Clearing my hips

Status
Not open for further replies.

joep

New
I`m having trouble clearing my hips in the downswing especially trying the new realease.
Some one posted this

Brian gave me a drill where you start with the club in front of the ball and make a follow through swing where you take your body and club to about the point when the butt of the club is pointing back at the ball. From there you keep your lower body at that point and return the club behind the ball. It really gives you a feeling of where you can get your hips and shoulder at impact.

Could someone explain this so I can understand it better OR does anyone have any tips on clearing the hips..Thanks

I`m having trouble clearing my hips in the downswing especially trying the new realease.
Some one posted this

Brian gave me a drill where you start with the club in front of the ball and make a follow through swing where you take your body and club to about the point when the butt of the club is pointing back at the ball. From there you keep your lower body at that point and return the club behind the ball. It really gives you a feeling of where you can get your hips and shoulder at impact.

Could someone explain this so I can understand it better OR does anyone have any tips on clearing the hips..Thanks

No disrespect and not being coy, but why? How does it influence your ball striking?

joep

New
Because I slide forward in front of the ball and dont finish my swing. Thanks for answering my question

Some one posted this

Per Jacobs: "Let the swing recruit the body". The body somehow knows what has to be done to support the swing. You just have to learn how to let it do its thing (not so easy, admittedly).

Drew

Drew

Because I slide forward in front of the ball and dont finish my swing. Thanks for answering my question

Do you have video capability? Hips and rotation questions are a lot like "the chicken or the egg" question. In m experience the hips do not open poperly because the arms and club are left too far behind in the transition. The body then stalls rotation to allow the arms and club to catch up.

Another way to look at it - If you jump off the back foot to early with lateral motion then you have nothing to drive rotation. I think we are finding that staying "back" a split second long is aiding many people.

Just some thoughts

joep

New
Yes I do seem to swing off my back foot, and I have an early release. So by hanging back longer wont that not have me get to the left side. What would be the right way for me to take the club back. Start with my arms and hands or tuning my right side back?

Last edited:

footwedge

Do you have video capability? Hips and rotation questions are a lot like "the chicken or the egg" question. In m experience the hips do not open poperly because the arms and club are left too far behind in the transition. The body then stalls rotation to allow the arms and club to catch up.

Another way to look at it - If you jump off the back foot to early with lateral motion then you have nothing to drive rotation. I think we are finding that staying "back" a split second long is aiding many people.

Just some thoughts

Can't it work the opposite way also? If you stay back too long already and try and stay there longer what's going to drive the rotation then, won't it be too late and then it's slap at it , flip it before impact, fat and thin, all arms and hands? What do you think is that a possibility?

You get no power from consciously rotating/sliding your hips. None. You get no power from consciously rotating your arms or your legs or your shoulders either. You get power from moving the club head faster. It's all in your hands. Your body will support the motion if you let it. Try to feel like your lower body is very stable. It will of course look differently than you will feel, depending on how fast you can get that clubhead moving. Try to let it happen rather than forcing the issue. If it helps, try to think about not moving your head forward and see what happens.

Chubbs was a liar. I also feel sorry for anyone who bought that Somax hip trainer.

Last edited:

footwedge

You get no power from consciously rotating/sliding your hips. None. You get no power from consciously rotating your arms or your legs or your shoulders either. You get power from moving the club head faster. It's all in your hands. Your body will support the motion if you let it. Try to feel like your lower body is very stable. It will of course look differently than you will feel, depending on how fast you can get that clubhead moving. Try to let it happen rather than forcing the issue. If it helps, try to think about not moving your head forward and see what happens.

Chubbs was a liar. I also feel sorry for anyone who bought that Somax hip trainer.

What if I do the opposite and use my torso rotation to sling my arms and hands and let the power come out thru my relaxed wrists and it works for me and I hit the crap out of it, should I change and throw the club at the ball? What if it looks not so perfect yet I hit it real good should I change? It's a bit confusing to me I feel like I do the exact opposite of what you describe yet I hit it great, weird?

Last edited:

Can't speak about what's actually happening in my swing because I've never been on a 3d machine but I consciously unwind my hips as hard as I can and generate over 120mph ch speed w/ my driver. I never do anything consciously with my hands other than hold on to the club. To say that you don't get power from rotating the hips is funny to me. The faster I turn them the farther I tend to hit the ball.

Oh, and I'm 5'8" and 155lbs.

Can't speak about what's actually happening in my swing because I've never been on a 3d machine but I consciously unwind my hips as hard as I can and generate over 120mph ch speed w/ my driver. I never do anything consciously with my hands other than hold on to the club. To say that you don't get power from rotating the hips is funny to me. The faster I turn them the farther I tend to hit the ball.

Oh, and I'm 5'8" and 155lbs.
I don't see why flinging your hips open has any bearing on the clubhead and creating the speed. The golf club is not connected to your lower body. It is definitely a chicken and the egg argument in my opinion. The less I "try" to do with them the more they look like they just fling open. Basically I just try to listen to what Sam Snead said and feel like it all goes together.

If you can explain it to me as if I were a 5 year old why it works then I'm all ears.

Last edited:
What if I do the opposite and use my torso rotation to sling my arms and hands and let the power come out thru my relaxed wrists and it works for me and I hit the crap out of it, should I change and throw the club at the ball? What if it looks not so perfect yet I hit it real good should I change? It's a bit confusing to me I feel like I do the exact opposite of what you describe yet I hit it great, weird?
If you don't think it's broken then don't try to fix it.

I am certainly not advocating just swinging your arms across your chest. What you are describing with the torso sling is still a dragging of the handle through the hitting area with absolutely no leverage on the club and would require a stall or high right shoulder just to get somewhat square again. That's fine if you hit it great that way. It probably looks like try-hard ass and there is a much easier alternative is what I'm trying to say. I am more implying one should feel their arm and hand flow be supported by the body rather than having the arms crash into it.

Last edited:

scorekeeper

No disrespect and not being coy, but why? How does it influence your ball striking?

I would imagine it WILL help his ball striking.....or influence......simply because Brian gave him the drill...so Brian must have thought he needed to work on that......I have never known Brian to do something WITHOUT REASON

Brian did not give the OP the drill. He is taking a personal lesson tip from another poster and trying to incorporate that feel into his own swing.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
dschultz, even though we now know that pivot "work" doesnt really reach the clubhead, it doesnt mean that firing the hips cant be a key thought for some players. Feel vs real. Firing the hips, or whatever, can help with arm speed. Couple that with good natural sequence and you get alot of clubhead speed. Hip motion can also be the sam for some as "the jump" which speeds the club. However, Im a bit wary of anyone who says they stay on the back foot too long. I havent ever seen a golfer make a sufficient tun and just stay back there too long. They either underturn and fall to the right side or come out of there turn real quickly, stall and then fall back to the right. Both can feel like they "never get off the back foot"

Hey guys, Brian's video "Confessions of a Former Flipper" addresses specifically pivot-controlled power. The issue is what will bring the arms and hands into the impact zone: the hands and/or arms themselves or a properly executed pivot that assists in squaring up the club face at impact? dschultz and I have had a lively discussion the past week or so on this, so I know what perspective he is coming from. But I am more inclinced myself to regard CONSCIOUS body movement (for now) to pivot properly so that the hands and arms are in their proper hitting positions to smash the ball. It must be conscious thought that does it at first (just like conscious thought about walking, riding a bike, making love - woke you up on that one!). After a while, it becomes unconscious motion (happens naturally). I have tried using my hands as the power source and that is how I became a flipper in the first place. Because I am learning to pivot correctly (yes, consciously), I will soon be a former flipper.

What helps me is having my weight on my left foot before I start down with the arms. I "feel like" I am shifting my weight as the club reaches parallel on the backswing. It does not look like it on video but it is what I feel like I am doing. The less weight on my right foot when I start down, the faster I "feel like" I can turn my hips.

I would imagine it WILL help his ball striking.....or influence......simply because Brian gave him the drill...so Brian must have thought he needed to work on that......I have never known Brian to do something WITHOUT REASON
Excuse me scorekeeper, but I was trying to understand what the OP was trying to achieve. You will notice I asked HOW it will influence his ball striking. It was an honest question looking for an honest answer. Thank you for adding nothing.

Can't it work the opposite way also? If you stay back too long already and try and stay there longer what's going to drive the rotation then, won't it be too late and then it's slap at it , flip it before impact, fat and thin, all arms and hands? What do you think is that a possibility?

Anything is possible. That is why I asked if he had video.

Wedgy,

No. And don't ask again. Your position is well known. No need to flog a dead horse.

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.