lag doing it. With the pull the grip off, and yes the testicles thing, I actually have more lag and hit the ball better--albeit not as good as I want to, yet.

id on't want to jinx myself, but it doesn't get any better.

I shrunk all the release information into few simple thoughts.

week 1
I was hitting low draws, sometimes pull draws. (maybe it's because i switched to stronger grip, used to have weak neutral grip)

week 2
I went back to the video and I missed the part of "going normal". I start to hit even better, even with the chip shots and 75% swing.
My grip pressure used to be really really tense, now I feel like i'm barely holding on the the club.

week 3
I start to pull the ball again, so I work on swinging up more. The ball is going where I want it to go now, with high draw / high fade

week 4
Starting to draw a little bit too much with my normal shots. I try to clear the lower body just a little bit more, still a little bit on the pull side.

Week 5
I combined clearing the lower body and swinging a little bit higher than usual. The ball goes straight.

For now, I just think about clearing the lower body and swinging high.

I think that's the release for me.

thanks again.......i don't think i have ever consistently hit the ball well for 5 weeks.

This time i actually took the time to write down what worked and what doesn't work for me.
btw, I swing higher now, because I used to hit the ball down a lot even with the driver.
I almost feel like I'm swinging like Bubba watson, except 120 yards less

Last edited:
Todd, I don't understand. If I would pull the shoulder would that not then pull the hand specially while still be extended?

I'm simply saying that you can't pull your hand inward toward your core while also pushing the hand away from the core. Great ball-strikers continue pushing their hands away from their core past impact................just like in countless other sports.

I'm simply saying that you can't pull your hand inward toward your core while also pushing the hand away from the core. Great ball-strikers continue pushing their hands away from their core past impact................just like in countless other sports.

What if you have two hands?

One thing that has helped me from Brian's release video/coupling point thread is to stop thinking of the hands as a package. It's helped me after 30 years of thinking they need to be as unified as possible.

So do you not believe the findings that have been shared here?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

Anything to back this up?

I don't know Todd. I have seen lots of big league baseball hitters pull the hands in on inside pitches and keep them in past impact. Baseball maven K Shields may be able to enlighten us.

natep

New
For the record, I don't teach "opinion", only proven fact. FACT: 100% of the top 100 players in the world do not release the shaft to vertical before the left shoulder for full-power swings. FACT: the same group keeps the trail arm extending past impact. In light of this fact, why do so many insist its a good idea to pull the hands inward at impact. Only in golf instruction can people become so confused to believe its possible to pull your hand inward while simultaneously extending it outward. To quote Jim McClean, "Don't tell me, show me". As in show me a TOP 100 player who violates the 2 facts that I have presented. Oh yeah, that's right, "video lies"...........that is................when it doesn't support your opinion.

just wow.

So, you're swinging a weight on the end of a stick that has a outward force that is close to or more than 100 lbs. depending on swing speed. If you're not pulling in toward you, how can you keep the club head from burying in the ground 2 feet before the ball or simply staying in one place and not falling over?

Just to be clear, is anybody seriously disputing that great ball-strikers keep the trail arm straightening past impact?

I don't know Todd. I have seen lots of big league baseball hitters pull the hands in on inside pitches and keep them in past impact. Baseball maven K Shields may be able to enlighten us.

Not in the Home Run Derby, they didn't. Of course, these pics were taken from video. And I think we all know what that means............................it didn't really happen.

Gonzo.jpg

Last edited:
Not in the Home Run Derby, they didn't. Of course, these pics were taken from video. And I think we all know what that means............................it didn't really happen.

Gonzo.jpg

Here's my view:

In the first picture, the hitter kept his hands in close to his body to get to that position. His hips and shoulders continued to turn to allow the hands to stay in and assist in the inward pull on the handle to accelerate the bat head. In the second picture he has "released" the bat head--more likely threw it hard-- and continued turning his upper body with the lead shoulder continuing to go back again assisting the inward pull on the bat handle. The hitter most probably does feel a pushing toward the pitcher or ball with the rear arm, but that doesn't mean he is not pulling hard along the handle with the lead side. If there was no normal force, he would fall off balance toward the pitcher, second or first baseman on the follow through, but he is clearly leaning back away from the pitcher resisting the pull of the bat.

The rear elbow is straightening through and past impact, it has to. But can still happen with an inward force of the hands.

Last edited:
Is this "release" all of you are writing about the straightening of the trail arm, the unhinging of the wrists, or both? Or is it something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.