10 question examination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a cop out gl...:) What's the ball go to do with it? The left heel line is clearly marked on the pic... So has the club bottomed out there (or before there) or not?....

I would hope it bottomed out afterward, that is what it looks like to me, but that is just my opinion.

???

How can it bottom out afterwards, when the clubhead is already starting to travel upwards?....the obvoius bend in the shaft is throwing the clubhead upwards...you can't see that?....

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck...:)

That's a cop out gl...:) What's the ball go to do with it? The left heel line is clearly marked on the pic... So has the club bottomed out there (or before there) or not?....

Why is the left heel an important landmark for ball poistion?

( don't misread that in an angry voice... i see this as fertile ground for discussion and truth ... sort of socratic style discussion rather than House of Commons bunfight!)

all you ever see is the left heel as a landmark for ball position and NEVER any discussion as to why...

It is at best an easily visible surrogate landmark for the player to get an idea of where his left shoulder ( or left breast for you women...:D ) ( remember gentle debate style voice when reading!)

Left shoulder and breast position vary greatly ( in relation to left heel)depending upon width of stance and weight distribution between the feet...
I take your point about his hand position... will think more... open mind...

Puttmad,

Try this link ( if not work then search with words - low point driver- and member name - Brain Manzella )

http://www.brianmanzella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4990&highlight=point+driver

Not read this in a long time but it is debate at least... see what you think

I think your photo has a good point to show...

discussion needs to be based around poistion of low point relative to swing centre rather than whether it is "optimal" to hit up on driver....

LOW point where is it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Here's a silly question for Brian and Tom, et al.

What is the clubhead path direction if you want to hit the inside aft quadrant of the ball?

If the first answer to this question is correct, I will stop busting you...for a week ;)

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
shouldn't the ball be right before low point.

I am just recalling from my confessions of a former flipper knowledge of where ball position should be.

The Austin picture is on the way up but doesn't signify low point, the premise of my post was that he had already passed the low point.

I don't understand the duck comment.

shouldn't the ball be right before low point.

I am just recalling from my confessions of a former flipper knowledge of where ball position should be.

The Austin picture is on the way up but doesn't signify low point, the premise of my post was that he had already passed the low point.

I don't understand the duck comment.

But where is low point...? Puttmad is using his left nipple...

new thread starting soon...

Lowpoint

???

How can it bottom out afterwards, when the clubhead is already starting to travel upwards?....the obvoius bend in the shaft is throwing the clubhead upwards...you can't see that?....

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck...:)

My post is not really meant to judge - nor do I have an agenda- nor do I have an strong opinion on this topic. That said- the fact that the lower end of the shaft is bending forward in relation to the grip end of the shaft- doesn't mean that the clubhead is moving up. For example, "half-way" down, or sometime during "release" you could have the same condition of shaft flex and still have the clubhead moving down and prior to low point. Just something to consider in the analysis. Likewise, there are a number of players that "raise" their hands during release- while the clubhead is still going down- so raising the hands doesn't necessarily mean that the clubhead is not still going down. That said, in this particular swing or any swing- the clubhead could certainly be moving up during impact- that is possible. It seems to me that your launch monitor findings for pros is an interesting one- however as noted above I would guess that havng a shaft condition that would add "loft"- and having a clubhead that is still moving down is one real possibility. So part of the analytic problem solving issue is to separate out effective clubface loft from clubhead direction- they are not necessarily tied together.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
My post is not really meant to judge - nor do I have an agenda- nor do I have an strong opinion on this topic. That said- the fact that the lower end of the shaft is bending forward in relation to the grip end of the shaft- doesn't mean that the clubhead is moving up. For example, "half-way" down, or sometime during "release" you could have the same condition of shaft flex and still have the clubhead moving down and prior to low point. Just something to consider in the analysis. Likewise, there are a number of players that "raise" their hands during release- while the clubhead is still going down- so raising the hands doesn't necessarily mean that the clubhead is not still going down. That said, in this particular swing or any swing- the clubhead could certainly be moving up during impact- that is possible. It seems to me that your launch monitor findings for pros is an interesting one- however as noted above I would guess that havng a shaft condition that would add "loft"- and having a clubhead that is still moving down is one real possibility. So part of the analytic problem solving issue is to separate out effective clubface loft from clubhead direction- they are not necessarily tied together.

Great Post Mike!

And BTW, Mike, I'd really like some help on my "Historical Homer" project.

When you worked for "Swing's the Thing" school, they were an "official" TGM golf school or something like that. Can you tell me about it?

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
Here's a silly question for Brian and Tom, et al.

What is the clubhead path direction if you want to hit the inside aft quadrant of the ball?

If the first answer to this question is correct, I will stop busting you...for a week ;)

What does the clubface look like?

If it's open, you could come from all sorts of different places and hit the inside aft relative to the target line.

If it's closed...you might have a tough time.

If you won, you won. Did you win?

If you won, you won a video.

If you won and won a video, which video would you like to have won?

Did I win? Did I win? Then I'd take Never Slice Again.

I would watch it on a plane. I would watch it on a train. I would watch it in a tree. But I'd prefer DVD. Would it cost me more money? (Not trying to be funny.)

Answer

What does the clubface look like?

If it's open, you could come from all sorts of different places and hit the inside aft relative to the target line.

If it's closed...you might have a tough time.
If the clubface is open (to the plane line) AT ALL, even if it's only 0.1 degrees open, then no matter what the clubhead path is, you will hit the inside aft (relative to plane line).

If the clubfaced is closed (to the plane line) AT ALL, then it's impossible to hit the inside aft.

:eek:

Anyhow...force is always to the inside aft...but that's a different topic!

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
If the clubface is open (to the plane line) AT ALL, even if it's only 0.1 degrees open, then no matter what the clubhead path is, you will hit the inside aft (relative to plane line).

If the clubfaced is closed (to the plane line) AT ALL, then it's impossible to hit the inside aft.

Huh, that answer looks familiar.

Top 10

Great Post Mike!

And BTW, Mike, I'd really like some help on my "Historical Homer" project.

When you worked for "Swing's the Thing" school, they were an "official" TGM golf school or something like that. Can you tell me about it?

Appreciate the nice comment.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time and interest in helping out with the "Historical Homer" project- but should be an interesting ride for you and the forum.

I would say that it would be helpful to re- review the top ten answers that Brian provided which were mostly mechanical aspects of the golf stroke from a third person perspective and see how they change from the players or a 1st person perspective. That's an important distinction to make.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Appreciate the nice comment.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time and interest in helping out with the "Historical Homer" project- but should be an interesting ride for you and the forum.

I would say that it would be helpful to re- review the top ten answers that Brian provided which were mostly mechanical aspects of the golf stroke from a third person perspective and see how they change from the players or a 1st person perspective. That's an important distinction to make.

I'll have to do a first-person version. Thanks for the idea.

As far as the "official TGM" school question, is that off limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.