A Manzella Experience: with "before" and "after" video

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad and I drove 16 hours in one day in order for me to take a 3 hour lesson from Brian. Needless to say, I arrived with massive expectations. I guess the best way for me to evaluate the lesson is to say the ride home was filled with more anticipation than the drive to Louisville. I am not often impressed and I was amazed, not only with the content of the lesson, but also the manner in which Brian teaches. Other's have said this, but he makes you get it. He knows the psychological tricks to get a person to make a change. He is so passionate, a great communicator, and you can tell he would be crushed if he was not a lot of help to the player. What more can a dedicated student ask for.

The pattern he gave me was nothing like I have ever pictured myself swinging, yet I believe I will be far better off than if I tried to put some some patches on a very problematic move.

Thanks again Brian,

Matt

I will post a before and during the lesson swing. The main things he worked with me on were: (1) I was entirely too flat in the backswing, arms working too far around my body so he has me keeping my arms more in front of me and getting on the turned shoulder plane going back instead of nowhere near a good plane going back. He has me using a lagging clubhead takeaway with starting the hips back early because my lower body action in the backswing was almost non-existent, and through the ball was pretty static also. (2) He worked with me on aiming the hands in front of the ball. (3) He has me getting the body rotating through the ball and swiveling the club on-plane through the ball to get rid of a bad case of steering. (4) He also has me standing taller in my set-up, closer to the ball, with only a little knee flex. These are the main ideas I believe. Don't worry Brian, I got the other nuances ;o)

Matt

"Before" and "After"

Before face-on http://media.putfile.com/Before-lesson-face-on
(notice where the divot starts!)

Before down-the-line http://media.putfile.com/Before-lesson-down-the-line

After down-the-line: http://media.putfile.com/End-of-Manzella-lesson-swing

After face-on http://media.putfile.com/End-of-Manzella-lesson-face-on-8-20-06

I'm not sure if the "After" down-the-line is as bad as Brian saw when I got there, I think Brian saw an even worse move.

I know the journey has just begun and there is a lot of room for improvement, but Brian's drills and recommendations have given me a lot of confidence for the future. And I am extremely excited that I was able to approach several of the changes at the same time about 15 min. after being introduced to all of them. I have never considered myself talented at swing changes, in fact, quite the opposite. David Alford is right, we need to give ourselves more credit and get the right information.

Matt

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Looks like someone got the Never Hook Again Treatment ;)

Nice shafts too, one thing you'll learn as you get better at G.O.L.F. is that you will eventually put more spin on the balls and those project x shafts will help with dispersion and keeping the spin down.

Thanks a lot glcoach and bendet, nice of you to say. Once I get the "before" clips up you'll see what a magician Brian is. Thanks for the feedback Jim, appreciate it.

Matt

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
WOW!

Great stuff Matt.

Your face on need a sharper hip turn. You'll get there.

Glcoach,

I am looking for the tape.

:)

Thanks guys for being such great students and really good guys.

6 iron "after" videos, 7 iron "before" videos

I could tell by how impact felt that it was about 10 yards longer. Some swings I was compressing much better than others, toward the end of the lesson though I started putting the changes together within reason and it was longer, how much longer, hard to say for sure. I will post some updates on this thread though if people are interested.

Matt

Wow is right!

That is one heck of a transformation! What's amazing to me is how different the action really looks - whenever I try to make a change on my own I'm always disappointed by the video. Makes me glad I managed to hook a time with Brian this weekend in SoCal. ;)

jmessner said:
That is one heck of a transformation! What's amazing to me is how different the action really looks - whenever I try to make a change on my own I'm always disappointed by the video. Makes me glad I managed to hook a time with Brian this weekend in SoCal. ;)

I WORKED FOR 4 YEARS ON MY SWING with video, and could not get it to look this much better. Most people NEED an instructor to MAKE them change, I am one of those people!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I'm in the same boat, 3 years on my golf swing reading everything and got OK, but not consistent at all (Flipper) Discovered manzellagolfforum.com, learned A LOT from flipper and the rest of the videos, but couldn't quite put it all together....

A day with Brian changed all of that, stuff I thought I was doing right (Pivot) couldn't have been more wrong, but he fixed it and I'm beginning to believe that I am capable of really good golf.

glcoach said:
I'm in the same boat, 3 years on my golf swing reading everything and got OK, but not consistent at all (Flipper) Discovered manzellagolfforum.com, learned A LOT from flipper and the rest of the videos, but couldn't quite put it all together....

A day with Brian changed all of that, stuff I thought I was doing right (Pivot) couldn't have been more wrong, but he fixed it and I'm beginning to believe that I am capable of really good golf.

That "couldn't quite put it all together." Yeah, I know what you mean, know what you mean!

mrodock said:
I WORKED FOR 4 YEARS ON MY SWING with video, and could not get it to look this much better. Most people NEED an instructor to MAKE them change, I am one of those people!
I hear you - I've always thought I could manage my own swing improvement with just study and hard work. Another concern, of course, was the fear of finding a competent instructor that wouldn't wreck me for life - as I've seen some not so positive results in others.

jmessner said:
I hear you - I've always thought I could manage my own swing improvement with just study and hard work. Another concern, of course, was the fear of finding a competent instructor that wouldn't wreck me for life - as I've seen some not so positive results in others.

Trust comes slowly for me too, I just read a lot of stuff and I liked a lot of what I heard from Brian and I took the plunge! If you want massive results you have to take massive action. Keep doing what you are doing and get the same results. Everyone here has had bad instruction I'd wager. The problem is, most of us do not get a chance to know much of anything about the teacher's methods before we take lessons from them. With instructor's that have well-done forums and offer thoughtful responses to questions it's almost cheating, you are barely taking any chance at all.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.