Calvin Peete Analysis (now w/ a page 18 blog post by Brian Manzella)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Brian mentioned that Calvin's clubface stays very open until very late in the downswing. So there needs to be quite a fast rate of closure to square the face. Is he such a straight hitter because of this or in spite of it? He seems to be suggesting that this is one of the reasons why he hits it so straight. So for a beginner golfer who has no preference, should we teach them this higher rate of rotation type swing for better control? It is a bit counter-intuitive, although I can see how it can work for one particular golfer who has practiced for many years.

Second question is, how does he square up the face so quickly?

Calvin squares the club up by swinging his arms inward while he lowers the handle, and turning his chest. Not much going on with his arms as far as rotation.

He zeroed out all the way around.

So Brian....help me through all this in relation to "the new release" (anti-handle dragging over leaning) and being effective at "zeroing out" .... So a cat like say Sergio with some major acute angle has basically got the handle waaay forward of whatever "neutral" is....this predisposed to a bunch of swinging right that he's gotta account for assuming he's gonna zero out....so one way would be to "dump the angle" uncock left wrist and unbend right wrist ala Sergio....or reduce the handle forward by tilting back a bunch maybe? Or some combo of them moves and plain old swinging left?

All that (and probably way more variables) vs. say a Stricker/Peete model....who are much closer to "neutral" earlier in the downstroke with the handle position and therefore can hit it straighter easier? But is there anything the Strickers/Peetes give up? Assuming this analysis is anywhere close to correct....

If you lower the handle don't you lose speed? I do.

Did Cal P. limit his use of NO. 3 accumulator? I lose a massive amount of distance if I do. No desire for 50 yard less drives.

natep

New
If you lower the handle don't you lose speed? I do.

Did Cal P. limit his use of NO. 3 accumulator? I lose a massive amount of distance if I do. No desire for 50 yard less drives.

Im pretty sure I used to get more out of #3 with a lower handle. Seems like the closer the angle between the arm and club is to 90 degrees the faster it goes when you roll the forearm. I went through a phase of doing this with a weak grip and I was hitting it as long as ever doing that.

Last edited:
Is it related that many of the players with that bowed impact condition tend to have grips stronger than strong? i.e. Tommy Gainey, Dustin Johnson.

TeeAce

Thank You Brian about that video. I think I found why we don't agree. You are not doing Palmar flexion in that video, but RD much more, like we all can see here
ManzRD.jpg
You have also made pronation at your left forearm and by that we can see the back of your left hand facing the camera. So you are arching it more at UD/RD side when my arching is PF/DF side. That's also reason why you move the head away from its position (not really open it but move it on the arc) and I keep it where it was

Here is my video about those moves and also explain long term confusions about supination term using wrong way

Do you know what the problem with this thread really is? The Atlantic Ocean. The different approach to the same thing in two different cultures. The Germanic/Scandinavian approach is to define it by anatomy, the American approach is to define it by real golfing moves.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
With all due respect, you cannot do that demonstration holding the club along the base of your fingers and stronger than Ed Fiori.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
A super, duper slicer has more than likely rotated his arm a ton on the backswing, opening the club. He then tries to close it by getting it above the plane by cupping the wrist. Then on the way down the arm stays rotated and the pull of the club flattens the wrist, opening it more.

Dariusz J.

Why not going practical and to observe the clubface and its relation to the hypothetical square-to-the-arc position in a given phase of the motion. Same as I described with Hogan and S-E-N-W directions. Ultimately, this is what matters.

Cheers

TeeAce

Why not going practical and to observe the clubface and its relation to the hypothetical square-to-the-arc position in a given phase of the motion. Same as I described with Hogan and S-E-N-W directions. Ultimately, this is what matters.

Cheers

You mean like this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y3ZiqTAEt8A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dariusz J.

You mean like this?

Yep. But in several different phases, say: p4, p5 p6, p7, etc. and better with driver face since loft darkens the picture. You would need to have the square-to-the-arc position determined correctly and just compare.

Cheers

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Not interested anymore.

My video was plain as day.

Take the loss like a gentleman and lets move on.

We were just starting to get to REAL answers about the swing again.....

brianid

Bowing, cupping, angled, UD, RD, DF, PF, WTF...

What you guys think of the opinion that with pure PF, face closes at top of BS but opens at impact?

I thought I've had it down pat when I concluded that pure PF just opens the face. But yeah, changing the left wrist/arm-shaft angle affects how much the face closes/opens. More angle on top (perpendicularish), it closes; less angle at impact, it opens?

So BM, both Ben and Jimmy are right?

And going back to Calvin Peete, does he hit it long as well by tour standards?

Status
Not open for further replies.