Accumulator #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rundmc

Banned
For reference, here's what the book says . . .

TRANSFER POWER

6-B-3-0 THE THIRD POWER ACCUMULATOR Power Accumulator #3 is formed by the angle established between the Clubshaft and the Left Forearm. Accumulator #3 should never be “Out-of-Line – instead, it seeks to MAINTAIN its radial alignment with the Left Arm and Left Wrist vertical to its associated Plane. So, basically, Accumulator #3 Hand Motion (4-D-0) is “Clubface Control,” “Rhythm Control,” and “Roll Power Control” of the Right Elbow (7-3). Study 2-G and 7-20.

With true Throw-Out Action (no manual Clubface manipulation), Centrifugal Force automatically aligns the Clubshaft and Clubface for Horizontal Hinging (10-10-D) regardless of the Grip being used. And Ball Position (2-N) for straight-away flight must agree with the amount of “Hookface” designed into the Club, and is, therefore, unalterable except with manual override action or adjustment of the Plane Line. True “Drive Out” Action holds the Clubface in Impact Fix alignment (7-10) and automatically produces Angled Hinging (10-10-C). Study 7-3 and 10-11-0-3. Regardless of Lag Loading Procedure, Vertical Hinging (10-10-B) is a deliberate manual manipulation.

Photos 6-B-3-0 shows the Left Forearm version – using a slow back-and-forth motion with Horizontal Hinge Action. For the Right Forearm version, do likewise, applying Angled Hinge Action. Do both alternately until you see the distinct differences in the Rhythm and Clubhead Travel of all three of the Roll procedures. The Turning Rate of the Pivot Components – especially the Shoulder Turn as actuated by Hip Action (7-15) – MUST be identical and synchronous with the #3 Accumulator Roll, else its Rhythm gets disrupted. Or at least difficult. This requirement also dictates when and how much Downstroke Hip Slide is needed. The “On Plane” Right Forearm ALWAYS establishes and maintains the correct Clubshaft-Left Arm angle through Release and Impact. See 7-3.

All the above is equally true for Putting. That is, the Swinger can use a “Reverse Loft” Putter for a precision “Low Point” Impact – really a very accurate and simple procedure. One alternative would be to use something like 10-3-F (Peck) or 10-3-H (Paw). Else manipulate the Clubface per 7-2. Either way, there is no accuracy for any procedures unless the HANDS (5-0) execute a definite Hinge Motion (2-G) per 2-F, 2-J-3-A and 6-L-0. However, ANY deviating from 6-A-4 and 12-0 is – mechanically - less than ideal. Putts are miniature Drives (12-0).

The Accumulator #3 motion must be accommodated in the Impact alignment or it will (with great loss of Power) produce a Quitting of the Hand Motion and/or a Quitting of the Overtaking action in an effort to avoid Pulled Shots. That wilted feeling of a “Blocked Out” Stroke is the tip-off of a faulty Approach Angle. Study 2-N and 10-5-0.

6-B-3-0-1 THE FLYING WEDGES The Clubhead may appear to move in a an arc around and outside the Hands when related to the Left Arm – the very basic Left Arm Flying Wedge. But when related to the Right Forearm, it appears to move “On Plane” with the Right Forearm, at its normal rigid angle (Bent Right Wrist) – the Right Forearm Flying Wedge. So – except in Sections 1 and 3 (Chapter 8) the entire Left Arm, the Clubshaft and the back of the Left Hand are ALWAYS positioned against the same flat plane – the Right Forearm and the Clubshaft are, in like manner, positioned on the plane of the Right Wrist Bend AT RIGHT ANGLES TO THE LEFT ARM PLANE. That is the precision assembly and alignment of the Power Package structure and is mandatory during the entire motion. Hitting or Swinging. Study 4-D-1 regarding “Grip” and “Flat Left Wrist”. Also see 7-3. Then, ideally, the Left Wrist is always Flat and the Right Wrist is always Level (4-A-1, 4-B-1).

6-B-3-A MAXIMUM POWER for Swingers is obtained by using the Standard Wrist Action (10-18-A) with Automatic Snap Release (10-20, 10-24-E) and maximum Radius (6-B-0). Plus the transfer of the residual Clubhead velocity of Accumulator #2 (7-18). Study 2-P and 10-3-D. But the Hitters use Single Wrist Action (10-18-C) because they use a Cocked Right Elbow and Angled Hinging per 7-20, 10-3-K and 10-11-0-3 whether the Left Wrist is Cocked or not. So, unless it is “Zeroed Out,” there must always be a definite Accumulator #3 “Overtaking” Action.

6-B-3-B ZERO ACCUMULATION is obtained by merely reducing the Hand-Clubshaft angle to zero by dropping the Hand-Clubshaft angle to zero by dropping the Clubhead into a Reverse Wrist Cock condition (FVU), or by moving the Clubshaft up into the cup of the Left Hand. Placing the Clubshaft anywhere between the Heel and the Cup of the Left Hand will reduce its angle accordingly but will not alter its Rhythm (2-G) until Zero position is reached.

6-B-3-C MAXIMUM TRIGGER DELAY for Swingers is the use of Trigger Types 10-20-D or 10-20-E for a truly Automatic Snap Release (10-24-E). But the Hitter uses the Right Arm Throw 10-20-B per 6-B-3-A above. And study 7-20 in this connection.

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

"But the #3 Accumulator Angle is not released into impact -- the angle is held."

Not always - most players have LESS of the angle at impact, that is the hands are higher.

MJ,

I was referring to what is supposed to happen -- i.e., the angle at Impact Fix and Impact is supposed to be the same.

Thanks for posting the section on Accumulator 3, rundmc.

I agree with MizunoJoe that there is no power gained whatsoever by closing the clubface by actively rolling the left forearm. Take any picture of a golfer at impact from the behind view. Draw a line directly throught the grip toward the ball. You will notice that the shaft droops, the hosel moves out of the way, and the line goes right through the sweetspot (center of gravity, actually). So the club does rotate around the sweetspot. Another way to see how the hosel simply "moves out of the way" is to pick up any club and put the grip between your palms. Rub you palms together (as if you were trying start a fire) and you will notice that the center of gravity of the clubhead stays put, and the hosel spins in circles around it.

Also, check out section 6-B-3-B, about zero accumulation. Says it's obtained by reducing the hand-clubshaft angle to zero. To me this refers to allowing centrifugal force to pull your hands up toward being inline with the shaft.

Paragraph 3 refers to the horizontal, angled, and vertical hinge actions and how the left forearm-clubshaft angle is maintained through the hitting area in those motions by an on-plane right forearm. I've been doing these drills, watching my forearm-shaft angle as I swing slowly back and forth with the different hinge actions, trying to maintain the same angle as at address. Once you get the synch right, it's easy to swing hard and maintain that angle.

Then I head to the range and screw it all up...LOL !

quote:Originally posted by swing-geek

Thanks for posting the section on Accumulator 3, rundmc.

I agree with MizunoJoe that there is no power gained whatsoever by closing the clubface by actively rolling the left forearm. Take any picture of a golfer at impact from the behind view. Draw a line directly throught the grip toward the ball. You will notice that the shaft droops, the hosel moves out of the way, and the line goes right through the sweetspot (center of gravity, actually). So the club does rotate around the sweetspot. Another way to see how the hosel simply "moves out of the way" is to pick up any club and put the grip between your palms. Rub you palms together (as if you were trying start a fire) and you will notice that the center of gravity of the clubhead stays put, and the hosel spins in circles around it.

The clubshaft surely rotates around the sweetspot. (2-F) This allows the clubface to be open, square or closed and remain on plane.

quote:
Also, check out section 6-B-3-B, about zero accumulation. Says it's obtained by reducing the hand-clubshaft angle to zero. To me this refers to allowing centrifugal force to pull your hands up toward being inline with the shaft.
No, not exactly- “allowing centrifugal force to pull your hands up toward being inline with the shaft” means you released or spent acc#3. Zero out means not having any Acc#3 at address (Moe Norman). Short shorts or putts use little or no acc#3 angle. The greater the angle of acc#3 the earlier the release of it so chips and putts may have none or less than full shots. Acc#3 is the Transfer Accumulator transferring power from acc#2 and/or acc#1 into acc#4.

quote:

Paragraph 3 refers to the horizontal, angled, and vertical hinge actions and how the left forearm-clubshaft angle is maintained through the hitting area in those motions by an on-plane right forearm. I've been doing these drills, watching my forearm-shaft angle as I swing slowly back and forth with the different hinge actions, trying to maintain the same angle as at address. Once you get the synch right, it's easy to swing hard and maintain that angle.

Then I head to the range and screw it all up...LOL !

Check out Lynn and Ted go through the hinge actions as a drill.

quote:Originally posted by swing-geek

Aww, I was just kidding - been hitting it great the last couple days, and I think doing those drills have helped. :D
you dont actually think this tgm stuff has any validity to it do you?

geoffb

New
quote:Originally posted by shootin4par

Can anyone try and hlep me understand accumalator number 3?
This is the way I understand accum #3. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Zero out accum #3 (i.e.: club inline with left arm) and rotate your forearm.
Note the clubhead occupied the same space (roughly) and the clubface just rotated from open to closed.

Now add some accum #3 and rotate your forearm.
Note that this time the clubhead travelled in an arc around your left arm while at the same time the clubface rotated from open to closed.

The distance travelled by the club head is the important point! That distance is the product of accum #3.

The more accum #3 ANGLE you have the more distance and hence speed the clubhead will have for the SAME amount and rate of forearm rotation.

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by geoffb

Can anyone try and hlep me understand accumalator number 3?
This is the way I understand accum #3. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Zero out accum #3 (i.e.: club inline with left arm) and rotate your forearm.
Note the clubhead occupied the same space (roughly) and the clubface just rotated from open to closed.

Now add some accum #3 and rotate your forearm.
Note that this time the clubhead travelled in an arc around your left arm while at the same time the clubface rotated from open to closed.

The distance travelled by the club head is the important point! That distance is the product of accum #3.

The more accum #3 ANGLE you have the more distance and hence speed the clubhead will have for the SAME amount and rate of forearm rotation.

2-G Hinging . . . Here's the book reference for your analysis:

The KEY to this Rhythm is the #3 Accumulator (6-B-3-0). As part of the above drill, hold the 45 degree Arm position while rotating the Hands and the #3 Accumulator through the three Hinging positions, over and over until you see that each position changes the LOCATION of the Clubhead. The Point to note here is that with each Hinge Action the #3 Accumulator has a different “In Line” motion – Dual Horizontal Hinging having the longest travel and Dual Vertical the shortest. This agrees with the “Roll Characteristics” discussed in 7-10 and must be so executed to produce proper Rhythm. Doing the above drill with Zero Accumulator #3 (6-B-3-B) will show that then, all Lag Loading and Hinge Action have Angled Hinging Travel AND Rhythm. So – intentional use of Zero Accumulator #3 can be useful while unintentional use can be hazardous.

However, keep in mind that you can have TOO MUCH of a good thing. The more you grip under the heel pad the more #3 angle you have. This also effects your #2 Accumulator. You are always just inches from UNCOCKED. Yoda recommends JUST A LITTLE under the heel pad. This changes the amount of Travel. But how much Travel do you really want/need?

djd

New
quote:Originally posted by rundmc

However, keep in mind that you can have TOO MUCH of a good thing. The more you grip under the heel pad the more #3 angle you have. This also effects your #2 Accumulator. You are always just inches from UNCOCKED. Yoda recommends JUST A LITTLE under the heel pad. This changes the amount of Travel. But how much Travel do you really want/need?

NON if ur out there ... NON you suggested holding the club lower in the left hand than under the recommended heel pad - in the base of the fingers ... when i attempt to hold the club that low my grip looks freakishly strong, do u have a pic of how to hold it correctly that low in the hand ... also, what is the corresponding position for the right hand w/ this grip? thanks

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by djd

quote:Originally posted by rundmc

NON if ur out there ... NON you suggested holding the club lower in the left hand than under the recommended heel pad - in the base of the fingers ... when i attempt to hold the club that low my grip looks freakishly strong, do u have a pic of how to hold it correctly that low in the hand ... also, what is the corresponding position for the right hand w/ this grip? thanks

This is Yoda's take on the ARCHIVES section on the Left Hand grip and #3 Accumulator Angle:

Full Strokes, on the other hand, require the greater Power afforded by the #3 Accumulator. Interstingly in this case - - as in so much of life - - more is not better. Absent special circumstances or psychological needs (which much be accomodated!), only a MINIMAL amount of #3 Accumulator Angle should be used. that is because THE MORE ACUTE THE #3 ANGLE, THE SOONER IT MUST BE RELEASED. This creates a longer Release Interval and less than Full Power. Maximum yardage requires the use of the Snap Relase and minimal #3 Accumulator. You still get the same Clubhead Travel and Rhythm (6-B-3-0) of the #3 Accumulator through Impact to the end of Follow-Through (both arms straight position), but the minimal Release Interval (2-M-2) prodcues a smaller Club Head Travel TIME. Hence, more yardage.

And here is one final, very important point. The #3 Accumulator is called Transfer Power for a reason: Especially in the Sequenced Release (4-D-0) of Swingers, IT TRANSFERS THE POWER OF THE RELEASED #2 ACCUMULATOR (LEFT WRIST COCK) INTO THE ROLLING LEFT FOREARM AND HAND. You should deliberately attempt to FEEL this happening and do everything you can to encourage its Action.

Here's how to do it: From the Top, Drag Load (7-19) by Pulling the Butt End of the Club TOWARD THE PLANE LINE. Immediately thereafter, BEGIN A NON-AUTOMATIC RANDOM SWEEP RELEASE (10-24-B) - later you can kcik it up a notch with the Automatic Snap Release (10-24-E) - by UNCOCKING YOUR LEFT WRIST STRONGLY DOWNWARD, ALSO TOWARD THE PLANE LINE. That takes only a fraction of a second, and just as you Feel the strong, Downward Uncocking Motion underway, USE ITS MOMENTUM TO BEGIN THE ROLL OF YOUR #3 ANGLE ON LINE through Impact. You've launched a THREE STAGE ROCKET: The DRAG LOAD established your initial Thrust; your UNCOCKING LEFT WRIST created the highest Velocity you will be able to achieve; and the #3 ACCUMULATOR PICKED UP THAT VELOCITY AND SUSTAINED IT INTO IMPACT.

With practice this Sequenced Release blends into a single unified motion and creates truly effortless, mystifying and almost magical power.

AS FAR AS THE RIGHT HAND GRIP GOES . . .

The "preferred" Machine grip has the grip take in the CUP OF THE RIGHT HAND. Not the fingers. This is to establish the Right Forearm Flying Wedge with its LEVEL BENT RIGHT WRIST and Right Forearm and Clubshaft IN THE SAME PLANE e.g. The Javelin Thrower. The Javelin is held in the CUP of the hand and thus the javelin is in the same plane as the Right Forearm. You would hold the Javelin in a vertical attitude where as the Golf Club is held on the INCLINED PLANE. But the Forearm and Shaft are in the same plane. This is easier to accomplish with the grip in the CUP of the right hand.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Here's how to do it: From the Top, Drag Load (7-19) by Pulling the Butt End of the Club TOWARD THE PLANE LINE. Immediately thereafter, BEGIN A NON-AUTOMATIC RANDOM SWEEP RELEASE (10-24-B) - later you can kcik it up a notch with the Automatic Snap Release (10-24-E) - by UNCOCKING YOUR LEFT WRIST STRONGLY DOWNWARD, ALSO TOWARD THE PLANE LINE. That takes only a fraction of a second, and just as you Feel the strong, Downward Uncocking Motion underway, USE ITS MOMENTUM TO BEGIN THE ROLL OF YOUR #3 ANGLE ON LINE through Impact. You've launched a THREE STAGE ROCKET: The DRAG LOAD established your initial Thrust; your UNCOCKING LEFT WRIST created the highest Velocity you will be able to achieve; and the #3 ACCUMULATOR PICKED UP THAT VELOCITY AND SUSTAINED IT INOT IMPACT.

----------------------------------------

THIS IS EXACTLY what i was talking about my "right arm swing" a while back.

Bono

New
Ok...lets all make sure we are on the same page here.

Accumulator #3 is the angle established between the left forearm and the clubshaft. The more angle - the more potential power. Rolling allows that angle to be maintained. Dont roll and watch it fade away!

Throwout is actuated by centrifugal force in a Swing and right arm thrust in a Hitting procedure. It's usually sequenced with wrist uncocking in Swinging and simultaneous with uncocking in Hitting.
MJ,
I wouldnt associate throwout with Hitting. Throwout centrifugal force throwing out the secondary lever assembly to impact - all due to rotation. Conversely, hitting doesnt have the same characteristics. I know what you're saying - hitting does produce like affects - but for the viewing public, might be better to coorelate the term 'throw out' with centrifugal force. Just a thought.

so by maintaining number 3 you are able to throw the club out and around by using left forearm rotating???
I would say yes. It seeks to maintain its radial alignment with the left forearm.

"But the #3 Accumulator Angle is not released into impact -- the angle is held."

Not always - most players have LESS of the angle at impact, that is the hands are higher.
Isnt that due to clubhead droop raising the hands in alot of cases?

quote:Originally posted by David Alford

Who believes #4 ( the Left arm folding and unfolding across the chest) has validity?
I do! But keep in mind, its the angle and pressure, not necessarily folding/unfolding.

Great thread everyone! Thought provoking!!!!

Throwout happens in both Swinging and Hitting. It is usually sequenced with uncocking in Swinging and happens simultaneously with uncocking in Hitting.

You can use up as much of #3 as you want by uncocking past the address angle.

Bono

New

Throwout happens in both Swinging and Hitting. It is usually sequenced with uncocking in Swinging and happens simultaneously with uncocking in Hitting.

How does it happen with hitting? Any references from the book? Keep in mind, I am referring strictly to the book definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.