Accumulator #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Homer Kelly intented the words Throw-Out Action to be associated Swinging.
Rotation of a body (Pivot) creates a Centrifugal Reaction which propels the Secondary Lever Assembly (the Club) into Impact. Swingers must learn how to manipulate Centrifugal Force to ensure this Throw-Out Action produces the desired Rhythm and does not disrupt the correct Clubface and Clubshaft Geometry.

Release Motions(4-D-0) describe how the Left Wrist Uncock (Accumulator #2) and Roll (Accumulator #3) in the Downstroke. It is a separate concept from the Physics of Hitting and Swinging, although one does affect the other. The Drive-Out Action of the Right Arm used in Hitting is very compaitble with the Simultaneous Release, and the Centrifugal Throw-Out Action used in Swinging is compatible with the Sequenced Release.

quote:Originally posted by tongzilla

The Drive-Out Action of the Right Arm (is) used in Hitting

Thanks for the clarification - since I Swing everything, I automatically think Throwout in reference to #3. Hope I didn't confuse any of you Hitters.

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by Bono

Ok...lets all make sure we are on the same page here.

Accumulator #3 is the angle established between the left forearm and the clubshaft. The more angle - the more potential power. Rolling allows that angle to be maintained. Dont roll and watch it fade away!

More ain't always better . . . You get the same travel with a little angle as with a lot of angle.

MJ, please give me your take on #4. It sounded as if HK was describing a folding or bending left arm. Whatever he meant, he could have just said so plainly and accurately.

quote:Originally posted by David Alford

MJ, please give me your take on #4. It sounded as if HK was describing a folding or bending left arm. Whatever he meant, he could have just said so plainly and accurately.

No, David- you are thinking wrong about acc#4.
MJ was talking about the right angle of the left arm coming across the chest and being blasted off the chest but the thrust of the right arm (or should have been)- not about the left arm being folded.
Homer did explain plainly and accurately- read it yourself. The only word that may confuse you is in the first paragraph- "Checkrein." It means the left arm keeps the right arm "on a leash" so it folds and unfolds without breaking down the flying wedges and maintaining the rhythm of the stroke.

Acc#4 is not about bending the left arm at the elbow.

6bee wrote:
>No, David- you are thinking wrong about acc#4.
MJ was talking about the right angle of the left arm coming across the chest and being blasted off the chest but the thrust of the right arm (or should have been)- not about the left arm being folded.
Homer did explain plainly and accurately- read it yourself. The only word that may confuse you is in the first paragraph- "Checkrein." It means the left arm keeps the right arm "on a leash" so it folds and unfolds without breaking down the flying wedges and maintaining the rhythm of the stroke.>

Could you or MJ or Brian just SIMPLY define what acc #1,2,3,4 are? Thanks. I would like to see if everyone can then agree.

Regarding #4, "folding and unfolding the left arm" just seems so inept a description, if in fact, it doesn't fold or unfold. To me, it implied a power source per Jack Kurkendal's (sp) theory of a bent left arm as an additional potential power lever.

Lastly, if HK thought the left arm was in contact with the chest in the downswing on full shots, I wouldn't agree. If it's not in contact, it can't be blasted off by a right thrust.

David:

Not MJ or Brian, but...

Accumulator #1 is the Bent Right Arm.
Accumulator #2 is the Cocked Left Wrist.
Accumulator #3 is the angle between Clubshaft and Left Forearm.
Accumulator #4 is the angle formed by the Left Arm and Left Shoulder.

Everyone will agree with the above. Simple definitions. End of story.

So how are the used?
How are the loaded?
How are they released?
How do you Max Trigger Delay each one?
How do you 'zero them out'?
Which Accumulators do Swingers/Hitters use?
So what exactly does Homer mean when he says...?

Sorry, can't write the book in a post.

If you want to understand The Golfing Machine, you must at least own the book!

David- it seems you know little about TGM. This is basic stuff and I agree with Tong- a book would help.

Whether or not there is agreement- Here are the 4 power accumulators according to Homer Kelley. Remember that power flows from the accumulators and is applied AGAINST the Pressure Point that drives the club.

Acc#1- is the Bent Right Arm- called the Hitter’s Muscle Power Accumulator. It drives to straight after Impact. The right arm bends in a Swing stroke but is not the main source of power in the stroke.

Acc#2- the left wrist cock. It is a Velocity Accumulator. Released by Centrifugal Force or the power of Acc#1.

Acc#3- the angle of the left forearm and the shaft. This is the angle that is at address before acc#2 is cocked and is left after #2 is released. It comes from a turned condition to a rolled condition. #3 is the Transfer Power accumulator. With a true throw out condition #3 squares the clubface. “Roll Power” The left arm has no- NONE, not ever, does it fold at the elbow by design. It stays loose but straight. SA golfers have no Acc#3 at address.

Acc#4- is the angle formed by the Left Arm and the left shoulder. It is called the Master Accumulator and is the rhythm of the pivot. It is the first accumulator to be released, not by it moving off the chest independently of the stroke but by the force of the right shoulder blasting down out and through impact. Look at John Daly and you will see this angle remain connected past impact. Not what you believe.

The beauty of the machine is that the four accumulators can be used in many different combinations.

PS- Jack's bending of the left elbow is a (very) poor substitute for his lack of a wrist cock (acc#2). It adds no power. His elbow is his wrist. It adds nada to a good golf stroke. It stinks.

rundmc

Banned
Here's Accumulator #1 . . .

MUSCLE POWER

6-B-1-0 THE FIRST POWER ACCUMULATOR is the Bent Right Arm – the Hitter’s (7-19) Muscle Power Accumulator. Even though the Right Bicep is active per 7-3, the Backstroke (8-5) is always made with the Right Arm striving to remain straight. But the straight Left Arm restrains this continuous Extensor Action of the right triceps with and effortless Checkreign Action. Consequently, during Release (7-24) the Right Arm can straighten only as the Left Arm moves away froM the Right Shoulder. This results in a smooth, even Thrust for acceleration of the Lever Assemblies (6-A) from an otherwise unruly force. Active or Passive, the straightening Right Elbow with its Paddlewheel Action, powers, guides, and regulates the #3 Accumulator Motion (7-18) but not the actual Clubface aligning (1-F). Study 2-M, 7-11 and Components 19.

6-B-1-A MAXIMUM POWER is produced by adjusting the Hand speed to permit maximum Thrust through Impact before maximum extension is reached.

6-B-1-B ZERO ACCUMULATION is possible only when Accumulator #4 alone actuates the Primary Lever Assembly.

6-B-1-C MAXIMUM TRIGGER DELAY is gained by causing the Right Elbow to “Pass the Ball’ – which is the Line-of-Sight-to-the-Ball- before Release. Study 2-N, 3-F-7, 7-8 and 10-14.

6-B-1-D EXTENSOR ACTION is exclusively the steady effort to straighten the bent Right Arm. This stretches but does not move the Left Arm and produces a structural rigidity that is a strong deterrent to collapse under the stresses of Acceleration and Impact. It is in operation from Impact Fix to the end of Follow-through. In addition, this action promotes:
1. the full extension of the Left Arm at all times
2. the full extension of the Right Arm for the Follow-through
3. the correct rate of “Clubhead Closing”
4. the proper type of support for “passive” (non-accelerating 6-C-0) Clubhead Lag Pressure involving Wristcock.
Except for Zero Accumulator #3 the “stretch” direction is aways Below Plane. Because of Extensor Action, the Right Triceps can never be totally “passive.”

While this particular application of Power inhibits a “take-over” of the action by Centrifugal Force it also introduces some assurance that the available Centrifugal Force will not be stifled by a premature checking of that outward drive which generates it. This relieves the Wrists of considerable responsibility and gives this drive a much more massive kind of support while freeing the Wrists for a sharper focus on Ball Control. Extensor Action gives an indispensable control to all Strokes. Stretching on the Left Arm through the #3 Presure Point gives the same action as pulling both ends of a rope. That is, it pulls both the Left Arm and the Clubshaft tautly in a straight line. That, and just moving from “Bent Left Wrist” to “Flat Left Wrist” during – and as – the Loading Action are very effective for Short Shot procedures (10-19-0). However, improperly executed, it can cause Clubhead Throwaway. In which case, use only #1 Pressure Point and pull on the left thumb to then hold at least the Left Arm in-line and retain Power Package structural rigidity.

This action of Extensor force can be substituded for Downstroke Acceleration of the Arms and Hands – in part or wholly – for “less than full Power” shots calling for the precision execution of a heavy, constant Hand Speed through Release and Impact. Lag Pressure then can be the artificial pressure of a tight right forefinger grip – which, actually, can serve the same function for Backstroke guidance (6-C-1).

rundmc

Banned
Here's Accumulator #2 . . .

VELOCITY POWER

6-B-2-0 THE SECOND POWER ACCUMULATOR When the Left Wrist is Cocked (in excess of the selected Clubshaft-Left Hand Angle (6-B-3) in the Address Fix positions) it forms the Second Power Accumulator. It’s the true Velocity Accumulator because of the shortness of its travel time (during a Maximum Delay Release). Centrifugal Force, Accumulator #1, the muscles of both forearms, any – or all – are available to actuate this Assembly. Its “in-line” condition is FULL EXTENSION as determined by the Accumulator #3 requirements – if any. It is the “Downward” (Angle of Attack) Motion per 2-C-0 and 2-N-1.

6-B-2-A MAXIMUM POWER is obtained with maximum Controllable Hand Speed (10-19) and/or a sharp-breaking Line Delivery (7-23) and maximum Trigger Delay (10-20). Study 10-19 and 10-11-0-2.

6-B-2-B ZERO ACCUMULATION is obtained by not exceeding the selected #3 Accumulator Angle during either the Backstroke or the Downstroke.

6-B-2-C MAXIMUM TRIGGER DELAY is achieved by using an Automatic Snap or Flip Release (10-24-3 or –F).

rundmc

Banned
And #4 Accumulator . . .

RADIUS POWER

6-B-4-0 THE FORTH POWER ACCUMULATOR The angle formed by the Left Arm and Left Shoulder forms the Forth Power Accumulator. It is not only an independent Power Accumulator, but its Triggering function as the Checkrein of the Right Elbow is also vastly important and it thus can be the Accumulator of the Accumulators – or Master Accumulator. Also see 2-M-4.

As Accumulator #4 it is Pivot (Body) Power supplying the initial acceleration of the Downstroke to throw the Lever Assemblies toward Impact by the Thrust of the Shoulder Turn. See 7-13. Another major contribution to Impact Power is geometric – it is the first link in the Swing Radius power train between the Club and the Feet.

“Left Arm Power” in any form or amount can still be considered #4 Accumulator Action. Otherwise it actually substitutes for the Pivot to introduce the circular motion required to produce Centrifugal Force.

6-B-4-A MAXIMUM POWER is obtained by using maximum On Plane Shoulder Turn Thrust against Pressure Point #4 per 7-19, and maximum Swing Radius (6-B-0).

6-B-4-B ZERO ACCUMULATION is either no Shoulder Turn or the use of Accumulator #1 alone for actuating the Primary Lever Assembly.

6-B-4-C MAXIMUM TRIGGER DELAY is achieved by using either the Standard or Delayed Pivot (to increase the Lag of the Downstroke Shoulder Turn) with a Snap Loading Action (per 7-19-3 and 10-22-C) followed by a Snap Release (10-24-E) with a Pitch Basic Stroke (10-3-B). For Hitters the essential difference is that Loading is per 7-19-1.

Bono

New
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

quote:Originally posted by tongzilla

The Drive-Out Action of the Right Arm (is) used in Hitting

Thanks for the clarification - since I Swing everything, I automatically think Throwout in reference to #3. Hope I didn't confuse any of you Hitters.

MJ....
Just curious...but didnt Tong say basically what I did? Just curious as to why his explanation is valid, while mine didnt seem to be....

quote:Originally posted by rundmc

quote:Originally posted by Bono

Ok...lets all make sure we are on the same page here.

Accumulator #3 is the angle established between the left forearm and the clubshaft. The more angle - the more potential power. Rolling allows that angle to be maintained. Dont roll and watch it fade away!

More ain't always better . . . You get the same travel with a little angle as with a lot of angle.

I agree on more isnt always better. I was saying that more accumulator #3, properly harnessed, results in more power.

There is a difference in clubhead travel between a little and alot of accumulator #3 - any additional angle means the clubhead has to travel that much more to get to the same location. For a test - do it yourself as Homer recommends in 6-B-3-0.

Oh, I've never said I know TGM. In fact, I've openly stated I haven't been influenced by it at all. So when my stuff comes out, I hope no one will say, "he learned that from TGM".

I PURPOSEDLY AVOIDED TGM because I wanted to figure everything out myself. At this point, with my research essentially over, I'm willing to see what HK knew. I do have his book somewhere and agree I should read it. I did read it a long time ago, maybe 15 yrs?, and saw that HK and I were covering the same ground. I shut the book and put it away because I really wanted my own voyage and challenges. Somewhat contradictory, I didn't mind reading magazine articles and/or forum comments, theories, etc. posted by others.

I do wonder why his errors aren't clearly admitted - such as his idea the left arm could be blasted off the chest on the downswing. That's simply silly, as it isn't in contact at least during a full swing.

6bee, re: Jack K. I agree. Well, a bent left arm can be a power lever, but at the expense of other power sources, as you correctly suggest.

I went to the trouble to visit with Jack K. I'll only say he was quite nice. The main thing I learned from him was his personal observations on Moe Norman's ball striking.I think this may be a topic of Brian's interview with me for his podcast, so I won't say anymore here.

Status
Not open for further replies.