10 question examination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian hasn't said it is a golf swing. He said "the most efficient swing possible"....

He has also stated it is a trick question....:)

No hips in that one...

Last edited:
well they both have different answers to 9....

VJ says increasing speed...Mandrin says continuous speed...

If this is the answer they got wrong then must be another option that not given.... i know that you like to talk about the hips being stationary at some time in swing ... is this the answer?? for maximum momentum transfer?

If clubhead speed is all that matters then hips would need to stop for max momemntum transfer.

But i think that hip motion through impact is required to keep the clubshaft on plane. On plane alignments are not considered in efficiency unless ball is struck...

i say think but it is more of a feel ... now have to see if it is real!

A question that still needs to be asked to public is :-

Should ball position be in relation to the left foot or the left shoulder and why??
Pop instruction can produce the right results for all the wrong reasons...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The ANSWERS!

1. If Iron Byron is set-up to hit a straight ball, what one thing you could change, would cause the ball to slice?

Open the face.

2. If the clubface stays "square to the path" where does the face need to be at impact for a straight shot?

Slightly Open.

3. Where on the golf ball would the club contact for a straight ball?

Slightly on the inside back of the ball, below the equator.

4. If the clubface squares up at or befor low point, which direction is the clubhead moving in at impact?

Downward, Outward and Forward.

5. When does the lie angle of the club have to be "flat to the ground" for the ball to fly straight?

At Separation.

6. If the golf club swings through the ball on the plane angle of the lie of the club, how long does the club swing "down the line"?

It never does. It is on the line at some point.

7. If the path (or plane line if you wish) is 4° to the right and the face of the club is 2° closed (pointing to the left), which direction does the ball start in?

~1.6° to the left.

8. All things being equal, shallowing the swing plane through impact will produce what result?

Less spin.

9. In the most efficient swing possible, would the hips continue to move at a continuous or increasing speed through impact?

No. The hips would come to a complete stop in the most efficent possible Kinetic Chain for power.

10. Why do shafts bend more forward on offset golf clubs?

The sweetspot is further back than with a non-offset club, so the sweetspot trying to get "in-line" would result in more forward bending of the shaft.

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
I disagree with number 5.

The club doesn't have to be 'flat to the ground' to hit a straight shot. You can compensate for the toe up or toe down by opening or closing the face of the club. Easier when the ball is on a tee. People do it all the time with their driver. Very few people have the correct lie angle for their driver.

But, I know what Brian meant. And, I just wanted to bust him before Leo did.

Don't agree with number 4..

Teed up ball with the driver, impact is after the lowest point so club isn't travelling downwards...

1. If Iron Byron is set-up to hit a straight ball, what one thing you could change, would cause the ball to slice?

Open the face.

2. If the clubface stays "square to the path" where does the face need to be at impact for a straight shot?

Slightly Open.

3. Where on the golf ball would the club contact for a straight ball?

Slightly on the inside back of the ball, below the equator.

4. If the clubface squares up at or befor low point, which direction is the clubhead moving in at impact?

Downward, Outward and Forward.

5. When does the lie angle of the club have to be "flat to the ground" for the ball to fly straight?

At Separation.

6. If the golf club swings through the ball on the plane angle of the lie of the club, how long does the club swing "down the line"?

It never does. It is on the line at some point.

7. If the path (or plane line if you wish) is 4° to the right and the face of the club is 2° closed (pointing to the left), which direction does the ball start in?

~1.6° to the left.

8. All things being equal, shallowing the swing plane through impact will produce what result?

Less spin.

9. In the most efficient swing possible, would the hips continue to move at a continuous or increasing speed through impact?

No. The hips would come to a complete stop in the most efficent possible Kinetic Chain for power.

10. Why do shafts bend more forward on offset golf clubs?

The sweetspot is further back than with a non-offset club, so the sweetspot trying to get "in-line" would result in more forward bending of the shaft.
From post 44...
1. Open face
2. Slightly open
3. Inside aft quadrant
4. Down and out
5. Separation
6. Only one moment, at low point
7. Left
8. Lower ballflight
9. Given only those two options, continuous (otherwise, slowing)[answer corrected to "no" in Post #48]
10. Center of gravity farther back

Close enough? Do I win?

Last edited:
I disagree with number 5.

The club doesn't have to be 'flat to the ground' to hit a straight shot. You can compensate for the toe up or toe down by opening or closing the face of the club. Easier when the ball is on a tee. People do it all the time with their driver. Very few people have the correct lie angle for their driver.

But, I know what Brian meant. And, I just wanted to bust him before Leo did.

I don't know about #5 Tom, but I just have to say you look totally HOT on that flying machine of yours.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

Teed up ball with the driver, impact is after the lowest point so club isn't travelling downwards...

Very few players on the tour actually "hit up" on the golf ball. What is making the launch monitor "say" that they are hitting up is that the clubshaft has bowed backward (<) causing the clubhead to "ascend" into the ball. However the hands are still AT or just before the left shoulder when this happens thus the force is still going downplane.

Now i'm not saying you can't hit up (after low point) with a driver. But you better be playing a fade cuz that ball is going waaaaaaaaaaaaay left otherwise.

Very few players on the tour actually "hit up" on the golf ball. What is making the launch monitor "say" that they are hitting up is that the clubshaft has bowed backward (<) causing the clubhead to "ascend" into the ball. However the hands are still AT or just before the left shoulder when this happens thus the force is still going downplane.

Now i'm not saying you can't hit up (after low point) with a driver. But you better be playing a fade cuz that ball is going waaaaaaaaaaaaay left otherwise.

Jim,
All due respect mate, but the question was about the clubhead, not the direction of force...:)

And if the pros are using 5-8* loft and are getting launch angles of 13-14* then something is going upwards somewhere....

BTW, if the shaft is bending backwards, the club would be delofting not adding loft..
Don't think I'd like to hit a 7* delofted driver...(big tunnel right in front of the ball I think... :))

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim,
All due respect mate, but the question was about the clubhead, not the direction of force...:)

And if the pros are using 5-8* loft and are getting launch angles of 13-14* then something is going upwards somewhere....

Very use players use lofts that low anymore and if they did get launch angles that high from an 8* driver it is because of 2 reasons:

1) Angled hinging
2) The shaft bowing causing the clubhead to ascend into the ball

Very use players use lofts that low anymore and if they did get launch angles that high from an 8* driver it is because of 2 reasons:

1) Angled hinging
2) The shaft bowing causing the clubhead to ascend into the ball

Average pro loft is about 9.2* now apparently...but they still get the ball away much steeper than that...

No 2) above is excactly what I was saying, clubhead cannot be going downwards and ascending at the same time....

I'll take the ten points for that one then thanks...:)

It depends where the ball is teed up ....

Ask yourself where is the lowest point of your swing (assuming flat left wrist at impact) irrespective of ball on turf or fairway....the lowest point of your swing will always be in the same position.

It should be level with your left shoulder.

Now where is the ball position ( on turf or tee) in relation to your left shoulder.... then state whether your hit down or up on your driver...

If your teed up ball is inside your left shoulder line at impact and you are truly hitting up then you don't have a flat left wrist at impact.

It depends where the ball is teed up ....

Ask yourself where is the lowest point of your swing (assuming flat left wrist at impact) irrespective of ball on turf or fairway....the lowest point of your swing will always be in the same position.

It should be level with your left shoulder.

Now where is the ball position ( on turf or tee) in relation to your left shoulder.... then state whether your hit down or up on your driver...

If your teed up ball is inside your left shoulder line at impact and you are truly hitting up then you don't have a flat left wrist at impact.

flammermaw-1.jpg

Hi Puttmad, some pictures worth 1000 words...but not this one!

Mike Austin ? right?

Pitch elbow position, snap release, his weird 3rd arm invention thing ....( can't remember what it is called but if there is a stationary point somewhere between shoulders/ upper thorax i think his arm thing is pointing towards it)

BUT

No ball, no view of clubhead path through bottom of arc...

where is the lowest point of his / your swing?

1. Open face
2. Slightly open
3. Inside aft quadrant
4. Down and out
5. Separation
6. Only one moment, at low point
7. Left
8. Lower ballflight [net result of less spin]
9. Given only those two options, continuous (otherwise, slowing)[answer corrected to "no" in Post #48]
10. Center of gravity farther back

Close enough? Do I win?

Hey ref, can we get a ruling on this?

Hi Puttmad, some pictures worth 1000 words...but not this one!

Mike Austin ? right?

Pitch elbow position, snap release, his weird 3rd arm invention thing ....( can't remember what it is called but if there is a stationary point somewhere between shoulders/ upper thorax i think his arm thing is pointing towards it)

BUT

No ball, no view of clubhead path through bottom of arc...

where is the lowest point of his / your swing?

Position of ball is marked by the line off the left heel in the pics..
Clubshaft is bending forwards which means it has passed its lowest point.
Also note the height of the hands in both pics. Hands are higher at impact..
If that is hitting down on the ball, I'll come to Oxfordshire and eat YOUR hat...:)

Lowest part of my swing is level with my left breast, not left shoulder, which is why I don't take 9" long divots when I have the ball in the center of my stance for short irons.

Let's have a vote on it..

Is Mike hitting down, flat, or up on the ball in this pic..

Entries in by 5.30 please....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.