Bubba

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played basketball too and I agree I never thought about shooting technique during a game nor would I advocate anyone else too. I did spend a lot of time practicing my shooting technique on my own though, and it was very worth it.

i think if you learn at an early stage of your life, it's just a reaction......
which is better than when you learn something when youa re old, because you think about it

Bubba says he has a wide swing arc. That's it. Maybe that's all he needs to say. After all, it coincides with this, right?

You can't be wide going back and just yank it down to the ball and still claim to be wide. Just doesn't work...or make sense.

I wasn't too keen on the MJ video, although it has some good info, which incidentally Bmanz has already put up here.

"In line condition" (TGM) and the all new expression "line up" from MJ. Sorry but that is the same in my book. To much effort to reinvent the golf swing made it come across as "gimmicky".

Well, it isn't even close to the same but everyone doesnt have to like the video. TGM and this video are polar opposites.

For sure, they are polar opposites.

I just meant that in the English language "to become in line" and "line up" are almost identical. So the claim to have invented an "all new" expression regarding the golf swing was ill thought out and comes across to me as a very transparent attempt to be the inventor of something new which isn't actually really new at all. Agreed he means something different from what is in the "book", but I was commenting on the presentation and not the content which, as I said, was good. Albeit already presented here by BManz.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
but it's learned. I don't have to think about basketball techniques, i just shoot the ball. I was on the varsity basketball since I was in high school. I never thought about techniques , i only think about SWISH! I think it's ok to learn different stuff and digest, but in the end, you should be able to swing freely...your own print of the swing. Doest matter if you need flat left wrist, cock wrist, you should just stick with what you have. Maybe learn about d-plane....

basketball and baseball are reactionary sports, golf is not. brain handles it differently.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
When Michael says "line up". He is in no way talking about the "in line condition" spoken of in TGM.

I was the same way....I had a lot of time, energy and money invested in TGM principles, I wanted to hold on to any little shred that it was accurate....it's not, I moved on and I am playing better golf.

dbl

New
Good info I guess, but presentation wise, to me, seemed like 11 minutes of fluff, filler, and debunking, and just 2-3 minutes of meat and potatoes. Don't take offense MJ, I appreciate your efforts. When I pick up practically any nonfiction book these days, there are 10 chapters on the "problem" and 2 chapters on the solution. But those guys have to justify $25 charges for the paper.

My takeaway question was if the "line up" was in Golf Digest how would this keep millions of high handicappers from going overboard and flipping? Something inherent in the right action?

Last edited:
If this were a "tip of the month" for Golf Digest, there would probably be no mention of the line up. The tip would likely explain the throwout motion caused by directing the hands towards the target and how the club actually accelerates at a better pace when the energy on the handle feels like it is moving away from the target. That's just my take on it.

Good info I guess, but presentation wise, to me, seemed like 11 minutes of fluff, filler, and debunking, and just 2-3 minutes of meat and potatoes. Don't take offense MJ, I appreciate your efforts. When I pick up practically any nonfiction book these days, there are 10 chapters on the "problem" and 2 chapters on the solution. But those guys have to justify $25 charges for the paper.

My takeaway question was if the "line up" was in Golf Digest how would this keep millions of high handicappers from going overboard and flipping? Something inherent in the right action?

Blunt - but fair?

I like MJ's analysis and info - but I'd like to hear more on how to control lowpoint. Sure, the effort to achieve monstrous lag and fwd aiming points can tie you in knots - but I think most golfers who aren't steeped in TGM would intuitively recognise that. I felt like the underlying assumption of the video was that most golfers struggle with too much shaft lean. Is that a perception shared by other teachers on here?

I have spent the last week playing with and sometimes teaching my dad. He can break 80, but he can NOT hit the ball with forward shaft lean. I think a lot of of folks around here my try too hard for too much forward shaft lean, but I think most amateur golfers out there are still flipping at it. So I have the exact same worry that dbl had.

No, trying to achieve too much. Few people get there.

Fair enough. It's an interesting point that the effort of trying can be so counterproductive.

Do you think it would be fair to say that if, instead of fixating on lag angles and handpath, you work on ball turf contact and a forward divot, and if by whatever means you're seeing progress in the right direction in terms of divots, then it's quite hard for the average golfer to overdo it?

I like the idea of tangential handpath in transition to achieve better impact conditions though - could be a nice way of looking at things.

PING Pro Bubba Watson visited PING headquarters this morning to test out a few different G20 drivers.

293514_10150367906004181_85008854180_8109667_1841488426_n.jpg

Interesting that he got 1.51 on the smash factor. I always hear 1.5 is theoretical max. But this is the 2nd time I've seen Bubba with results over 1.5

Status
Not open for further replies.