Accumulator #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Now you see why I tried to make it understandable in the video.

How ANY of the recent post have ANYthing to do with playing better golf...is beyond me.

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Now you see why I tried to make it understandable in the video.

How ANY of the recent post have ANYthing to do with playing better golf...is beyond me.

And thank you for it. All of these "lofty" posts are waaaaay beyond me. :)

Bman...

"Now you see why I tried to make it understandable in the video.

How ANY of the recent post have ANYthing to do with playing better golf...is beyond me."

couldn't agree more and sincerely appreciate the vids for understaning...

better have a grasp of the specifics if one is to understand TGM jargon. Too often and rightfully so, the dicsussion has centered on 4 accumulators, 3 pressure points, 2 hinges, and a partridge in a pear tree. Only to ask myself the same, what the heck does this have to do anything with a golf swing...from a tgm perspective, everything...

If only we could cut to the chase and straightened things out to make it simple to understand..:)

quote:Originally posted by David Alford

Mandrin, that's correct. However, perform this experiment. Hold your right arm out in front of you parallel to the ground (straight out or bent, it doesn't matter). Put your left hand on top of the right hand. Next, try to raise the right hand/arm while restaining any upward movement by the left.

Next, release the left's restraint. THE RIGHT HAND/ARM SPRINGS UPWARD.

Now at the top of the golf swing, there is no one's hand restraining the left arm, shoulders, or torso. However, the "coil" wants to unwind,
so it is similiar to the effect you can observe in the experiment above.
David, I also have a very simple experiment for you. :) Hang any small weight form a cord. Cut the cord. What happens?. Weight falls. What is happening? Gravity force operates throughout but cutting the cord allows it to accelerate the mass towards the earth.

Now your experiment. The right arm exerts an upward force on the left arm. Nothing happens since the left arm’s downward force is cancelling the right arm’s upward force. Take away the left arm - the muscles in the right arm/shoulder can now accelerate and ‘spring’ its mass upwards.

In both experiments no spring at work.

David, there is only a very marginal amount of springiness in the tendons. Not enough to consider muscles to be acting like springs. I rather tend to believe basic survival instincts to be at work when one really winds up tightly in the backswing. These survival instincts take over and try to release the painful stress. So, at the transition, reflexive action takes over, perhaps feeling for some to be like the release of a spring.

quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

You sorely misunderstand the dynamics here. The golfer doesn't "let go" at the top. The tightly coiled shoulders are jump started by the hips and there is an auto unwinding aided and abetted by the core muscles. By keeping the right shoulder constrained from going "out", the shoulders move downplane.
MizunoJoe, it is difficult to discuss when everything is systematically misinterpreted. :( I can assure you that I have a fair idea of the dynamics of a golf swing. I was simply illustrating an idea not teaching some new way to start a downswing.

I am quite sure that you are quite capable of going tightly to the top and then go limp at that precise position. Any non-golfer can surely do this so why not an intelligent TGM golfer. :)

What I am trying to say is that an experienced golfer is so trained to swing forcefully downward and forward that it is almost has become a reflex action.

However the fact that you can still willingly decide to either go limp or let the learned ingrained swing motion takes place should be telling you something:

There are no springs at the top of the swing just neurons, acting in the brain, who can either command muscles to let go or contracting them in the proper sequence throughout the body.

Mandrin wrote:

<David, there is only a very marginal amount of springiness in the tendons. Not enough to consider muscles to be acting like springs. I rather tend to believe basic survival instincts to be at work when one really winds up tightly in the backswing. These survival instincts take over and try to release the painful stress. So, at the transition, reflexive action takes over, perhaps feeling for some to be like the release of a spring.>

Yes! I agree...However, I really don't mind the spring analogy. Similarly, I don't mind HK's (and many contriibutors to this forum) useage of "centrifugal force". It also doesn't exist, but it's a term most people are familiar with and they get the idea, so to speak. Strictly speaking, it is an errror. But heck, I got tired of pointing out it's nonexistance.

rundmc and tourdeep, thanks for TGM references. I have the book somewhere...HK has made some error of ommission, as there clearly are more than 4 power accumulators.

Mandrin, btw...I avoid stress whenever possible. Esp. in the golf swing. I think the windup theory is way over done. I prefer less shoulder tension at the top. There is a reason, I'm sure you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.