Clearing my hips

Status
Not open for further replies.

footwedge

I am giving my position because when I asked for help about increasing club head speed all I got were answers about working on my pivot. Get your hips open this rotate your shoulders that blah blah blah. Guess what? Didn't work. I go to my pro with some retarded looking attempt at squatting into the ground and flinging my hips open and he shakes his head. I tell him I'm working on it. He tells me it's a waste of time. He has 125 mph with the driver and is built like a beanpole, so I listen. He tells me you want to feel stable with your lower body and the clubhead speed has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH LOWER BODY.

Fast forward a couple weeks later. Here I am with low-mid 150s ball speed, an average 270 total drive (couple 285s on the course, no wind no downhill no bull) and hitting bunkers I've never hit before off the tee all from WORKING ON MY HAND ACTION AND NOT TRYING TO DO ANY SORT OF SUPER FAST TURN OR JUMP OR JERK. And my pivot? I guess it looks good. It's working the way it's supposed to I would imagine, but honestly I don't give a rats ass because I am seeing the ball fly the way I want it to: STRAIGHTER AND FURTHER.

So as you can see, I have a reason to be a little more than adamant about telling people to learn how to release in their hands before looking like a goofball with their pivot. MOVE THE CLUBHEAD FAST. PERIOD. END OF STORY. YOUR HIPS/LEGS ARE NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING REGARDING THE CLUBHEAD. YOUR SPINE IS NOT A ROD, IT IS MANY VERTEBRAE AND IT DOES NOT ROTATE UNIFORMLY.

Whew.

Jeffy: listen at 1:20. No effort to what?

I'm not talking about clubhead speed , you really think I don't know how to create clubhead speed? Tell me how you deliver it to the position you need it in to be effective. You assume I'm talking about pivot like crazy I'M NOT! All that speed is useless unless you have a delivery mechanism, I never mentioned the spine or what ever else you think I said. The squat is an effect just like lot's of things in the swing, work on all the effects and work on all the effects.

Do what ever works for you, I'm not telling you what to do how could I? I'M NOT YOU! but then again your not me, so what you say you do and what you feel you do may be poison for someone else, there's options and intentions that can get the same result and feel totally different than what your saying so calm down your way is a way not the only way.

Of course you have to learn how to deliver speed to the ball. That's an entirely different story. That's the reason why I or anyone else can't rely on a maxed out swing out their ass and we have to dial back. My qualm is people who don't quite know how to generate the speed are being told to "do" things that make absolutely no sense. They have no idea how to put heat on the ball.

I've still yet to hear someone explain to me as if I were a 5 year old how hip rotation speed or any sort of lower body motion turns into clubhead speed.

footwedge

Of course you have to learn how to deliver speed to the ball. That's an entirely different story. That's the reason why I or anyone else can't rely on a maxed out swing out their ass and we have to dial back. My qualm is people who don't quite know how to generate the speed are being told to "do" things that make absolutely no sense. They have no idea how to put heat on the ball.

I've still yet to hear someone explain to me as if I were a 5 year old how hip rotation speed or any sort of lower body motion turns into clubhead speed.

Well I guess they will have to wait for the project 1.68 dvd instructional to come out and then we can all see the how to's and the what for's etc. looking forward to that.

I believe your post is key ds. I think a lot about what Mike and Brian are trying to achieve with this new instruction. My read: making it easier for the every day player or the beginner to achieve as powerful and efficient swing as they can given their individual limitations. Muscling the club around with the pivot obviously works for footwedge. No argument there. The question is will that technique work for most people? I believe that Manzella/Jacobs are searching for a golf swing that will work for the majority of the people that they teach. And this is what I admire about these guys. They are passionate about making us better golfers. As Brian says "all the rest is showbiz".

Drew

joep

New
Ask a simple question and 45 answers larer I still dont know what to do. Brian were are you????????????????

I believe your post is key ds. I think a lot about what Mike and Brian are trying to achieve with this new instruction. My read: making it easier for the every day player or the beginner to achieve as powerful and efficient swing as they can given their individual limitations. Muscling the club around with the pivot obviously works for footwedge. No argument there. The question is will that technique work for most people? I believe that Manzella/Jacobs are searching for a golf swing that will work for the majority of the people that they teach. And this is what I admire about these guys. They are passionate about making us better golfers. As Brian says "all the rest is showbiz".

Drew

The only thing I would change is they are trying to find the most efficient swing period.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I`m having trouble clearing my hips in the downswing especially trying the new realease.
Some one posted this

Brian gave me a drill where you start with the club in front of the ball and make a follow through swing where you take your body and club to about the point when the butt of the club is pointing back at the ball. From there you keep your lower body at that point and return the club behind the ball. It really gives you a feeling of where you can get your hips and shoulder at impact.

Could someone explain this so I can understand it better OR does anyone have any tips on clearing the hips..Thanks

If you do the "new release" to the letter it SHOULD put you in a position where your hips and body react. This may not help unless it makes you realize you may be trying make something happen that should just be allowed to happen.

I kind of took the new information on the release thread from transition down as: Pushing away from your leftward moving pivot (right handed golfer). Hips are making a move towards the target, club moving away from target. Over doing it would be bad, but I gotta think some power and flexibility from the hips would come in handy.

If you do the "new release" to the letter it SHOULD put you in a position where your hips and body react. This may not help unless it makes you realize you may be trying make something happen that should just be allowed to happen.

So when are you gonna post up your new swing?

footwedge

You know nothing about my swing,who said I was muscling the club around? Your not even close. You still have to get those arms and hands in position, how are you going to do that ? Something has to get them there they can't just jump off your shoulders and fly there by themselves. Answer this , why do people run out of right arm and have throw away?

Is it because they don't have target awarness or something else, please tell me.

How about intention before you swing what would that cause, what would it look like on video can you tell what I'm thinking before I swing and how that will affect my swing since you know it so well,tell me all about my swing.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Footwedge, a lot of people run out of right arm with throwaway because they overuse their downswing pivots and have to throw the club to catch up. Why do you think they do?

footwedge

Footwedge, a lot of people run out of right arm with throwaway because they overuse their downswing pivots and have to throw the club to catch up. Why do you think they do?

I never said anything about over using your pivot, show me where I told anyone to over use their pivot. Can you under use it?

footwedge

I never said you did say that. You asked a question. Why so defensive??

I asked a question but I'm sure there's other answers besides over pivoting , maybe a better player or someone who has over cooked it but there's always the other side of the coin. Defensive,maybe because people keep trying to put a pivot like crazy spin on what I'm saying and they even know my swing without ever seeing it, I already said I wasn't talking about pivoting like crazy earlier in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.