Accumulator #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
shootin4par showed me the TGM book today, and we disagree on what accumulator 3 is. It looks to me like it is the angle between the left forarm and the shaft, when looked at from the behind-the-shot view. And by maintaining that angle while rotating through impact, that accumulates power? Is that accurate?

"It looks to me like it is the angle between the left forarm and the shaft"

That's correct, and it's the most misunderstood concept in TGM. When a player's hands are higher at impact than at address, they've used up all the wristcock(accum #2) and have used some of #3 to super-uncock, rather than use all of #3 as "throwout". Few good players have actually maintained all of #3 at the time they reach impact.

quote:Originally posted by shootin4par

so by maintaining number 3 you are able to throw the club out and around by using left forearm rotating???

Throwout is actuated by centrifugal force in a Swing and right arm thrust in a Hitting procedure. It's usually sequenced with wrist uncocking in Swinging and simultaneous with uncocking in Hitting.

what if someone tried to hang on and pull the but end of the club through the shot, therfore retarding left forearm rotation, would this angle be lost?

Swing-geek thinks accumulator 3 is an angle. Shootin4par thinks it's a rotation.
So I guess you could say I totally agree with MizunoJoe on this one, on two accounts. It's the angle, and it's one of the most misunderstood concepts in TGM!
Watched Tiger at Shanghai last week, and was amazed at how close his hands are to his body thru impact. Close to body = more angle between shaft and left forearm. Maybe this is why he's doing the old "urethane squish" so well this year? [:p]

well since brian has his DOCTORATE in understanding this book and swing concept, which by the way takes a vast amount of studying and knowledge, I think I will side with him! Thanks for clearing that up Bman

Stickin to my guns here on this one. It's an angle, just like the other accumulators. MizunoJoe is correct, and the section in TGM can be misunderstood easily. But I'm going with the AUTHOR of TGM when he says it's the angle between the forarm and shaft in the first sentence of the section on accumulator 3.

That sentence is very clear that accumulator 3 is an angle. I don't have the book in front of me now, but does the author EVER clearly state that accumulator 3 is a rotation?

Also, all the accumulators seem to be static positions. Then the author explains how they are used dynamically in generating power, which is where the confusion can come in.

rwh

New
I agree with Brian.

#1, #2 and #4 create power as the result of an out of line condition being released to seek its in-line condition.

#1 is the cocking and uncocking of the right elbow.
#2 is the cocking and uncocking of the left wrist.
#4 is the Left arm folding and unfolding across the chest.

#3 is different. The #3 Accumulator is formed by the angle between the left arm and the clubshaft. But the #3 Accumulator Angle is not released into impact -- the angle is held. The action of the #3 Accumulator is what is happening when the rotating left arm transports that angle between Release and Follow-through. This allows the clubhead to overtake the hands without bending the left wrist. The greater the angle, the more power is transferred by the rotating left arm because the clubhead has to move farther in the same amount of time.

Hey Shootin4par, want to call this one a tie? Sounds like it's an angle (formed) that must be maintained thru the rolling of the hands thru impact (action). Nice post, RWH.

swing-geek: 0-0-1
shootin4par: 0-0-1

So whats the next subject, bro? [8D]

quote:Originally posted by swing-geek

... AUTHOR of TGM ...

author .... Then the author explains how they are used dynamically in generating power, which is where the confusion can come in.

Author? That's a first. Who is the Author? Does he have a name?

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
Ben calls it an Australian hitchhicker move: because Americans drive on the wrong side of the road compared to Australians.

"But the #3 Accumulator Angle is not released into impact -- the angle is held."

Not always - most players have LESS of the angle at impact, that is the hands are higher.

quote:Originally posted by brianman

The left arm rotating IS #3.

You are DEAD WRONG here. The hosel rotates around the sweetspot - if what you say were true the clubhead would rotate around the hosel. To see this, look at the extreme case - no #3 angle at all.

Throwout feels like left arm rotation, but it isn't - the hands are rotating around a line from the hands through the sweetspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.