Clubpaths, and Hogan vs. Tiger 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you like flat swings with alot of lag:)

Just for a little context, when Kevin closes his eyes and thinks of the ideal golf swing, he sees something like this :)

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tYbtDMveiaQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Just a disclaimer. Mr Newman has about 5 books in his bathroom, 3 were written by Faldo. Secret man crush.

I will be wearing my Maiden shirt to the Mill Creek Shields Invitational. I expect you to be there.

Not to toss any more fuel on the fire........

But has anyone ever made a reasonably accurate estimate of what sort of numbers Hogan would have put up on Trackman?

And conversely, Tiger's numbers in 2000-2002?

Resume man love............

Next.

masl01_hogan_masters.jpg

Last edited:
Nice clip, Kevin. Great visual for what Brian talked about regarding the body being stable for the line up. I also like how he's not still at all before he pulls the trigger.
+2
Shows slack at the top of the back swing and starting the hands/arms without tugging too.

+2
Shows slack at the top of the back swing and starting the hands/arms without tugging too.

Faldo was known for his desire to emulate Hogan. But I hear when Faldo visited Hogan at Shady Oaks, Hogan refused to watch him hit balls on the driving range. "I think I'll just finish my chardonnay," he said.

ej20

New
I would love to see a very early Faldo before he rebuilt his swing but none is available on YT.He has a very distinct layoff move in the transition similar to Hogan and I wonder if this has always been in his swing or was it developed after watching Hogan.He certainly talked about this "loop" in one of his books so it must have been a concious technique.

Dariusz J.

All I would really say is Tiger could hit every single shot Hogan could but Hogan couldnt come close to hitting the shots Tiger could. I dont see how anybody could argue that. How can anybody argue against that????!!!

How would you know ? Did you see Hogan hitting balls ? The fact that you saw Woods crushing balls means nothing when you have no comparison. Nicklaus and others had and I believe them, not you.
As per shots that supposedly Woods could hit - could he place his ball 4 days in a row on a very similar spot on a fairway (invisible from tee) with a driver (as Toski said today's guys would have problem to repeat it with a wedge) ? I am afraid he would not hit this fairway at all...ROFL.

really? The man who's played numerous rounds of golf with both guys who happens to be the greatest "Golfer" of all time says Hogan is the best ball striker he's ever seen. wtf are we talkin about here? Anyone else who's played with Hogan/Tiger wanna weigh in? Tiger couldn't hit the broad side of a barn right now.

Exactly.

Cheers

Ok Hogan is the best, and his ball striking is much superior than Woods or Nicklaus. Hogan can hit all shots Woods can hit and Hogan is so much better than it's an insult to compare the two. Can we talk about something else now. Thx.

All I can say is...

if half of this Hogan stuff is true (18 greens in regulation, driver accurate to within a dustbin lid, etc)..

how poor was his putting??

I've seen these kind of stats myself, in 'Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12'. Like when I posted a 37 under to win the masters...

Dariusz J.

All I can say is...

if half of this Hogan stuff is true (18 greens in regulation, driver accurate to within a dustbin lid, etc)..

how poor was his putting??

So poor (after accident, i.e. when he played best golf) that Bolt said if he (Hogan) putted 25% as Palmer did he would have won 50 more tournaments on Tour. So poor that witnesses (not only pros like Nicklaus but also ordinary casual golfers) said that if they could putt for Hogan he would have easily won tournaments.

Of course, there will be naysayers who say that these witnesses must have been heavily drunk...LOL.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say that when Feherty interviewed Darren Clarke for his show, Clarke talked about hitting balls next to TW circa 2001 and mentioned that it was the most incredible thing he had witnessed. TW hit a bag of balls, moving through the bag, without taking a divot. Of course, Clarke mentioned that every shot was pured.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
You have to love the tall (and getting taller i.e. Toski) tales woven by old men. Men and especially golfers get more sentimental with age. These Bunyanesque tales evoke an emotion of youth and relevance and a reminder of times gone by. You really can't blame them for being proud of the people they knew or the things they saw but a lot of these anecdotes are just pure sentiment and wishful remembrance.

Dariusz J.

You have to love the tall (and getting taller i.e. Toski) tales woven by old men. Men and especially golfers get more sentimental with age. These Bunyanesque tales evoke an emotion of youth and relevance and a reminder of times gone by. You really can't blame them for being proud of the people they knew or the things they saw but a lot of these anecdotes are just pure sentiment and wishful remembrance.

True. However, are you able to confirm to us which of Hogan tales were untrue anecdotes ? I have not heard a single one that seemed impossible. The more it all happened not in Homer's times where all possible eye witnesses died centuries ago. I see no reason why e.g. Nicklaus would like to overglorify Hogan at Woods's expense. Being in his shoes, he should do exactly the opposite knowing that only the latter is still able to throw him out of the throne.

BTW, I know another type of syndrome - to overglorify contemporary athletes which is just typical for younger generation. This is what fans of such Woods's, Messis and Nadals, etc. do.

Cheers

If Faldo was such a great ballstriker, then why did he hit it so short (probably the reason he's not on the senior tour right now)?

It's worth noting that Faldo won his majors at Augusta back when it was a short course, which meant that putting mattered a lot more. And he won on hard and fast British links, where even short hitters like 59 year old Tom Watson and 53 year old Greg Norman almost won.

Status
Not open for further replies.