Bubba

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon

New
Don't quite understand the logic here.Trackman is setup to monitor the sweetspot or the middle of the club.It doesn't monitor the part of the clubface where the ball contacts.

Let's say the ball contacts the extreme toe of the club.The clubhead speed at that point may be faster(but I doubt 3 mph faster),however you won't be getting the same COR so ball speed won't be the same as if you hit the middle,so you really should not get a higher smash factor reading.

surely then it is actually down to the sweetspot's profile, or how the COR varies over the face. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that there isn't much drop off over much of the face centre nowadays.
I do question the argument of increased speed towards the toe though. Brian has shown videos before where the face tracks pretty much straight through impact and has stated that rate of closure is minimal during the impact interval. Wouldn't this mean most of the clubhead has much the same speeed through impact (unless speed is calculated over a much longer interval).
Also, does anyone know exactly how trackman knows which bit of the clubhead it is measuring? I would have though this is very important, however I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

Last edited:

ej20

New
surely then it is actually down to the sweetspot's profile, or how the COR varies over the face. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that there isn't much drop off over much of the face centre nowadays.
I do question the argument of increased speed towards the toe though. Brian has shown videos before where the face tracks pretty much straight through impact and has stated that rate of closure is minimal during the impact interval. Wouldn't this mean most of the clubhead has much the same speeed through impact (unless speed is calculated over a much longer interval).
Also, does anyone know exactly how trackman knows which bit of the clubhead it is measuring? I would have though this is very important, however I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

Modern drivers are very forgiving but they are not that forgiving.I could be wrong but I can't see how COR is going to be the same at the toe of the club as in the middle.Jump up and down in the middle and then the edge of your trampolne and then tell me if the rebound effect is the same.

There are unscrupulous people around who buy a driver from the conforming list and then "shave " the face thinner for a higher COR.The only way you can tell it's illegal is by testing it.

Never heard of this before. Seems like you could tell from tooling marks of some kind. Sounds like the same people who put Chapstick on the face to hit it straight.

What are your thoughts on going to a big box store, testing 5-6 "identical" conform listed drivers, and then picking the one that gives the highest smash (above 1.50)? Is that cheating?

Last edited:

ej20

New
Never heard of this before. Seems like you could tell from tooling marks of some kind. Sounds like the same people who put Chapstick on the face to hit it straight.

What are your thoughts on going to a big box store, testing 5-6 "identical" conform listed drivers, and then picking the one that gives the highest smash (above 1.50)? Is that cheating?

Well that would be a grey area I suppose.I don't think it would be cheating if you inadvertently bought a driver that was just over the legal COR due to manufacturing tolerance.Picking one out deliberately that was over the limit is really the same as shaving the face in my opinion but it's definitely a grey area.

Looks like I'm going to buy some more chapstick. Does one brand work better than the other, I mean should I rock Carmex, Blistex or something cheaper???

Status
Not open for further replies.